Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powered 550b

Sorry if this has been brought up before...I don't get to this forum often.

My shoulders are reaching a point where it is starting to get painful pulling the handle on a 550B. Has anyone added a power option to a Dillon press? Details? Pictures? I read somewhere that doing something like this voids the warranty, but I still need to think about it. Private email is best.

Thanks

Cap

KB1IIX@ARRL.net

Private email is best.

I had a total right shoulder replacement last April. The information you requested, needs to be shared for everyone’s benefit, not just yours. You can set it up, so you will receive an email when someone replies.

A.T.

seems kinda weird to me since you still gonna have to manual index the machine.. maybe sell it and buy a 650 and you wont have to do anything if you add a bullet feeder also. just push go watch and turn off

seems kinda weird to me since you still gonna have to manual index the machine.. maybe sell it and buy a 650 and you wont have to do anything if you add a bullet feeder also. just push go watch and turn off

+1 Or a 1050

I agree with the 1050. It is sooo easy to build rounds and of course, is really fast at it. I have used Hormady One Shot, but have since switched to the Dillon lube. This also seems to make using the press even easier.

I hate to say it.....try a 1050. Less mechanical action going on and with case lube it will be much better on you, plus you can set it up, load a couple hundred rounds in minutes. When you are fatigued, go away and come back when you are feeling better. The push priming on the 650 you won't like either.......

The mechanized units are a lot of work, and require a lot of TLC, keeping them clean, and tweaking this or that to keep running 100%. With the plastic parts on the 650 I don't know how long you could run it mechanized........just thinking out loud.

Find someone with a 1050 locally and give it a whirl. There is a reason why they fly off the assembly line and are snapped up in a heartbeat when they are for sale...... :cheers:

DougC

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:14 AM

automating a machine that you have to put your hands inside of the working and mechanically advantaged parts is a no no...Definitely 650 or 1050 with PW autodrive

Plus I agree with Doug.

Unless you invest the money in a 1050, I suspect you will invest more in trying to "successfully" convert the 550 than the cost of a 1050 or three, then to reduce the effort required on a 550 you have to put a roller handle on, plus ensure you (as others have already stated) use a good lubricant. Dillon or Aerosol One Shot.

Get the 1050. I didn't think I needed one until I got one. Order it from Mr. Enos and he'll get you fixed up. Put some case lube on the brass and you won't feel any pain at all.

It's the push-forward priming that tore up my elbow.