Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 KaBoom!

feederic

Today I was in the middle of shooting my first string on the second stage of the day when "poof!" smoke appears everywhere and my hands felt like a golf club hit them! I set the gun down and check that luckily all of my fingers are still intact. The gun is currently stuck in slide-lock, and you can see a ruptured case and a spot where a primer used to be. I haven't assessed the damage at all but the extractor is gone (MIA).

I switched to my stock Glock barrel a month ago after coming to terms that it was ok to shoot lead through it. I spent about 300 rounds meticulously checking for leading, which had been extremely minor. I am using Missouri Bullet 170gr LSWC, 4.6gr Universal, Wolf SP Primers @ 1.15" OAL.

On a side note, a shooter loaded and was ready. When he sat down in this stages starting position his gun got bumped out of the holster and I was staring straight down the muzzle when it landed!

What a crazy day! And to top it off, the toilet started to leak when I came home today.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sucks. I had a G23 let loose once. It's pretty scary. I was lucky to find my extractor and it went back in. I also had to reassemble my magazine. :blush: Glad you're ok. Post pics! I'd also like to know if your barrel has lead in it. It may not have been the lead bullets.

i had a case head let go on my glock 24. it wrecked the extractor, spring, spring loaded bearing and that rod that lives in there with all that other stuff.

the load was pretty mundane. 4.3 grains TITEGROUP, Montana Gold 180 JHP at 1.135 oal.

the piece of brass was winchester.

i had a KKM barrel in the gun. the case failed in the extractor groove and aside from the obvious crack. no other indications of high pressure.

I just finished wrestling with the gun tonight. The head of the case popped right off when I stuck a dowel in there to try and tap it out, it was completely ruptured. I ended up taking a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer and chiseling a small tang out that I could wrap some needle-nose pliers with.

After it popped out I disassembled the gun. I was surprised but it looks like the only thing I need to replace is an extractor, everything else looked pretty good. I was EXTREMELY thankful for that melonite finish after accidental slips with the needle nose pliers . I will put my LWD barrel back in of course, and run that from now on. I do find it to be slightly less reliable but I guess that comes with the full headspace support that I need. I might even switch to FMJ after thinking about it for awhile to avoid lead exposure as much as possible.

I popped the barrel out and sure enough the rifling was completely full of lead for about the first inch and a half! I had about 350 rounds down the pipe with minimal leading, and after cleaning I had almost 150 through it before this happened. I am completely shocked at how bad the leading was, and I am not to sure why it happened all of a sudden. The pictures make it out a little worse than it actually is but the leading is pretty severe.

Here's the Video

post-19767-042732100 1294645410_thumb.jp

It's not so much the leading as it was the case support...thus y I hve steered clear if loading 40 so far

Really??? Why are you so sure about that? Lead in a stock barrel in not a good idea at all. Leading in the barrel will cause excessive pressure and look what happened to this gentleman? Glock rifling is not condusive to shooting lead. There is plenty of support in a good case for running in a Glock.

I had a case head separation in my G22 a couple of years ago. The brass was at the end of its life and had been "Glocked" several times- so there was a noticeable belly before sizing. Add to that a fast powder and Major loading (in a 4" gun) and KABLOOEY! Same thing you felt, loud noise, numb hands and the extractor was missing in action. A replacement extractor and some borrowed factory ammo later and I was able to finish the match.

i had a case head let go on my glock 24. it wrecked the extractor, spring, spring loaded bearing and that rod that lives in there with all that other stuff.

the load was pretty mundane. 4.3 grains TITEGROUP, Montana Gold 180 JHP at 1.135 oal.

the piece of brass was winchester.

i had a KKM barrel in the gun. the case failed in the extractor groove and aside from the obvious crack. no other indications of high pressure.

So.. Have you determined the cause? Cracked case I guess? thanks. JT

Well it looks like all is not well with the gun. I was testing out my new DP Magwell and was wondering why my mags weren't dropping free. First step I removed the magwell, nothing. Next step inspected the new stipple job, everything looked great with it and the stippling didn't seem to be the problem. I found out the rubbing came up high in the frame, and low and behold there is a crack going from the mag release up to the trigger, and the crack profile happens to match a 1" bruise on my hand (which I guess now I know how I got). I'm not really a happy camper right now...and can't absorb the cost of a new rig on top of one being built so it looks like I'm out of the game for awhile. This is somewhat of a depressing way to start the year off. Oh well, taking some bruises and breaking some guns is common when trying to make it out there.

Your case is one reason why I prefer an all metal gun over a plastic one. A little more protection.

I have personally witnessed three of these "cases". One in a Springer 1911 one in a STI 2011 and my

own G35. I lost the slide stop lever. The other two were sent the local ER to have foreign material removed

from their hands and several stitches.

Could be anecdotal...I'm thinking not.

Jim

Yup, the polymer frame is definitely an asset with those kinds of case failures. The glock barrel design is also ideal for catastrophic failures since the weakpoints are on the sides of the chamber. Blasts are directed out to the sides rather than down towards your hand. The 1911 barrel does not have a designed-in weakpoint so the point where the chamber splits can be random.

Keep us posted on what glock says. Also, you shooting Pala this Sat?

I called glock this morning and they told me to ship it on in! I'm not sure if I will get a replacement under warranty or not, but the return directions had a price list and a replacement frame is $150. That is still MUCH cheaper than buying a new gun :)