Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 3rd and fourth stages....

G17fan

Top video: Explode when moving from left to the right down to the poppers, you had a smooth skip there. Should have had the reload done before reaching the other corner. Get the reloads up higher, doing them low.

Coming down that walk, maybe a smooth rolling the heel walk, you could have shot the paper, and started on the poppers, instead of moving all the way to the end, then start the engaugment.

Bottom video: Rack that slide hard and let it go, seen you had to rerack it. Starting with gun unloaded, start with first mag on belt, if they have to come from the belt. Reaching around to the back added some time. you engauged from left to right, last target was close, where you able to start, heading backwards? meaning while backing up, take you last 2 shots. Reloads low. Left side, shots from the far to near, sounded pretty close as far as split times. Starting from far to near, should increase in splits.

Both videos, let the mags fall. don't grap them to help with dropping. If the mag release is hit as you are bring the gun back to reoload, the gun will be straight up and down, mags can't drop out faster then that. But if gun is tilted as you hit the release they will drag.

Good Job, hope I help some.

Top video: Explode when moving from left to the right down to the poppers, you had a smooth skip there. Should have had the reload done before reaching the other corner. Get the reloads up higher, doing them low.

Coming down that walk, maybe a smooth rolling the heel walk, you could have shot the paper, and started on the poppers, instead of moving all the way to the end, then start the engaugment.

Bottom video: Rack that slide hard and let it go, seen you had to rerack it. Starting with gun unloaded, start with first mag on belt, if they have to come from the belt. Reaching around to the back added some time. you engauged from left to right, last target was close, where you able to start, heading backwards? meaning while backing up, take you last 2 shots. Reloads low. Left side, shots from the far to near, sounded pretty close as far as split times. Starting from far to near, should increase in splits.

Both videos, let the mags fall. don't grap them to help with dropping. If the mag release is hit as you are bring the gun back to reoload, the gun will be straight up and down, mags can't drop out faster then that. But if gun is tilted as you hit the release they will drag.

Good Job, hope I help some.

Thanks for the detailed input. Two of my 4 mags are from an older model G17 and they are a little tighter in the magwell. What can I do to fix this besides buy news ones?

Again thanks.

Thanks for the detailed input. Two of my 4 mags are from an older model G17 and they are a little tighter in the magwell. What can I do to fix this besides buy news ones?

Again thanks.

You are welcome. As far as the mags, could not tell ya, I am unfamiliar with Glocks, nor am I expert on guns. Although, a post in the Glock forum, here on this wonderful site, I am sure will offer some input/direction.

Glock mags are cheap. Buy more.

My thoughts are exactly like what the other guy said, reload faster - Once a mag is done and you are moving, you should have the reload done in the first two steps. That way you are thinking about entering the next shooting position correctly. Bend your knees. You are shooting standing pretty much standing straight up. That is a big part of having a proper base. A proper base (body position, stance, grip) is the key to recoil management and faster splits.

I had a guy that I trained with threaten to poke me in the shoulders with thumb tacks during the stages if I kept standing up tall like that. He never did, and never had to. I pretty much have that part down now.

Like he said, let those mags fall.

Engage targets as you see them unless there is a good reason to vary that order. As you come around that corner, shoot the first target you see and keep moving to the targets close to that one. On those close ones, shoot them on the move. Shooting while moving is something that has to be practiced and it can't be done smoothly unless your knees are bent and you are walking like your feet are round on the bottom instead of flat. Rolling from heel to toe.

Howdy,

It would appear that you are still having to think about the manual of arms (manipulation of your firearm). Dryfire will help with this. The more things you do subconsciously, the smoother and more efficient you will be.

Also, if you know if you have mags that need help getting to drop, use them last (meaning the farthest mags away from the front). But those are glock mags, they are cheap, replace them in my opinion.

When you move, move. Your last walkthrough while you are the ondeck shooter should be at full speed, with full sight pictures.

The first video your first reload looked pretty good, you were almost done when you got there, the second was not as good. It almost seemed like you adopted the mentality that you wanted to take your time getting to your next shooting position and your hands moved about the same speed. Moving left to right, should be a 2 step reload for a rightie at most.

The second video, on your first mag change you werent ready when you got to the shooting position. Dryfire (reloading while moving) will help. Sub 1 second reloads are achievable and could be one of your dryfire goals. That reload cost you what looks like more than 4 seconds based on the time of the video. The same thing with the second reload, it was a little faster at just about 4 seconds. That short of space between positions should be well under 2 seconds to get there with a reload. If you can do those things, you just saved 4 seconds off of your time. Now are you playing with a sub 20 run, or 5 hf. The draw and load cost appears to be almost 6 seconds. You wont see those types of starts often, but when you do, make it your strength (dryfire). With just a little bit of dryfire, you can cut 7 seconds off your time on that run. I wont comment on the splits/transitions as I dont know what you saw.

Good luck and keep blasting!

Regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

This will be quick. For some reason my computer is very sloooow today and your videos are taking forever to load. I did see your draws and reloads though.

Let me pass some advice that was given to me last year.

