Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Tactical

caz41

Cool gun with great featuers. Would be better for our crowd in .40 and 9mm. Price is near an STI but that's suggested retail which may be lower by the time it hits the dealer.

Agreed, but it does comes with five mags. I would have also liked to see some better grips. Why not go all out with it?

It's definitely not a Dawson Pad... maybe it's the pads that came on the TJ model? I agree that this would be nicer in a .40, but at least it's a step in the right direction for the company.

No it sure isn't a Dawson pad and why didn't they just pick a couple of Dawson Pads up and slap them in with some decent guts. That would have been awesome and people would have taken notice for sure.

So Dawson pads and guts, a nice VZ grip, .40 cal setup, regular extractor, what else am I missing? Maybe a 9mm setup?

Edited by Forrest Halley

Not having a rail would be pretty nice for sure.

They have plenty of models w/o rails on them that are much better suited for the competition world. This gun is made with a different intended purpose.

Looking at the pictures of the mag at the bottom of the magwell it almost looks like it has a different basepad? Or are the pictures deceiving.

It's a Mec-Gar mag with anti-friction coating and it will accept Dawson pads. It also has a flat top slide and the finish on the Tactical alone would cost $300 after market. It must be shot to be fully appreciated!

I will second Travis' opionion on shooting it to be appreciated. I had the opportunity to shoot this model at SHOT this year, under Travis' watchful eye. I was very impressed. Very smooth easy to shoot .45. It is designed as a tactical gun (hence the model name) but would be an excellent choice for L10. For those that didn't hear, Travis will soon be leaving the Army and had a really big Para logo across the front of his shirt. I think we're going to see very good things out of Para in the next year or so.

I have two P16-40 Paras that I love to shoot and they work very well. My P18-9 with the "Power Extracter" the other hand, has been nothing but trouble with failure to extract problems. Its also been to Para's repair shop twice with no success in solving the FTE's. I've been trying to sleeve the P18-9 to use a standard 1911 extractor, but everyone is out of stock on the extractor sleeves (EGW has been out of stock since November). Apparently, so many Para owners are dumping the Power extractor that the shop making the sleeves can't keep up with the demand.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the pictures of the mag at the bottom of the magwell it almost looks like it has a different basepad? Or are the pictures deceiving.

It looks like the Para Competition basepad. They used to be quite common years ago, before Arredondo came our with theirs, and then Dawson, etc. You can still buy mags from Para with this basepad at this link:

http://www.paraproshop.com/double-stack-45-50-ctg.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll see "Pre-Ban 15-Round Magazine for .45ACP - POML45 - Double Stack 45 Pre-Ban 15-Round Magazine for .45ACP". I have one of these mags in my stable, and while they're designed to hold 15 rounds of .45, I have no problem fitting 16.

Still not as good as Dawson's 18, of course.

Anybody know when this will be available in stores???

The Tactical should be ready for delivery 4/29/11.

Thanks,

Travis

Thanks Travis. Do you know if there is ample numbers that are going to be going out or will it be limited production?

I've had a PXT 16.40L for a few years now and it's been a great handgun. I just don't shoot enough USPSA anymore to get to use it much.

Loading only 10 in the mag, that would be a fine choice for heavy metal 3 gun.

Edited by Bryan 45

I've had a PXT 16.40L for a few years now and it's been a great handgun. I just don't shoot enough USPSA anymore to get to use it much.

Bryan, I always pictured you as a single stack .38 super polished to the nines with pearl grips kind of guy.

Bryan, I always pictured you as a single stack .38 super polished to the nines with pearl grips kind of guy.

You know how I roll!

(Did I say that right? I'm not up on my slang.)