Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters

Flexmoney

Here's a copy of a message I sent to IDPA on 30 Aug 02, I'll post the response.

The Green Book dated 5-2-01 stated In Appendix "A": "Fobus All belt and paddle models".  So I bought a Fobus Roto BELT holster.  Now I read of the web site: ," Fobus All standard belt and paddle models (no Roto holsters approved for IDPA use)."

I also read in the Green book on P 22 that "equipment rule changes will only be reviewed every two (2) years.  Any equipmenet rule changes will go into effect 12 months after approval ".

The Green Book says nothing about grip plugs for Glocks in SSP division but you sent me an e-mail saying they were ok

I'm getting very disgusted with what I precieve to be inconsistancies in your rules and thinking.  I joined IDPA for the specific purpose of avoiding this type of thing.

Please clear this up or I'm afraid I will be canceling my membership.    

I know I'm new to the IDPA but would offer a suggestion. Try the Cen-Dex Storm Holster. IMHO it is the fastest IDPA approved holster that I have tried. I use it with my G22/34 with two single mag holders and a 1 3/4 inch wilderness belt. The equipment stays very comfortable during all day shoots. And like I said, its fast. Web site is http://www.cen-dex.com/. Give him a call, he is very easy to do buisness with.

another $65 holster.. man... like I have said, get an uncle mikes, or bladetech, or galco, ( uncle mikes holds the gun out from your body a bit) and just shoot, a half inch won't make THAT much difference. maybe .01 or .02 tops.

damn, i can think back and remember when i was "pushing the envelope" by hitting 1.20 from a race holster. :)

I totally agree. When I started IDPA I was told by a Master shooter to shoot what I had and make no equipment changes. He said, and I agree, that technique wins over gimmicks every time. He goes to  IPSC matches wearing his IDPA gear and beats Masters wearing their “speed” gear. So I know equipment does not make a shooter.

After about a year of shooting IDPA I was able to try a friends Cen-Dex setup. My Fobus holster and leather belt was always sagging to the gun side and I was always adjusting the belt. With the Wilderness belt and Cen-Dex holster I found that the weight of the gun and gear was more evenly distributed around the waist and was much more stable. The uncle mikes rode too high for me to get used to. It is all a personal prefrence but the Cen-Dex just rode at a more natural level for my stature. Is the .02 seconds worth $65? No. Is the comfort level during a 18 stage 2 day event worth the price? Everytime.

(Edited by Navy Shooter at 8:45 am on Sep. 1, 2002)

I disagree that .02 seconds on the draw is not worth it.  I started shooting IDPA with a custom Tucker holster and my old Bianchi belt.  While I won some matches, I remembered that if you make 30 draws in a match and each draw is worth .02 to you, the difference is enough to win the match,and you did not have to fire a shot to get it.  So, I changed to a Blade Tech holster and had a custom belt made; 1.75 wide, steel shim liner, now no movement at all and can consistently do .8 out of the holster non concealed and .92 with concealment.

It really gets their goat when a 55 year old guy shooting CDP with a Commander beats all the young guys shooting SSP and ESP.  Kydex is hard on yur pistol, especially if you have a blue slide, but I just have to smile each time I hear the snick of that 1911 coming out of that Kydex holster.  I thought about changing mag pouches too, but was not able to see an appreciable difference in the access time between my old leather Gordon David mag holders and anything made of plastic.

Good luck

(Edited by tightloop at 10:35 am on Sep. 1, 2002)

(Edited by tightloop at 10:36 am on Sep. 1, 2002)

You guys are getting your tenth and hundredth of a second mixed up.   rolleyes.gif

What I am looking at is a good USPSA Production holster that will also work for IDPA.

Here is what I'd like.

1.  Lower.  Mounting the gun lower really makes a big difference in my draw (more so for my body type).

2.  Angle.  I want the front strap level with Mother Earth.  On my Glock, this means a slight muzzle forward cant.

3.  Trigger Guard.  I want the minimum amount of holster material under the trigger guard.  I want my hand to be able to slide right up the holster in into the firing grip.

4.  Belt Mounting.  A secure and stable mount, with a bit of offset so that I can get my grip on the gun when I grab it...not on the way to the target.

