Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Be quick, but don't hurry

IL-SIG

This may have been discussed before, but I think this John Wooden quote is perfect for our sport too.

I often read people asking how to shoot faster, see faster etc. "Be quick, but don't hurry" seems to capture the advice that is typically given.

Just a thought.

It took me a long time to figure that out. But now i can see it, I thought speed was all speed but finally realized that just being quick and relaxed i was much faster with less fumble during every aspect of my shooting. It feels like im going slower but the times dont lie.

I think that too much emphasis is put on shooting fast and not enough emphasis is placed on efficient movement skills. The key to shooting is to take the time you need to make the shot but don't waste any. I'm at the break point for B in open, in a stage with little or no movement I'm shooting right in there with the the GM's and M's but on stages with a lot of movement they smoke me so I'm concentrating on getting there shooting and backing out shooting, spending more time on the stage shooting and less quite time. Its points per second and when you are not shooting you are not making points.

I am all relaxed then that damn buzzer goes off and all i want to do is hurry. Finally getting to the point to where i am relaxed and focused on the task at hand rather than just hurry up and be all spastic instead of smooth

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

My shooting buddies tell me that when I'm rushing, missing and shooting crappy. I've heard it a bunch lately ;-).

I am all relaxed then that damn buzzer goes off and all i want to do is hurry. Finally getting to the point to where i am relaxed and focused on the task at hand rather than just hurry up and be all spastic instead of smooth

The Set Topic might offer some help with the IPSC shooter's main cause of woe: "I know exactly what I am going to do, I'm all loose and relaxed, then the buzzer goes off and I react like a cattle prod was just shoved up my ass."

;)

I know that for me, when I stopped trying to do things FASTER and started working on doing things SOONER a lot of thing started to fall into place. A good example is to have a mind set of seeing more so I can call the shot as soon as possible. Instead of trying to "Go Fast" by adding more brute force speed into the equation, look at it from the other side and remove inefficiencies so you can do things sooner. Once you realize that there will always be something to optimize in order to make it more efficient the opportunity to do things sooner is pretty limitless.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

My shooting buddies tell me that when I'm rushing, missing and shooting crappy. I've heard it a bunch lately ;-).

The Set Topic might offer some help with the IPSC shooter's main cause of woe: "I know exactly what I am going to do, I'm all loose and relaxed, then the buzzer goes off and I react like a cattle prod was just shoved up my ass."

;)

Thanks brian going to put that in the beginning of all my dryfire sessions

Edited by calvary45

I go with the slow is smooth, smooth is fast approach. Ever tried to really rush out of your house? it's when you drop your keys and spill the coffee.

I try to make every movement be doing something, shooting, reloading, moving, whatever. Waste not time nor energy, and use as little motion as possible, but do it effectively.

Like If I rip the gun out of the holster and swing up fast, it jiggles at end point. But if I just draw it like I'm supposed to, I'm right on target.

It seems like EVERY time I concentrate on going slow and hitting A's I end up getting a faster time. EVERY. Now, why don't I do that every stage?? I'll never know...

Perhaps some of that is because the personality types that are attracting to IPSC shooting tend naturally enjoy doing things as quickly as possible.

Even aftert 20 years of hardcore competing, I had to talk myself down before shooting, before every stage.

be