Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA makes Distinquished Master Class

hankfan79

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this on the IDPAforum. What gets me is that IDPA goes out of their way not to use ipsc terminology. Can't be a Grand Master.

At the awards banquet at the 2011 IDPA Indoor Nationals a couple hours ago, Joyce Wilson announced that there is now a Distinguished Master Class. To get in this class a person has to be Division Champion at a Nationals, either the regular one or the Indoor. Also, if there is a person who places within 3% of the DC they will get bumped up too. There were about 12 present who have won their division in the last 5 years and they were all inducted and received plaques for being in the inaugural class. These include, Bob Vogel, Dave Sevigny, Craig Buckland, Dan Burwell, Tom Yost, Jerry Miculek, Todd Jarret, Dave Olhasso, Gordon Carrell, Josh Lentz and one other whose name escapes me. Sorry about that.

Next years Indoors will be on the 22nd through the 25th of February.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and one other whose name escapes me. Sorry about that.

Robbie Leatham?

Rob wasn't there but someone added to what I posted over there with these:

Rob Leatham, Taran Butler, Donnie Burton and Curt Nichols

These are the others who got the bump.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this on the IDPAforum. What gets me is that IDPA goes out of their way not to use ipsc terminology. Can't be a Grand Master.

At the awards banquet at the 2011 IDPA Indoor Nationals a couple hours ago, Joyce Wilson announced that there is now a Distinguished Master Class. To get in this class a person has to be Division Champion at a Nationals, either the regular one or the Indoor. Also, if there is a person who places within 3% of the DC they will get bumped up too. There were about 12 present who have won their division in the last 5 years and they were all inducted and received plaques for being in the inaugural class. These include, Bob Vogel, Dave Sevigny, Craig Buckland, Dan Burwell, Tom Yost, Jerry Miculek, Todd Jarret, Dave Olhasso, Gordon Carrell, Josh Lentz and one other whose name escapes me. Sorry about that.

Next years Indoors will be on the 22nd through the 25th of February.

Glen Shelby

What gets me is that IDPA goes out of their way not to use ipsc terminology. Can't be a Grand Master.

It's understandable, though. That's part of what makes IDPA IDPA. It's part of their branding. They're 7up, the uncola. They're flame broiled. They eat more chikin.

Oh come on ...... Exalted Grand Poobah .............EGP? That's funny! :rolleyes:

Hey if you're going to invent a "new" class that "vaguely" resembles the USPSA concept of GM, and you actually WANT it to be slightly different from USPSA, don't ya agree that using 3 acronyms, instead of the old tired 2 acronym IPSC way of abbreviatin' Grand Master would be more IDPA-ish?

In my opinion (and we all know what thats worth), IDPA saw the errors "limitations" of the 4-class system, and once the writing on the wall was clear enough, followed right along with the USPSA in creating the 5th class, be that what it may. Call it GM, or DM, or Super Duper M for all I care, but when all the congratulations are done, they haven't told us anything we didn't already know. Oh really ...Todd, Dave, Rob, and Bob are DM's ??? Well sure. Does it help the lower M's ? Yeah. I suppose. Until you get accidentally bumped to DM via major match results, same thing that can happen in USPSA.

They have all the same basic divisions as USPSA, except for open. They just call them by different acronyms. SS = CDP, LTD = ESP, Prod = SSP. ....... RO's are called SO's, Centerline vs hipbone. And now they have the same classes as USPSA. DM = GM, M = M, etc. etc. and for the most part they have different acronyms there too. So I just think that in their effort to be "different" than USPSA, they became more like them than ever before.

No harm, no foul. I'll still keep playing the game I love playing. B)

So I just think that in their effort to be "different" than USPSA, they became more like them than ever before.

No harm, no foul. I'll still keep playing the game I love playing. B)

Well, not being able to actually earn your way to the DM class, except at one match per year, kinda makes it a little different. :D

Another question:

Will this be only for the division high overall, or will it be for divisional categories (High lady, etc.)?

If it's only the division high overall, you can almost forget about a woman making DM in IDPA. I hate for that to sound sexist, but historically it's never happened. On the other hand, if you start equivocating and making different rules for different groups you open up a whole other can of worms.

Edited by beltjones

Another question:

Will this be only for the division high overall, or will it be for divisional categories (High lady, etc.)?

If it's only the division high overall, you can almost forget about a woman making DM in IDPA. I hate for that to sound sexist, but historically it's never happened. On the other hand, if you start equivocating and making different rules for different groups you open up a whole other can of worms.

Good point ..... but then again how many woman GM's do you know in USPSA. Like you said, I don't want that to sound derogatory, but it's true. I can't think of any lady GM's. Can anybody else? And ironically, it would be much simpler to make GM in USPSA because of the classifer system.

But I'm sure they weren't really concerned with that when they made this new class.

I am not quite sure why the perception is that IDPA must use USPSA terms or they are idiots.

Have y'all googled "Distinguished Master and shooting"?

If so you would find that many shooting activities/sports use the "Distinguished Master" term.

Actually I kinda like that it is different than USPSA. When someone here says GM or DM I know what they are talking about. No confusion.

kr

Edited by freeidaho