Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder mfr says 9mm major exceeds all known gun recommedations

Jeff P

{quote]

German steel, specifically, from the turn of the century, as used by Mauser, Luger, etc was extremely high quality, and probably better than stuff like 416 stainless we see most commonly today. R,

Probably because they bought it from the Swedes, very nice nickel content.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this technical talk about kabooms and telling us to stop teasing the powder guys is all well and good but the $20 question is:

Can I, as an overfed, nohaired, falling down gnome, still rely on the relative flatness of primers as being a harbinger of KABOOM? :surprise:

All this technical talk about kabooms and telling us to stop teasing the powder guys is all well and good but the $20 question is:

Can I, as an overfed, nohaired, falling down gnome, still rely on the relative flatness of primers as being a harbinger of KABOOM? :surprise:

Go with Pat Sweeny's observation - if you have flat primers, you're in 50K psi territory. Then you need to decide if you want to be in that territory if the natives aren't friendly...

There is a reason why the 9 major shooters shoot their once fired brass and leave it on the ground.. it might take the pressure the first time.. it might not on subsequent firings... but then I tend to like to follow the 9 major shooters around, they give me good bullet jackets.. ;)

With 7.7 gr of HS-6 my G 17 Lone Wolf 5 inch barrel with comp makes a PF of 167 at avg velocity of 1,343 FPS with a 124 Montana Gold FMJ OAL 1.165 (same as factory ammo).

My once-used brass shows zero signs of pressure. No pressure signs on the primers.

The gun shoots flatter. It sounds a little louder than factory ammo but I could probably not tell the difference between factory and major if I smixed the ammo.

Just for giggles, I punched that load (I substituted Hornady's 124gr FMJ/FP) into Quickload and got 41,575PSI and 1,356FPS. I then changed it to Hornady's 124gr FMJ/RN, and it went to 61,725PSI and 1,452fps :surprise: There's a reason we work up to this stuff slowly!

Just for giggles, I punched that load (I substituted Hornady's 124gr FMJ/FP) into Quickload and got 41,575PSI and 1,356FPS. I then changed it to Hornady's 124gr FMJ/RN, and it went to 61,725PSI and 1,452fps :surprise: There's a reason we work up to this stuff slowly!

COAL is a bad measurement as far as pressure is concerned for just this reason. A measure of the amount of case without bullet in it would be better since that's what affects pressure. Unfortunately, you can't measure this easily. It would be really helpful if manuals listed the length of the bullet so you could subtract and compare available case volume.

COAL is a bad measurement as far as pressure is concerned for just this reason. A measure of the amount of case without bullet in it would be better since that's what affects pressure. Unfortunately, you can't measure this easily. It would be really helpful if manuals listed the length of the bullet so you could subtract and compare available case volume.

QL actually lists the length of the bullet, so you can come up with one that's most similar ;)

• 3 weeks later...

A small pistol magnum primer comes out perfect in a load that flattens a standard primer.

Really? what's the difference in length (and thus starting cartridge case volume) in those two bullets? Seems a bit of an extreme change, but Quickload seems to be fairly reasonable at predicting stuff, so...

Really? what's the difference in length (and thus starting cartridge case volume) in those two bullets? Seems a bit of an extreme change, but Quickload seems to be fairly reasonable at predicting stuff, so...

They were .553" and .620" respectively....so a reasonably large change in case volume used. Obviously, it's getting into the realm where little changes can make a big difference! R,

A small pistol magnum primer comes out perfect in a load that flattens a standard primer.

That all depends on the make of the SPP. Some are much harder than others, and therefore it is not a good indicator.

There is a reason why the 9 major shooters shoot their once fired brass and leave it on the ground.. it might take the pressure the first time.. it might not on subsequent firings... but then I tend to like to follow the 9 major shooters around, they give me good bullet jackets.. ;)

Wrong, I get 9 brass for damn near free so picking it up isn't worth my time. Part of the charm of 9 major is never having to look like a hen pecking the ground for lost brass. :P

Wrong, I get 9 brass for damn near free so picking it up isn't worth my time. Part of the charm of 9 major is never having to look like a hen pecking the ground for lost brass. :P

And it lessens the chance of a gust of wind blowing your kilt up when you're bent over :surprise:

And it lessens the chance of a gust of wind blowing your kilt up when you're bent over :surprise:

You're still just upset that you couldn't resist the urge to pay for my college tuition when the winds were swirlin :P

Part of the charm of 9 major is never having to look like a hen pecking the ground for lost brass. :P

exactly! :cheers:

:roflol:

Part of the charm of 9 major is never having to look like a hen pecking the ground for lost brass. :P

exactly! :cheers:

:roflol:

Yes, the chicken dance is embarassing!

I hate to say it, but I now take a basket on a stick and some magic fingers to matches to NOT do the chicken dance....What can I say? I have 3 kids, 6, 5, and 3....?