Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading w/ a Dillon

jblackfish

I've been on the Brian Enos site and read all of the advantages and disadvantages of SDB and 550B - I'm trying to figure out why I shouldn't go with the Square Deal B rather than the 550B based on my particular need. I've reloaded pistol calibers before, years ago, on the RCBS Rock Chucker. I'd like to reload again on a progressive setup. I'd like to reload 500-600 or so rounds a month - that's it. I KNOW that I only want to reload .45 and 9mm - nothing else, ever! I'm not doing this to save money either but I don't want to spend any more than I have to for a quality setup. I want to reload ONLY so that I can shoot the loads that I want to shoot (for IDPA) rather than be restricted to factory ammo.

I know that the Square Deal B is smaller than the 550B and not the "workhorse" that the 550B is either. But I can't figure out why I shouldn't choose the Square Deal B. I don't care that it only loads pistol. I don't care that its dies will ONLY fit it and nothing else. Is there something I'm overlooking? Is it inferior as a mechanical device in any way? Is it prone to produce errors more or breakdown more than the 550B?

That's about it. Any and all advice welcome. I know that most of you prefer what you're using - I want to find out why. If you've used both presses that would be helpful too. Thanks.

Edited by jblackfish

I'm a dedicated LNL user however, I also own a SDB. If you are absolutely positive, beyond a reasonable doubt, that all you will ever load is pistol cases, the SDB is a great little press. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't a work horse. It will outlast you and your grandkids if you take care of it and don't give it abuse!!

This exact question has been asked no less than three or four times in the last year...this thread has several links to the previous threads. Nothing has changed, other than both presses are more expensive after the recent increase.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118953&view=findpost&p=1346044

Thanks, G-ManBart. I DID do a search and didn't find the exact questions. Sorry for the duplicate - I'll be more careful in the future and I'll read what was said in the other three you provided. Thanks again and thanks for the other user's comments.

Edited by jblackfish

My only compliant is that you are locking yourself into a press that has only 4 stations, uses proprietary dies, and is not, from what I have read/heard, easy or cheap to change calibers.

Also, looked at the thing in the Dillon stored and it is so very small in terms of the sheelplate. It just feels like a press for loading .25ACP.

Thus, if the $371 price for a limited press sounds better than $440 for a press that uses almost and die and caliber conversions consist of a shellplated and 4-5 bushings, go for it. Many well-known gun scribes seem to love their SDBs.

If you have the money, you may want to buy two--one .45 and one 9x19.

Thanks, G-ManBart. I DID do a search and didn't find the exact questions. Sorry for the duplicate - I'll be more careful in the future and I'll read what was said in the other three you provided. Thanks again and thanks for the other user's comments.

No worries...the good thing is, you can't go wrong with either press :cheers:

My only compliant is that you are locking yourself into a press that has only 4 stations, uses proprietary dies, and is not, from what I have read/heard, easy or cheap to change calibers.

A complete conversion kit for and SDB is $170. The same thing for an SDB is $207.

I don't know if it's the easiest conversion going, but it's very easy to do an SDB conversion....probably 20min tops.

Thus, if the $371 price for a limited press sounds better than $440 for a press that uses almost and die and caliber conversions consist of a shellplated and 4-5 bushings, go for it.

The press costs $430, but you have to buy dies as well, so it's really an extra $63, making it $493, and if you go with the "as it should be" upgrade that Brian offers (wisely), tack another $150 on top, so it'll wind up being ballpark of $650 for most folks. R,

Edit to add: this is a perfect example of why having half a dozen threads on the exact same topic can get tedious at times....these sorts of corrections and clarifications are already taken care of. It would be nice to just ignore the mistakes or oversights in the new thread, but then we know it could mislead someone new.

Edited by G-ManBart

Sounds like you are a perfect customer for a Square deal. If you change your mind in the future you can sell the square deal for 80% of retail and jump to the 650. Also remember that the square deal is actually a little faster than the 550.

Sounds like you are a perfect customer for a Square deal. If you change your mind in the future you can sell the square deal for 80% of retail and jump to the 650. Also remember that the square deal is actually a little faster than the 550.

I wouldn't put money on that theory....

