Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Beam Scale

Another question on new equipment. Need to purchase a scale and wondering if the Dillon beam scale is ok to start with for $55. Like the advantages of digital, but would like to keep costs down. I did read article in forum on setting up digital and a bit more involved then I realized. Does a beam scale require the same degree of accuracy and concern such as leveling bubbles and all. This is a very old concept, so I would think it is pretty accurate and reliable? Are they easy to use? Brand new to this hobby, buying the speers manual as it is supposed to have better info for new loaders then Lyman's.

One last question is there a lot of value to be gained from the Dillon DVD for $20, or is it a video version of the book.

I should think that a balance beam scale would be more likely to need a level work surface than the electronic, but that's more speculation on my part than anything.

IMHO, the main drawback of the beam scale is that it's slow to use. You dump a charge onto an electronic scale and you get your answer usually in not much more than a second. You do the same with a beam scale where you have to fiddle with the weights, it's gonna cost 5 or 10 seconds. It's also easier to trickle a charge onto an electronic scale (if you're inclined to that sort of thing).

Still, it is a much less expensive method, if you have the time.

Bought a Dillon beam scale 15 years ago when I bought my 650. It's about as complicated as a brick. Not much to go wrong. I'll grant that it is a bit slower to check charge weight, but if you don't mind that inconvenience of extra time, it sure is cheaper.

Bought a Dillon beam scale 15 years ago when I bought my 650. It's about as complicated as a brick. Not much to go wrong. I'll grant that it is a bit slower to check charge weight, but if you don't mind that inconvenience of extra time, it sure is cheaper.

... and works great! They are very easy to set up. You set the scale to Zero and then use the white pad and adjust it until the scale shows as balanced.

No reason to rush your measure anyway, but its not to slow. I have a cheapo electric and a dillon to back it up. Takes a sec to check level and set it on 3.4grn (in my case), and know that im right where I want to be...

BTW the frankford elec. Was only .01 off

EDIT: The dvd is nice, I never reloaded and it has me up and running with 0 problems

Edited by sdm74

I've used the Dillon Beam scale for over a Decade with great results. Reasonable cost. Easy to set up and adjust. Once set up you can check charge deviations in less than 5 seconds. Don't let anyone tell you it is slow for checking charge weights. It's not slow.

Best single reloading purchase I ever made.

Regards,

:D:D:D

I should think that a balance beam scale would be more likely to need a level work surface than the electronic, but that's more speculation on my part than anything.

You need a level surface for the electronic. The beam can be leveled easily using the foot. Thats how you zero the scale.

Dillon is one great beam for the money. You need to spend double to get a better beam scale.

i like the beam scale personally. It seems like all i ever do with my electronic one is having to look for batteries all the times it goes dead. electronic scales are great for changing powders and experimenting with different loads, but if you plan to use the same powder charge most of the time a beam scale is all you will need.

think of it this way. a beam scale will last for ever and is very accurate. a digital scale may or may not work when you turn it on. a digital can loose its memory at any given time due to many factors such as loss of power or power spikes etc. digitals are nice although the beam type are the over all best for accuracy, longivity, etc. why try to be fast when loadind. take your time and tripple check everything and you will produce great trouble free ammo. your choice what you buy. just my 2 cents

I have a couple of beam scales I've used over the years . . . don't use them anymore though!

The auto dispensing digital scales, though pricey at $300+, are amazing and will spoil you in a hurry. I have the RCBS Chargemaster http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=772151. You can set the weight you want it to throw, it even slows and trickles the poweder grains as it finishes each charge. You take the precision weighed powder, pour it into the cartrige case, put the little pan back on the scale, and while you seat and finish loading the case, the Chargemaster precision meters out and weighs the next load for you. For doing precision rifle cartriges on a single stage press, it can't be beat for accuracy and convenience.

bumper

Thanks for all the input. I am starting off with the Dillon Beam scale. I think this will work well with the 650 as was I develop a loud I think I will double check a few times at the start and then every 100 rounds when I add primers. Maybe some day I will add an electronic scale as funds become available and I feel it is needed.

When I bought my Dillon beam scale at Dillon a few years back they actually talked me out of buying a digital scale. I've never regretted the decision and will never change. There's lots of threads on here on how to get the best measurements if accuracy is your concern. Personally, I like the averaging method that Brian recommends.

when I moved out many years ago my Dad gifted me his old Ohaus beam scale and I have since obtained an RCBS beam scale as a backup/ second opinion since it is highly unlikely to set 2 scales wrong , he "upgraded" to a PACT electronic scale

fast forward to last weekend ,.. new ( to him) M-1 Garand and New Dies,.. he gets ready to load ( press full of primers and powder etc. ) and his power cord craps out.... and I now live 3 states away... so he got to search all weekend for a new power cord found one at radio shack so hes set now..

guess I will "gift" him a beam scale back at some point.. since I have 2 now

And whats the big difference in taking "5 or 10 seconds " longer ??? Besides I like my fluorescent lighted bench try that with an electronic scale...

John