Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don’t I like shooting a .45 1911?

B.H.M.

What am I doing wrong? I bought a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 in .45 and it is not fun to shoot! Shooting factory ammo, it is almost painful to shoot, my wrist gets sore. My Glock 34 and Witness Limited in .40 are so much softer shooting… I reload for both the .40 and 9mm. Would loading my own ammo help for the .45? Something I should correct with my grip? Beavertail Grip Safety?

Or should I just HTFU?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A beavertail may help you get higher on the gun, creating less torque (that'll help cut down on your wrists getting so sore).

You can definitely download the .45 to 170ish PF (power factor) and it be more than comfortable. Factory ammo in .45 is usually way over the required power factor for major.

How are you gripping the gun? Perhaps you could post some pictures?

-Will Mullendore

Try different bullet weights. Some people are sensitive to the difference in the impulse between a 230gr load and a 200gr load. The 230gr Win WB that I tested was 190PF. Reloading can get you to a more reasonable 175PF. You can train with light loads. I heard Phil Strader say he trains with lighter loads.

Make sure the problem is not compounded by what you've been doing during the week before. For instance if you are getting carpal tunnel and spend all your time on a computer at work that could make things worse.

Edited by GForceLizard

Hmmmm...what exactly about it is almost painful? It's obviously going to have a lot more pop to it than a full size 9mm, or an all steel .40 will...that's just physics. I sort of chuckle when people (not USPSA/IDPA shooters) talk about the "powerful 9mm"...it's really on the light side (heck, it's only more powerful than about half a dozen modern cartridges)....so I think that sometimes sets people's expectations up to be surprised by anything else.

I'm not even remotely a large person, but I've had a 1911 in .45 since I was 13...and it didn't hurt me with factory ammo then, so it makes me wonder where that actual issue is. A beavertail (a real one, not a drop in) will let you get your hand higher, and smooth out the area that transfers the impulse to your hand, so that would help some. Obviously, lighter ammo will help since most factory ammo is around 200PF give or take a bit. Fast powers and heavy bullets will make for the softest combinations. R,

My first guess is that it is a grip problem.

I have a Mil Spec Springfield 1911. When my wife first shot it, she said it kicked too much for her. We worked on her grip a bit, and she started to manage it better.

Bad habits tend to be compounded as the power factor goes up.

I dont know what it is... Its just not enjoyable to shoot! I have no doubt my grip could improve as this is all pretty new to me. I love shooting but realize I know very little about it. I want to buy a gun and ammo and shoot it! I want it to be that simple! At least this gun doesnt have feeding issues like my .40!

Thanks for the comments and harassment!

rub some dirt on it.

just kidding...

i'd be curious as to what kinda mainspring and recoil spring is in it.

I have read threads here where guys have talked about the shape of the firing pin stop. some are square on the bottom and others are curved or beveled. they didn't quite put it succinctly but they said the recoil impulse between the two was different.

reloading your own down to 170 power factor would help too.

winchester white box .45 usually PF's out around 196 from my 5 inch 1911's.

I have read threads here where guys have talked about the shape of the firing pin stop. some are square on the bottom and others are curved or beveled. they didn't quite put it succinctly but they said the recoil impulse between the two was different.

Simply radius the bottom of the firing pin stop so that it makes smoother, more progressive contact with the hammer...doesn't have to be too involved. Dropping the recoil spring down to something like 14-16lbs (with milder ammo), maybe drop the factory mainspring from whatever the heck they use (22lbs?) to a 19lb, and it should smooth things out a bit, but all of that adds up to just a little bit of change...milder ammo will make all of those changes seem fairly minor, but combined, can make a pretty obvious difference. R,

Hey B.H.M,

my 45 was one of my first guns...

I had several range visit where i left feeling that i had bought more than i could handle, i couldn't hit a damn thing with it!!

but you stick to it :D

you keep shooting it and eventually you get used to it..

don't give up, i've been there :) but now i won't have anything else :)

Edited by carlosa

I want to buy a gun and ammo and shoot it! I want it to be that simple!

You are in the right place to learn how to do it the right way.

When I started looking into USPSA several years ago I realized very quickly that there was an incredible depth of knowledge when it comes to the sport and action shooting on this site.

I will try reloading to see if that helps. Ive only shot cheap stuff (WWB, Federal Bulk Boxes, etc) through it so far...

shooting .45 factory ammo is a handfull in my opinion. some people love a ton of recoil and some people dont. i'm in the former category more than the latter. you already stated that you reload two calibers. reload .45 also. it will really make a huge difference in felt recoil. as was stated previously use a fast powder and heavy bullet. load it mildly and i think you'll be pleased. try some n-310 or n-320 if your bankroll allows it. if not use some aa#2. in my opinion those are some nice powders to start with. also if you load those to a minimum you will probably want to change out your recoil spring.

Describe your grip and stance. (or get us pics or video)

+1

There is no reason in the world why even a small framed person shouldn’t be able to handle a .45 1911 shooting factory ammunition. I started shooting 1911’s when I was 12 years old & 100 pounds soaking wet. Back then my biggest problem was that it was too heavy for me to hold steady, but I handled the recoil just fine. My wife weighs 135 pounds, and handles the recoil well now that she’s had some instruction.

Before you start dropping money on parts or playing with handloads, focus on your technique. Get that right and all of your shooting will improve.