Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vertical Transition between targets

BoyGlock

2 targets arranged vertically, first target above the second which is much nearer to me, I cant let my eyes lead/snap to the secong target w/c I could not see because its covered by my arms/hands as I engage the first target. How do you do the trans? tia

Unless there is a good reason not to, you always start with the lower target and transition low to high.

This is real "Old School" used to be part of basic learning. Old school in a good way

They used to have a stage called Double Trouble = we still have a 29+ year old target stand= it has a 12" plate 18" off the ground and second 12"plate at about 55" off the ground at normal SC target height.

It used to be a Steel Challenge stage = just the two targets with five runs.

The times got a bit crazy is , I think that is why it got replaced. 0.85 crazy Mr Brian E. can tell us more on that one

So yes on -most-any target you want to fugue out how to get your eyes to the next target as soon as the last shot is finished.

The times got a bit crazy is , I think that is why it got replaced. 0.85 crazy Mr Brian E. can tell us more on that one

I think there is a video of this stage on Brian's Competition Reloading DVD. I saw it, then watched it about 15 times in slow-motion. Pretty amazing stuff.

2 targets arranged vertically, first target above the second which is much nearer to me, I cant let my eyes lead/snap to the secong target w/c I could not see because its covered by my arms/hands as I engage the first target. How do you do the trans? tia

Shoot the low target first, allowing the gun's recoil help you drive it to the higher target.

Unless there is a good reason not to, you always start with the lower target and transition low to high.

But some cofs would give great disadvantage on bottom-top trans so I better practice top-bottom trans. As expected, w/o the eyes leading the gun, the trans is quite slow.

But some cofs would give great disadvantage on bottom-top trans so I better practice top-bottom trans. As expected, w/o the eyes leading the gun, the trans is quite slow.

You could always shoot "gangsta-style" (one-handed, gun tipped over to a 90-degree angle). Then at least you could see the bottom target.

I'M KIDDING! :roflol: :roflol:

could you show some examples? the most common thing that comes to mind would be a vision barrier. given that, I would look to take the visible target upon setting up in a position.

I generally try to use a bottom-to-top transition if possible. Our local course designer uses a LOT of stacked targets. The biggest goof that we routinely see is when shooters do the "shoot, look, shoot" technique, they will drag the second shot up and into the top target.

Waiting for proper follow-thru on that #2 shot is critical, so letting recoil "carry" the gun up to the top target is risky at best.....

could you show some examples? the most common thing that comes to mind would be a vision barrier. given that, I would look to take the visible target upon setting up in a position.

Close bottom target, farther out top, on a dusty range.....

You might want to shoot top-bottom in that scenario, unless you want to wait for the dust to settle so you can see the top, far target.....

I had to learn that one the hard way -- with ribbing from a GM....

yes, a horizontal vision barrier as in a window sill of a port. The upper target appears first so i have to index to it first as I move to the port, shoot at it then trans to the target nearer and below the first target. I always felt I was groping for the second target as I move my gun towards it. :sight:

yes, a horizontal vision barrier as in a window sill of a port. The upper target appears first so i have to index to it first as I move to the port, shoot at it then trans to the target nearer and below the first target. I always felt I was groping for the second target as I move my gun towards it. :sight:

It's gonna be slow when you shoot the first target before you can see the second. You burn a lot of time finding targets that way.

Try coming in hard on the low target, and leaving on the high one.

simple answer. practice shooting transitions both ways, top-bottom and bottom-top. then you'll be good to go no matter what the stage throws at you :)

this is what I do, but I thought theres a better technique to practice it

The simplest answer is to KNOW exactly where the target is. If you do know where the target is, then you can look at the point the target will appear when you move your hands.

I usually do this in practice, still its slower than usual. Maybe w/ continuous practice it should improve...thanks