Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CZ for production

twister

I want to start shooting production in the spring,and would like to know which CZ would be best? I'm not that knowledgeable on the dbl. action pistols,and don't know the differences between them. I would like to buy the gun already done,so I need to know which model is best. Thanks for any help you can give me,Dave

The CZ Shadow is probably the best value

no firing pin block, upswept beavertail, 3 mags, FO front sight.

trigger is pretty good out of the box. DA stroke is smooth, SA is crisp; if you order from Matt Mink or Angus, they can do a trigger job before you get it.

or just ship it or do it yourself.

great gun: accurate, easy to shoot.

Agree with eerw on all points.

Switched last year from an M&P and never looked back.

Trigger job is a must but I am comparing to a stock 75, not an out-of-box Shadow. Mine tuned by Angus and about perfect for me.

It's not legal yet, but I just bought the CZ 75 Shadow, aka the short dustcover Shadow. I don't care for railed handguns, and I really like the lines of the CZ. Looking forward to being able to shoot it in Production.

That will be a great production gun when it gets approved.

Not to derail the thread, but any thoughts on holsters for the 75 Shadows? I didn't realize that without the front slide cuts, it may not fit in most of the 75B holsters. Without a rail it won't fit quite right in an SP-01. It was suggested to look at the .40 CZ holsters, but those don't seem to be listed many places. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The CZ Shadow is probably the best value

no firing pin block, upswept beavertail, 3 mags, FO front sight.

trigger is pretty good out of the box. DA stroke is smooth, SA is crisp; if you order from Matt Mink or Angus, they can do a trigger job before you get it.

or just ship it or do it yourself.

great gun: accurate, easy to shoot.

Or they can get you to tune it with GREAT results. ;)

Not to derail the thread, but any thoughts on holsters for the 75 Shadows? I didn't realize that without the front slide cuts, it may not fit in most of the 75B holsters. Without a rail it won't fit quite right in an SP-01. It was suggested to look at the .40 CZ holsters, but those don't seem to be listed many places. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It should fit either a 75B .40 holster or a 75B SA holster - the SAs and the .40 have straight-profile slides.

I made it to Master class with an M&P.... but.... i picked up a Shadow Target last year and its been my primary Production gun ever since! The first 3 classifiers i shot with it were in the high 90's.... I may never make it to GM but i think i stand a better chance with the Shadow Target. It is the most accurate handgun i have ever owned!!!!

Lets not forget about the CZ 85B Combat. That is what I have and it is just as accurate and realible as the Shadow. It also does not have a FP block.

I shoot a 75 from the pre-firing block era, which is the equivalent of an 85 Combat. It didn't quite fit the regular 75B holsters because of an idiosyncratic slide stop, so I ended up using a Bladetech for the SP-01. I have it adjusted to hold the gun fairly loosely, but it doesn't wobble in any direction and I've never come close to dropping it.

If you're going to shoot IDPA too, it will be easier to make weight with an 85 Combat or short dust cover Shadow. Not that its impossible with the SP-O1 Shadow.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow with full dust cover for USPSA Prod. - it's def easier and faster to get back on target as opposed to short dust cover (e.g. 75SA, Combat). I have Shadow and 75SA and I see considerable difference in recoil control.

For a single gun good for USPSA Prod and IDPA (weight restr) - Shadow with short dust cover would be a great compromise, but it's not approved yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I had planned on buying either the shadow custom or target later this spring. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to wait around to see what happens with the short dust over models? I think I'll primarily shoot USPSA, but getting the weight down for IDPA seems to be a PITA.