5.  Lowered front cutout...so I don't have to lift the gun super high to "clear leather".

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:53 am on Sep. 1, 2002)

I don't know if there is one holster that covers all your requirements.  I suggest you call Blade Tech or someone like them, and for a "little bit more $" they might accomodate your needs.  You need to be as specific as possible when you talk to them, but you never know.  Second possibility is to get one as close as you can and then put the hairdryer on it and bend it like you need it, without being too obvious in appearance.

jhgtyre,

THE KSTC TACTICAL-C HOLSTER

With Concealment Swivel Belt Plate (CBP)

Approved for IDPA Competition

Model # 2633-C $69.00

Great link.  Looks good.  Anybody tried it.

It's not cheap.  And, if it is IDPA legal...then why not the roto-Fobus?

As stated by others, the Blade-Tech offset drop loop is for ladies only. I don't know if you can wear a dress and get away with it or not.

The Roto-Fobus isn't listed in the Little Green Book (LGB) so you would have to e-mail IDPA to get an answer. It is a new holster since the LGB was printed.

The Hellwig Tactical C holsters are not allowed.

All holsters must be approved by The holster committee which consists of Ken Hackathorn I think. There is a fine line between what is considered a concealable holster and a range holster. The front of holsters for autos may be cut no lower than 1/4" below the ejection port.

Flex,

I use Blade-Tech holsters with a Wilderness Instructors belt and love them. They are so much faster than any leather I have tried that I am suprised they are allowed. Many Kydex holsters will be about the same. Have you looked at the Ky-Tac Sooper Hooper? I think it was designed by a Master IDPA shooter to be as fast as possible and still be approved. I have a friend that uses a leather De Santis Speed Scabbard Pro-Fed (I think) which is a paddle holster.  Look over the kydex holsters that are approved and pick the one you like best. The next time we are together at a match you can try my holsters.

Bill Nesbitt

Kyle,

I second the Blde-Tech recommendation.  I use the (IDPA approved) Belt scabbard for that game and the Dropped and offset for Production and limited.  The DOH has enough stand off from the waist, that it's similar to a Safariland competition holster.  It's more secure however.  They ain't cheap, but I think you get what you pay for.  You might check if there still running the IDPA special ---- that was the belt holster and one mag pouch for $ 69.- vs. the holster alone being $ 65.-.  Good luck,

Bill,

I am not actually trying to stir things up here but I am curious as to where I can find info about the Tactical-C not being allowed.  The mfr. states that it is on their website and it sort of bugs me that they might be making that statement if it isn't true.

Thanks,

-jhgtyre

from the idpa rules http://www.idpa.com/rulebook5-2-01/appendix_a/appendix_a.htm

---------

NOTE: The following holsters are permitted for women only.

Bears Den – Woman's Hipster Blade-Tech – Drop and Offset  Heinie – Ladies DOJ  Ky-Tac Ladyhawke LH  Talon Tactical – Ladies Offset Wilson Combat – Ladies Practical and Ladies Tactical Assault

NON-INCLUSIVE list of holsters and ammunition carriers that are EXCLUDED from IDPA competition.  

Bianchi H2045, H2046, H2050, Ernie Hill FAS-TRAC, L/E Original, 1FSM, 3FTM, Galco Gunsite, Hellweg - Tactical C Series, Safariland 011, 009, 010, 002, 003, 007, 077, 771, CD2 & CD6 (these are the spring clips), 333, Sparks 1AT.

(Edited by Mark Perez at 1:14 pm on Sep. 3, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Fobus, Sidearmor and a variety of leather.  I've pretty much settled on the Safariland 561 as my "gamer" IDPA holster.  The Sidearmor I've used for my G17 has the 5* cant.  I used that cant on the adjustable 561 but have slowly reduced the cant over time using my 1911.  I may end up dumping the Sidearmor for another 561 for the Glock.

The main reason I went to the Safariland for my 1911 is because it's lined Kydex.  Faster than leather and doesn't wear the finish as fast.  I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got an answer, for what its worth!!

----- Original Message -----

The Green Book dated 5-2-01 stated In Appendix "A": "Fobus All belt and paddle models".  So I bought a Fobus Roto BELT holster.  Now I read of the web site: ," Fobus All standard belt and paddle models (no Roto holsters approved for IDPA use)."

I also read in the Green book on P 22 that "equipment rule changes will only be reviewed every two (2) years.  Any equipmenet rule changes will go into effect 12 months after approval ".

The Green Book says nothing about grip plugs for Glocks in SSP division but you sent me an e-mail saying they were ok.

Please clear this up.  

After 3 repeat messages to IDPA stating that I'm waiting for an answer this is what I got:

I am too.

Dru Robbins

IDPA Coordinator