Dillon's website shows the SDB at a cyclic rate of 400 rounds per hour, with a production rate of 350 per hour. The 550 list as 550 cyclic rate, and a 500 production rate. Conversion change of the SDB = 10 minutes, 550 = 5 minutes.

I started out with a Dillon 450 back in the dark ages and then went to a SDB when I needed more production. I have since sold the SDB and gotten a 650, but recently bought the upgrade for my 450 to make it a 550. Having used both, I would vote for a 550. Caliber change is a breeze and you don't need the proprietary (sp?) dies. The 550 is just as fast as a SDB with practice and it is more versatile if you decide to go with other calibers. You won't be wrong with either one. My .02.

Dillon's website shows the SDB at a cyclic rate of 400 rounds per hour, with a production rate of 350 per hour. The 550 list as 550 cyclic rate, and a 500 production rate. Conversion change of the SDB = 10 minutes, 550 = 5 minutes.

Yeah, and Dillon's catalog is wrong. How, exactly, does one add an extra step (manual indexing) and still manage to be faster? You can't, but your advertising folks sure aren't going to list the more expensive press as being slower...

I've timed 100 rounds many times on an SDB and without rushing, it's consistently 9:30.

Edited by G-ManBart

Yeah, and Dillon's catalog is wrong. How, exactly, does one add an extra step (manual indexing) and still manage to be faster? You can't, but your advertising folks sure aren't going to list the more expensive press as being slower...

I've timed 100 rounds many times on an SDB and without rushing, it's consistently 9:30.

Bart that's over 600 an hour.....With no case feeder or bullet feeder....that rivals a 650....

It's not really an extra step...your fingers are there anyway to place the bullet...I know of one person here on the forum who has a case and bullet feeder on his 550, and has legitimately loaded 1,200 an hour...

Bart that's over 600 an hour.....With no case feeder or bullet feeder....that rivals a 650....

It's not really an extra step...your fingers are there anyway to place the bullet...I know of one person here on the forum who has a case and bullet feeder on his 550, and has legitimately loaded 1,200 an hour...

It's not really over 600 an hour. The "extra" 30 seconds per 100 would be used to dump a new primer tube after each 100. ;) I've checked that time many times, and it always stays the same.

Yeah, it really is an extra step, even though your hand is already there. It takes time to advance the shell plate....when you could already be pulling the lever on the next round. No, it's not a huge amount of time, but it doesn't have to be when you're doing it a hundred times (or more). R,

It's not really over 600 an hour. The "extra" 30 seconds per 100 would be used to dump a new primer tube after each 100. ;) I've checked that time many times, and it always stays the same.

Yeah, it really is an extra step, even though your hand is already there. It takes time to advance the shell plate....when you could already be pulling the lever on the next round. No, it's not a huge amount of time, but it doesn't have to be when you're doing it a hundred times (or more). R,

Does not your hand have to put a bullet on the case? Does not your hand have to feed a new case into the press? I submit that if you set the bullet on the case as you are indexing it, there is no loss.

On the 550, when you set the bullet, you advance the index at the same time, while your right hand is putting in a new case in station one.........It indexes alot easier than you would think. After dropping the powder, I already have a bullet in hand, so no reaching...I know you have to do virtually the same operation unless you have a bullet and case feeder...the only difference is that you don't have to "think" about indexing the press, because that's all there is to it, it's just a tad more than a thought. Once you do it a few thousand times, it's second nature...

Edit to add: As for the "slower" press costing more...Did you not see that it also does rifle and uses standard dies? ;) ......Might be a reason right there for a bit more money, ya think?

Edit to #2: I'm throwing in the towel on this one...It's not worth it. The 550 is more machine than the SDB, hands down. The OP would be best suited to an SDB....

Edited by GrumpyOne

Thanks so much for all the posts so far. This has been very helpful thread for me. I've kept up with this thread and read all of the other three threads that G-ManBart posted - all informative. I have decided that I really can't go wrong with whatever I do with any Dillon - it's quality a different $ levels and features.

