Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure I understand

jaffo

OK,

So that I understand clearly.

I have been buying some brass online to get ready for my 650 purchase.

*Some of the brass will end up being crimped primers? (Military? WIN? Win NT? S&B )

Does this make it unloadable?

* How do I identify these before trying to reload them?

*Will I hurt my machine if I try to reload one of these?

#I've read things like "too tight" and "won't seat all the way" would this make it more likely to have an accidental primer discharge?

*Is it simply using the Super Swage 600 on this brass? (I have watched the videos, but they use them on rifle ammo) I have 2 teenage sons that can work the Swage.

Thanks

J

If you buy military cases, the primers will be swaged in. Military brass almost always has a year date such as "68" or "95".

You can deprime them. If you look at the primer pocket, you will see that there is not a radiused curve from the case head into the primer pocket. You can get a primer pocket uniformer, that is a little cutter to produce the right sized primer pocket entrance. You can remove the swaging "ring" with a pocket knife. You can buy a special primer pocket swaging die to tool to perform the function quickly.

Military bras is commonly found in .45ACP, 9mm Luger, .223Rem, and 7.62x54 (.308), and, sometimes .38Special. If you buy inexpensive military ammunition, you will get not only swaged primer pockets, but Berdan primers and steel cases.

Read a couple reloading manuals and they'll discuss this.

If you stick to commercial brass, you won't have the problem.

With the 650, you prime on the upstroke and you can feel that the primer isn't seating like it should. Do not force anything.

If you try real hard, you will crush the primer and the primer might even go "bang."

There's actually quite a bit of non-military 9mm brass that has crimped primer pockets now. The 9x19 we buy is Win Ranger, marked WCC, and it has a crimped primer pocket. I know quite a few law enforcement agencies use that same training ammo, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it winds up being sold as once-fired. R,

I've looked at the NT brass and it seems to have crimped in primers. With my 550 I can tell when I try to seat a new primer in a case with crimp...and I stop and don't try to force it! I am not sure what it feels like using a 650, maybe someone can chime in on that.

Richard

PS: Slows things down having to stop for a cip.

There's actually quite a bit of non-military 9mm brass that has crimped primer pockets now. The 9x19 we buy is Win Ranger, marked WCC, and it has a crimped primer pocket. I know quite a few law enforcement agencies use that same training ammo, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it winds up being sold as once-fired. R,

I just sorted through a bag of 1000 9mm once-fired, and pulled about 50 of those machine-stopping WCC's out. They are the reason I sort my brass, as more than 90% of my machine stoppages are caused by a piece of WCC.

So I'm setting them aside for now. One day I'll invest in a primer pocket uniformer, and put them back into rotation.

I'll take your word for it.

All the WCC brass I have is military.

Would expect that the rounds being sold might be over-runs as there is no reason I know of the crimp commercial rounds.

The Win Ranger/WCC stuff is a normal cataloged item. My guess is it's cheaper for them just to produce it one way rather than have a military version and law enforcement version. R,

Guys, if you find the crimped brass, trade it to friends that have 1050s, or find someone that will process the brass for you. You can even get tools from Sinclair International to ream the pockets, but the 1050 will make life easier if you know someone that has one.

Good luck,

DougC

I have a small hand turned tapered reamer that works like a pencil sharpner beside my 550, when I run into a crimped case I'll give it a couple of turns and it will run right through the press. I purchased it a a gun club flea market some 20 years ago and it's made by Pacific.

I have a Dillon Swage that I use on rifle cases and it will work on 9mm also but just use the little reamer when I run into a crimped case, it's quicker.

With the 650, I would spend a little time inspecting unknown cases before reloading. I'll spend time inspecting 45ACP cases to remove any that have small primer pockets, I'm sure you could reload them but to me there trash.

When you swage the brass it just resize's the primer opening? and when you reem your brass im taking it that this is a seperate step and when reeming does it reform primer hole and or cut rhe primer flash hole? and once done do you have to repeat this everytime you reload your brass?

Swaging is just a mechanical operation that secures the primer via...."smooshing" the ring of the brass closer to the primer on the very end of the cartridge. Once it has been deprimed, to remove the "smooshed" rimg, a reamer can be used. (I use a countersink) After that area has been reamed, the swaged area is back to a size that the primer can fit back into without being squashed. It does not affect the primer flash hole, and does not have to be done again, unless you re-swage the primer.------Metalguy ;)