ALWAYS "load and make ready" the same way you would do a reload - gun up, strong arm slightly bent, looking the mag into the gun. Always! Even from a table start...load the same way EVERYTIME!

Review your video's as they are a great tool. Notice on your draw all the excessive movement with your head and shoulders? Try a reverse draw in practice. Have a friend watch or video yourself. The point is to have yourself set the way you want to be finished at the start. No movement other than your arm and hand reaching for the gun. Does this make sense?

Think of it as a fighters stance, nice wide feet, slightly leaning forward, mostly on the balls of your feet, RELAXED! Now snatch the gun from the holder and simply press it forward to your target. It's aligned because your body is already positioned! Your head and shoulders should already be set.

A good way to check your stance is to set up (in pratice or dryfire) and then close your eyes. Draw the gun, open your eyes, and check for alignment to the target. Adjust your FEET as required. You will find that you may need to step forward or back with your strong leg. The beauty is once you find the sweet spot...thats your GO TO stance! Don't adjust your arms if things are off a little.

I gotta run. Feel free to PM me. I will look at the rest of your video later.

I have had some great help from folks on this forum...Jake Divita and CHA-LEE to name two. Nothing like "paying it forward"...I would be happy to help!

Steve :cheers:

Edited by Bigpops

That is a nice range and the weather looked great. BigPops hit a couple of the big ones. The reload needs lots of work. 1st get the gun right so the mags drop free. I practice reloads over the living room couch with a timer get them down to about 1 second. Before a big match I'll go out and set up a course of dry fire in the back yard and do the reloads like the real thing on the move. Your stance could use a little foot forward and your positioning needs some work as well, second video too many shooting positions you moved 3 times and mabe with a little knee bending you could have got it all from one spot. You have to bend the knees when leaning around stuff. I've have a link to Saul Kirsh's videos on my site http://www.sashooter.com give them a look they are pretty good information. Movement is best described as exploding out of and coasting into a position. Its how fast you get there ready to shoot.

I started out with the idea that you could get good just shooting matches, well I found out no that's not true you have to practice and practice and practice some more. This means dry fire, reloading practice and even setting up boxes in the back yard and working on foot work, setting up obsticales and leaning around them etc. At 62 I don't run that fast anymore either but I'm getting faster all the time working at it. Do 15 minutes a day and you will be amazed at how much it helps. Now that I have said that I need to get back into my routine.

Thank you Bigpops and Cocobolo for the recent input.... I will surely take your information and watch the videos again and again to study my areas of improvement.

I really appreciate the info. When I am on the stage making ready... I tend to get a little nervous as I am trying to run through exactly what Im goning to do after the buzzer and then I find myself NOT doing what I planned in my head.....

Edited by G17fan

Thank you Bigpops and Cocobolo for the recent input.... I will surely take your information and watch the videos again and again to study my areas of improvement.

I really appreciate the info. When I am on the stage making ready... I tend to get a little nervous as I am trying to run through exactly what Im goning to do after the buzzer and then I find myself NOT doing what I planned in my head.....

Practice and matches will cure the nerves. For now - DRYFIRE! Even 30 minutes a day will go a long way. Start out at 50% of your full speed. In other words...do it right slowly and get a feel for how it should be. Video yourself if possible or have a friend critique you. Once you are doing it right turn up the speed a little.

Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire! 80-90% of your training should focus on this. The more you do it the more it will become second nature to you. So...when you here the beep your practice kicks in vice the nerves! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

From yesterday.... one thing I noticed... when I grap a mag, I look down at it..... I caught this on the first stage of the day and tried hard to not do it but..... I had a hard time resisting. Anyway, here are 2 of the days 4 stages. Comments welcome.

Edited by G17fan

From the first video whenever you load and make ready try to put the gun high, straight in front of your face, and watch the magazine go into the magazine well. Ideally that is how you would want to reload ( with the gun in front of your face not at your stomach.) On the first array i would have started on the right side target instead of going center right left. this would allow you to go in a smooth motion of right to left and not a bunch of back and forth which just waste time.

hope that helps

lilB

Edited by lilbeauxdawg

Do your mags not drop free? If not, get new ones. In the first video you were pulling them out with the weak hand and then grabbing a fresh mag from your belt.

Work on keeping the gun higher during reloads, look the reload into the gun, then get back on target.

Keep up the good work.

I am in the process of getting two new mags...

Thank you all for your feedback. Besides practice at home ( dry firing )unloaded of course, what books DVD's would be the next step.....

I know there are alot of DVD's and books out there but I want to start with the ones that will help me for my ..... current area's of improvement.

Again, thanks :lol:

Edited by G17fan

G17Fan> DVD's and Books are good but not a replacement for in person training. When you have someone standing next to you and correcting your bad ways right as you do them, that is where the learning really starts. Seek out some training from local shooters that are good. Then plan on attending a serious training event with one of the top flight GM's when they come through town. Yes in person training will cost your money, but it will save you many times that in wasted ammo and time by trying to figure it out yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

FIRST STAGE:

Some good shooters like to draw the way you do: With the weak hand gripping the gun as it comes up in front of the chest. I do not. I'm in the camp that brings the weak hand down and gets it swung up under the trigger guard as soon as it leaves the holster and rotates level. Most favor one or the other. Something to play with.