A couple of users mentioned the Hornady LNL which raised my curiosity so I took a brief look at it too. It looks impressive. (I will admit that I'm leaning toward liking a press with auto-indexing.) I can see that the 550B and the LNL appear to be sturdier larger machines than the SDB and have more flexibility (using different mfgs dies, etc.) as well. The mount/bench situation seems to be as important to sturdiness as anything. I think I'm going to have to think about all this a little more. I still don't ever won't to load anything but .45 and 9mm but, while I figure out where my reloading bench and area will be, I'll be deciding what goes on it.

If you feel like continuing to comment please do so and thanks again. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Thanks so much for all the posts so far. This has been very helpful thread for me. I've kept up with this thread and read all of the other three threads that G-ManBart posted - all informative. I have decided that I really can't go wrong with whatever I do with any Dillon - it's quality a different $ levels and features.

A couple of users mentioned the Hornady LNL which raised my curiosity so I took a brief look at it too. It looks impressive. (I will admit that I'm leaning toward liking a press with auto-indexing.) I can see that the 550B and the LNL appear to be sturdier larger machines than the SDB and have more flexibility (using different mfgs dies, etc.) as well. The mount/bench situation seems to be as important to sturdiness as anything. I think I'm going to have to think about all this a little more. I still don't ever won't to load anything but .45 and 9mm but, while I figure out where my reloading bench and area will be, I'll be deciding what goes on it.

If you feel like continuing to comment please do so and thanks again. I'll get it figured out eventually.

i wouldnt go with a lock and load they are nice but i can link multiple posts of people getting pissed trying to set them right and or broken items or just having a hard time to get it to work in conjunction with each moving part.. now i have 2 650's right out of the box i set it up ten mins later made 100 rounds no big deal buy blue stay blue love blue they will do the same in return.. also if your only doing .45 acp and 9mm i kinda would buy 2 sdb and be done with it

It's just dawned on me that I'm going to have to take a couple of the many invitations I've had to visit with my shooting buddies and actually LOOK and play with their equipment. Nearly all of them are Dillon people and so that's something I'd like to do. I'm starting to wear out looking at u-tube videos and wishing I could touch and see these things up close. Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful. Hopefully I'll be making comments soon about my reloading successes, failures, etc. :surprise:

I only shoot 9mm and .38/.357 and use a SDB for 9mm and a Rock Chucker for the revolver rounds and I love the SDB!

Before I bought the SDB I thought of selling the Green Machine and getting a 550, but it's nice to have 2 presses 'ready to go' and I guess you'll be happy with a SDB too.

Does not your hand have to put a bullet on the case? Does not your hand have to feed a new case into the press? I submit that if you set the bullet on the case as you are indexing it, there is no loss.

On the 550, when you set the bullet, you advance the index at the same time, while your right hand is putting in a new case in station one.........It indexes alot easier than you would think. After dropping the powder, I already have a bullet in hand, so no reaching...I know you have to do virtually the same operation unless you have a bullet and case feeder...the only difference is that you don't have to "think" about indexing the press, because that's all there is to it, it's just a tad more than a thought. Once you do it a few thousand times, it's second nature...

Edit to add: As for the "slower" press costing more...Did you not see that it also does rifle and uses standard dies? ;) ......Might be a reason right there for a bit more money, ya think?

Edit to #2: I'm throwing in the towel on this one...It's not worth it. The 550 is more machine than the SDB, hands down. The OP would be best suited to an SDB....

You're right, it's not worth trying to disprove something certain...the 550 will be slower. You can't place a bullet and index the plate as fast as you can just set a bullet in place....can't happen. With an SDB, after you raise the lever, you can place a new case and a bullet at the same time...lots faster than placing a bullet, indexing the plate, then placing a new case.

When folks start/try going fast with a 550, that's when bad stuff starts to happen....squibs and double charges, which are much harder to do with auto-indexing unless you let the measure run dry (nothing can fix that).

We're talking about the OP's situation, not something hypothetical, so for someone who never plans on reloading anything other than 2 pistol cartridges, I'd say that the 550 is actually less machine...it's slower, costs more, conversions cost more, takes up more space and doesn't auto-index. For some folks other factors make those reasonable trade offs, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this situation.

Funny, once again, the same couple of people, saying the same stuff....and folks wonder why I post links and suggest just reading the exact same stuff that was posted previously. Nothing has changed <sigh>....I'm about done posting here. R,