Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to clean/degrease slide glide?

G34 CORDY

Somebody mentioned WD 40. That is probably the worst thing to use on a gun. It is not a lubricant, it is made to displace water. It is fine to use it if your gun gets soaked in the rain at a match to get the water out of the crevices. If you use it clean it off and lube your gun with a good lube. If you depend on WD 40 you will end up with a rusty gun.

I say goo the grease all over. The more you use, the easier it is to clean.

+1!

Grease it up, cycle the slide a few times, and wipe the excess off so it doesn't get all over your clothes, and you're good to go.

Somebody mentioned WD 40. That is probably the worst thing to use on a gun. It is not a lubricant, it is made to displace water. It is fine to use it if your gun gets soaked in the rain at a match to get the water out of the crevices. If you use it clean it off and lube your gun with a good lube. If you depend on WD 40 you will end up with a rusty gun.

+1000 I bought a used Springfield P9 Factory comp gun that had been stored for quite a while after being sprayed with the wonderful WD40. After the intial wetness of the WD40 evaporates, it leaves something akin to a varnish, but it never really hardens. Result: A gun that won't fire, everything sticking together, sear sticking, everything. Once it's in there, it's damn hard to get out. Mineral spirits, brake cleaner, all kinds of things I tried to get the varnish out of the springs and parts. What finally worked was pure, straight acetone. That took EVERYTHING out, completely clean. Didn't hurt the bluing of the slide (frame is stainless), but the gunk coming out of the gun was freaking green! Looked like baby snot! Oiled it back up, no more issues.

Rem oil, q-tips, nylon bristle brush and papertowel, latex gloves on my hands. My wife made me give up all the harsh smelling bore cleaners and gun cleaners. She said my mancave smelled like a chemical/solvent factory when I cleaned my guns. I thought about it and probably wasn't a good idea to be inhaling fumes for an hour or two twice a week. I use rem oil for all my cleaning.

Paper towels, Q-tip, solvent (wilson or whatever i have around). Nothing down the barrel.

Quick clean in a pinch = Hornaday one shot cleaner and dry lube. Just hose off internals and shoot. (only in a pinch)

Clean your gun less and it will love you more!!