Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new issue with my glock

chefcs5

Ok im not great at explaining this stuff on line so ill just take you through it form beginning to end.

Ok my standard get ready routine on the LAMR command is this. do a draw, at my first target, check sight pic, seat mag, rack slide, do a slight pull back to check to make sure bullet is in chamber, holster etc.

Ok now all of a sudden when I am following this routine. Every time I draw after the buzzer and pull the trigger nothing happens.so I have to rack the slide. this is quite a problem. onc eI do it runs flawless. If I skip the step where I rack it back slightly to check for a chambered round then it doesnt do this. something is happening there and it makes it no go bang.

I am so used to this routine its hard to break and I like making sure it did get one in as I am using a magwell and extended mags. I have on occsaion had one not be in there. wich then again is a click with no bang and I have to rack the slide.

Any Ideas?

worn out part?

Thanks

does the trigger go just drop back with little or no resistance. What it can be doing is the trigger is slipping off the fp. Is it an aftermarket trigger specifically with the second hole drilled in the trigger? If so, they switching the trigger spring to the factory hole.

Rack it fully and like you mean it on "make ready".

I rack it nice and hard and it only sees to happen when I do the chamber check

Load it from slide lock...problem solved.

Edit to add: Done properly, that also serves as reload practice ;)

Even from slide lock its the same. no issue unless I do the chamber check

does the trigger go just drop back with little or no resistance. What it can be doing is the trigger is slipping off the fp. Is it an aftermarket trigger specifically with the second hole drilled in the trigger? If so, they switching the trigger spring to the factory hole.

Its only got 1 hole, it is an after market trigger bar but only the 1 hole

The extractor on gen3 and newer Glocks works as a loaded chamber indicator. How old is your gun?

It is a gen 3, I have just always doen a chamber check since I was shooting a gen 2

It seems maybe if I just can not do the chamber check and remember to check the loaded chamber indicator I would be fine. Just dunno why its doing it now. been fine for 2 years. I put all new springs in we will see if that makes any diffrence.

Thanks Guys

Edited by chefcs5

Chris, try holding the gun "gansta" (canted over on its left) when you pull the slide back to chamber. This way you can see the brass entering the chamber while letting it chamber under full spring pressure.

Just something else to try.....

DougC

Like GMan said - trip the slide release to chamber a round and then just leave it there.

To have the peace of mind that there really is a round in the chamber, load from a mag that has just one round in it. Drop slide, pop mag into your off hand, verify the stoker-mag is empty, load a fully-charged mag. If you don't want an empty mag in your pocket, toss it to a friend.

If you have a gun that groups pretty well except for a 1st-round flier, the trip-slide/leave-it-alone load will often cut that flier size in half.

Also, guns that occasionally nose-dive a round into the feed ramp [CZ/Tanfo] tend to do this less if you don't hand-cycle a full mag and then try to shoot that same mag. For table starts where you load then shoot on the clock, I try to use a mag loaded down 1-2 rounds if at all possible.

It sounds to me that YOU are causing a problem because you are worried about a problem that doesn't exist. By being afraid that you are not chambering a round (why? does your gun have a feed problem?) you are press checking your gun and not letting it go into battery. Fully seat the magaine and let the slide go. Why wouldn't it chamber a round?

Does the trigger look like it is forwad but when pulled just goes dead with no resistance? If so, It could be slipping off the striker. I had one that would do that with an aftermarket bar. I could press check and it would do it every time. It was slipping off the striker and never moving it. The trigger just felt like it went limp

If it's only occurring during a press check, then it most likely, IMO 99% sure, that it's your recoil spring. The spring is worn out or too light to snap the slide fully back into battery. From my notes from the Glock Armorer's course (doesn't make me an expert but this their info ;) ) Recoil Spring Test: Ride the slide slowly, and try to keep the slide from going into battery. Basically, see if you can keep the gun out of battery. (Let go of the slide when it's almost completely forward to see if it locks up) If you can, change the recoil spring. Also, found this reminder in my notes: Recoil springs for 9mm should be replaced every 5,000 rounds, .40 cal they recommend every 3,000. I know I don't replace mine that often but just some more info to ponder. Let us know. :D

ETA: Note: the recommendations for changing recoil springs are for factory springs, not aftermarkets. I have no idea how often to change ISMI, Wolff, etc... (When they're worn out I guess, :roflol: )

Edited by alpha-charlie

IETA: Note: the recommendations for changing recoil springs are for factory springs, not aftermarkets. I have no idea how often to change ISMI, Wolff, etc... (When they're worn out I guess, :roflol: )

My rule of thumb is every 5K rounds...whether they needed it or not :lol:

Curtis