Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass catcher

MARKAVELI

Over the weekend I Went to the range to test out some loads I wiped up asked a man shooting next to me if I can have his brass he said it was ok.. I started to set up and began to test loads for my 44 DE Magnum shooked the floor so much the worker came down and asked what I was shooting? I told em and asked if he would like to check it out he declined and said that thing is loud! Went about his business as I did and started picking up my brass the guy I asked if I can have his brass was headed upstairs leaving with his family but gave me some of his bras from a caliber I don't even load for but its cool cause some day I will when I went upstairs I over heard his him and his wife talkin about my weapon being loud and they couldn't consintrait... and today I went and the guy said to me.."I been waiting to see you some people been complaining that I have been interupting em collecting their brass, and not to interupt people in their shooting bays! Fine I didn't started to test other loads and picked upmy brass., the guy came downstairs and and warned me not to pick up my brass that I would need a brass catcher!" Is there such a thing as a brass catcher for hand guns? And any ideas that might help keep everyone happy? Like a link or something o_O I have never had this problem the past 10yrs I have been coming to that range and I think its a great place.... kinda disapointed! :-(

Edited by MARKAVELI

i have not done this yet, but have thought about it for the range I practice at. You could take a fishing net and put some smaller mesh or a solid material on it and make a cheap PVC stand for it. Just set that up next to where you are shooting and most of the brass should fall into the net area.

I am going to buy one of these large mesh tarps... you get a lot more tarp for the money. http://www.tarpsplus...de-screens.html

A blue tarp from any hardware store will cost less than 1/2 that.

You are right about the money but usually when I need to use a brass catcher it's less than perfect conditions at the range. I feel that mesh would dry out better and not pool any rain water/mud.

I am going to buy one of these large mesh tarps... you get a lot more tarp for the money. http://www.tarpsplus.com/meshtarps-single-tarps-black-mesh-tarps---shade-screens.html

I don't think they will allow me to use a tarp cause they might think I or someone else might trip over it.. The kid at the counter at the range said he has one for his 22 Cal.. What I'm thinking is they are now getting to the point that they just don't want me to go to their range and not pay for their expensive crappy ammo..

Lol... Thanx for the link's, didn't mean to wake the sleeping panda, I thought you would be up cause I know how much you hate sleeping... Lol... :-D

Lol... Thanx for the link's, didn't mean to wake the sleeping panda, I thought you would be up cause I know how much you hate sleeping... Lol... :-D

Buy one of those brass grabbers and tell me how well (or bad) it works.

@Grump O'La,Lol.. my range won't let me pick up my brass, said if they see me they are gona have me booted out the place and this is the place closest to me that I can shoot in such a short notice that allows me too shoot my reloads... I emailed Mr Tony Hanson owner of the brassgrabber he never replied so I called em and asked about his product talke for a few but one thing gets me, if I would never had called would he even reply? Or if I was to place an order would I even get my produsct delivered? So be my Guinea pig and buy to see if it gets delivered! Lol... Tony said he's a one man company ill give him a call tomorro and put my order in or should I say ill order it from his wesite cause he can't take my order over the phone.... wish me luck and ill let you all know how it works.. I also told em his product is talked about on the forums so maybe he will chime in...!

from my experience the ones that strap to your hand are crap, unless you have a gun that ejects directly tothe right, you are out of luck, if you are shooting off of a bench, i've seen people 'erect' a lil wire stand that had some sort of cheese cloth draped over it, andset it next to then onthe bench, and it caught everything, when they were done, the wadded up the cloth and folded up the wire and put it all in a bag...wiered how the range wont let you pick up your brass...cant see why not, lest other people are complaing your underfoot chasin your empties, the range i used to run, we would let people pick up the stuffthey shot, not vacum the range, which some did( we had a deal goin with a ammo company for his reloads for our brass) all in all it went fine, no dustups with managment like what your are describing

btw...the wire ball on a stick they sell in the dillon catalog(the actual name escapes me) is the BOMB for picking up brass on a flat surface such as an indoor range, not so good in soft sand or gravel but hard packed dirt, yup...

I made a little frame out of 1/2" PVC and then put it inside of the trim on a pillow case. Then it hangs on the side of the bay and I can adjust it so the brass goes right in. Gets about 95% of the brass and folds up real nice. Looks stupid I must say but it does work. :closedeyes:

the wire ball on a stick they sell in the dillon catalog(the actual name escapes me)...

The Brass Wizard.

If you're picking up walnuts, its the Nut Wizard.

If you were playing marbles, or picking up spilled candy, I guess it'd be the Aggie Wizard or the GumBall Wizard...

If you are collecting brass off the floor, definitely buy a nut wizard tool. I just ordered two more for my range (the mini-nut wizards) and they work awesome.

www.nutwizard.com (the mini isn't shown)

I used to shoot bullseye a lot and just made a catch with a small fishing net and weight. The commercial ones that fold up are very good too.

from my experience the ones that strap to your hand are crap, unless you have a gun that ejects directly tothe right, you are out of luck, if you are shooting off of a bench, i've seen people 'erect' a lil wire stand that had some sort of cheese cloth draped over it, andset it next to then onthe bench, and it caught everything, when they were done, the wadded up the cloth and folded up the wire and put it all in a bag...wiered how the range wont let you pick up your brass...cant see why not, lest other people are complaing your underfoot chasin your empties, the range i used to run, we would let people pick up the stuffthey shot, not vacum the range, which some did( we had a deal goin with a ammo company for his reloads for our brass) all in all it went fine, no dustups with managment like what your are describing

btw...the wire ball on a stick they sell in the dillon catalog(the actual name escapes me) is the BOMB for picking up brass on a flat surface such as an indoor range, not so good in soft sand or gravel but hard packed dirt, yup...

I might have did the underfoot chasing, was kinda busy not sure if they would let me use that catcher that is in the dillon magazine I'm going to have to check.. with summer around the corner I will have time to figure what I will be able to use, a buddy is tellling me there is a out door range in Moroco Indiana (Willow Slooot something like that) he knows the range master there and his kid and said that they might let me take the brass in the 5gal buckets and what's cool they also shot rifle there too so I'm hoping they might let me borrow aa bucket our two.... :-\

...wiered how the range wont let you pick up your brass...cant see why not...

Maybe the range wants to collect the brass to resell, or want to use/exchange it for the reloads they sell to shooters. One indoor range I go to has bags of range pickup brass for sale to reloaders as an additional revenue stream. However they will allow you to pickup YOUR OWN brass.

Another range (a distance away) will not allow you to bring your own ammo into the building. They claim it is for safety reasons. You are required to shoot their overpriced ammo and leave the brass (I don't go there).

...wiered how the range wont let you pick up your brass...cant see why not...

Maybe the range wants to collect the brass to resell, or want to use/exchange it for the reloads they sell to shooters. One indoor range I go to has bags of range pickup brass for sale to reloaders as an additional revenue stream. However they will allow you to pickup YOUR OWN brass.

Another range (a distance away) will not allow you to bring your own ammo into the building. They claim it is for safety reasons. You are required to shoot their overpriced ammo and leave the brass (I don't go there).

I second that! They want to make money and I am trying to save money... They don't understand some people have little babies and stuff.. :'( lol.... I'm still looking for a range near me who has brass for sale by me...

btw...the wire ball on a stick they sell in the dillon catalog(the actual name escapes me) is the BOMB for picking up brass on a flat surface such as an indoor range

for a nice flat surface like a concrete apron (or even a carpeted floor in an indoor range), the old broom and dustpan work pretty well too:roflol: