Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schrödinger's Cat

John K

Particle or Wave or PWave?

The cat is alive and dead at the same point in time. The only way to tell is to look, but are you really looking at the cat from it's timeframe or yours?

It's a lot like a Mobius strip in a lot of ways.

As nearly as I have been able to figure it out before my ears start bleeding...

Like most attempts at explaining really complicated things that are "easier to explain" with mathematics, Schrödinger's Cat tend to leave people thinking that physicists are mad as hatters. They are, but that's really not the point, the point is that they are terrible at explaining things to non-physicists.

A lot of stuff that happens at the subatomic level defies rational thought - like things that seem to be going faster than light and seem to exist in a state where time is slower. IOW, there seems to be more than one kind of "reality". In the case of Schrödinger's Cat, it's an attempt to try and explain something called quantum entanglement. Problem is, not everyone agrees on exactly what it is. One explanation makes it sound, to me at least, like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which I sort of kind of understand if I close one eye and turn my head counterclockwise at a precise angle.

Think of it like a bullet. You can measure the speed of a bullet or the position of a bullet but not both at the same time because to measure the speed the bullet has to be moving and to measure the position the bullet has to not be moving.

Quantum entanglement (sort of kind of) says that two things may be linked in such a way that you cannot measure either of them with out disentangling them at which point their nature changes. The act of observing something changes it.

A practical proof of this can be found in Reality TV. Put a camera on someone so that they can be observed and their behavior changes - usually for the worse. If Jersey Shore had been around when Schrodinger was working on his thought experiment, a lot of cats could have been saved - he could have put Snooky in the box instead.

Wolfgang Paulie, one of the participants in the Manhattan project, was overheard consoling one of his Graduate students during office hours. "Dr. Paulie, I just don't think I can cut it!" "What do you mean?" , replied Paulie. "Well I just don't understand Quantum Mechanics!" Paulie responded with laughter, which further depressed the student, till the good Doctor got his glee under control and said, "Oh!, Don't worry about it, NOBODY understands Quantum Mechanics....you just get used to it!!" And it gets weirder and weirder the more we know!!

A practical proof of this can be found in Reality TV. Put a camera on someone so that they can be observed and their behavior changes - usually for the worse. If Jersey Shore had been around when Schrodinger was working on his thought experiment, a lot of cats could have been saved - he could have put Snooky in the box instead.

Butterfly effect - Einstein

Uncertainty Principle - Heisenberg

The Cat - Schrodinger

All rocking the Quantum!

And the only problem with using Snooky in the box is she is already dead(inside)!

:devil:

Don't feel bad about this, I'm a physics PhD that sub-specialized in high energy physics like this and it makes MY head hurt.

There's even more weirdness but this is the best example.

Just think of this, if you ever miss, there is a small chance, that you didn't miss, you bullet just tunneled through the target :surprise:

If Jersey Shore had been around when Schrodinger was working on his thought experiment, a lot of cats could have been saved - he could have put Snooky in the box instead.

:roflol:

One thing is for certain...Snooky has finally made it to our forum. wacko.gif

All references to snooky should be banned. If we ignore her maybe she will go away.

I have a T-shirt that on the front says, Schrödinger's cat is dead. And on the back, guess what it says? Schrödinger's cat is not dead.

When I walk past someone who gets it - usually at the bar, and i've got a few beers in me - I'll stop, face them, then quicly spin around so my back is facing them, then spin back around to the front, and to the back again. Forcing them to participate in a quantum physics experiement.

I read and tried to understand that uncertainty principle.

I fussed and fumed and twisted.

and at some point I got to laughing too.

dammit! you just can't KNOW everything!!!!

my science career ended there.

I keep looking in on them, hoping they figured out something.

it is quite the puzzle. It keeps getting worse.

like they are going backwards or something...

what worries me is that they keeping finding

more and more things they don't know!

geeze! put a stick in the box,

If the cat gets poked, you will know

the cat or the stick is still alive.

quantum stuff is fun.

If you are able to become an electron,

it seems you can go back in time.

Though, not for long.

If they are making this up, they have a great imagination.

miranda

I get a kick out of reading stuff written by the smartest people in the world.

Even our greatest minds, are so finite. And our universe, so infinite.

The "big bang" has got to be my all time favorite. "One day in space....some stuff was floating around....and it just blew up!!!"

Hell yeah! That pretty much 'splains everthin'. :roflol:

Two things I have never possessed enough of are intelligence and courage. I admire courage so much more.

I have a T-shirt that on the front says, Schrödinger's cat is dead. And on the back, guess what it says? Schrödinger's cat is not dead.

Gives me an idea for a shirt:

WANTED

Dead or Alive

<mug shot picture of a cat>

<with a placard reading>

Schrödinger's Cat

Gives me an idea for a shirt:

WANTED

Dead or Alive

<mug shot picture of a cat>

<with a placard reading>

Schrödinger's Cat

:D