Your load (at make ready) is still down at your navel. Bring it up in front of your chin nice and close, as others have recommended.

You look at the mag pouch when grabbing a mag for LAMR. If you can't find it w/o looking with zero time pressure, it ain't gonna begin happening with the clock running. Use LAMR as a last-second practice run on your reload, and draw.

First reload: Get on the mag catch even sooner. Draw the mag MUCH sooner. The moment the 8th shot is fired, you need to be reaching for the button and mag pouch while the gun is recoiling. Get the load done as you're just getting started in your movement. Not during it.

Second load could have been higher. Certainly looks like you're starting to do them nice and high. See. That. Magwell.

At unload and show clear, again, looking the mag into the pouch. Draw and stow them as much as possible without looking... eventually you'll stop looking during a stage's reloads, too.

STAGE TWO:

Really low LAMR load. Again.

Too much movement of head and shoulders on the draw. Again.

To clarify what was said above: Load the gun and make ready. When you're happy, extend the gun in your ACTUAL SHOOTING STANCE and take a sight picture on T1. Now using just your arms, holster the weapon and wait for the buzzer. Since the stance is already perfect, you'll only need to move your arms to draw the pistol. Go try it at home. It's much easier to get the sights aligned in front of an eye, when that eye isn't moving.

Both exiting-the-box reloads are low. In your face!

The lazy man's jog from the second box to the wall is... lazy. Remember that there's a footrace in every USPSA field course, and winning it makes it easier to place well. This is why we want to see a high, warpspeed reload. If you can smoke the reload in one or two steps, you get to sprint. Not jog and try to get the mag into the wriggling gun.

Can't see the targets. So stage breakdown will have to wait for another day.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

FIRST STAGE:

Some good shooters like to draw the way you do: With the weak hand gripping the gun as it comes up in front of the chest. I do not. I'm in the camp that brings the weak hand down and gets it swung up under the trigger guard as soon as it leaves the holster and rotates level. Most favor one or the other. Something to play with.

Your load (at make ready) is still down at your navel. Bring it up in front of your chin nice and close, as others have recommended.

You look at the mag pouch when grabbing a mag for LAMR. If you can't find it w/o looking with zero time pressure, it ain't gonna begin happening with the clock running. Use LAMR as a last-second practice run on your reload, and draw.

First reload: Get on the mag catch even sooner. Draw the mag MUCH sooner. The moment the 8th shot is fired, you need to be reaching for the button and mag pouch while the gun is recoiling. Get the load done as you're just getting started in your movement. Not during it.

Second load could have been higher. Certainly looks like you're starting to do them nice and high. See. That. Magwell.

At unload and show clear, again, looking the mag into the pouch. Draw and stow them as much as possible without looking... eventually you'll stop looking during a stage's reloads, too.

STAGE TWO:

Really low LAMR load. Again.

Too much movement of head and shoulders on the draw. Again.

To clarify what was said above: Load the gun and make ready. When you're happy, extend the gun in your ACTUAL SHOOTING STANCE and take a sight picture on T1. Now using just your arms, holster the weapon and wait for the buzzer. It's much easier to get the sights aligned in front of an eye, when that eye isn't moving.

Both exiting-the-box reloads are low. In your face!

The lazy man's jog from the second box to the wall is... lazy. Remember that there's a footrace in every USPSA field course, and winning it makes it easier to place well. This is why we want to see a high, warpspeed reload. If you can smoke the reload in one or two steps, you get to sprint. Not jog and try to get the mag into the wriggling gun.

Compare the way you moved from the box to the front while loading, to one of the fastest men in the sport. THAT kind of speed is your goal. Watch the stage at 0:25 - how his feet are a blur as he moves whenever he's not pulling the trigger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni5QrKXonhc

Can't see the targets. So stage breakdown will have to wait for another day.

MemphisMechanic, thanks for the input.. I really appreciate it. Ive have been shooting for less than 2 years and within the last 12 months I have been consistantly attending matches twice a month..... If you have watched my previous videos, I have been trying to apply all the great information that has been provided to me. I "feel" I have made improvements in some areas such as reloading higher while shooting the stage. I feel I have also improved my speed shooting as I have been practicing on drawing and reloading at home ( safety first ) My scores at yesterdays match show improvement :D

Please visit my youtube channel for the previous videos as my account was accidently deleted so I had to upload everything again... Let me know your opinions if you believe improvement has been made. I value the opinions of experienced shooters as this helps me to improve. My match video's

Please, continue with the comments fellow shooters.

Edited by G17fan

G17fan> I don't mean to be a hard ass but why ask for what else you can improve on when you are not implementing what has already been suggested? It was pointed out in January that you need to make ready with the gun high in the same position you would do it during a stage run. You were also told to get more aggressive while moving. You have still not deployed these two simple changes three months later. Why stack more things to change onto the list of things to improve if you can't even make two simple changes that have already been spoon fed to you? This sounds harsh, but really think about it. If you are not willing to change these two simple bad habits what chance do you think you have of changing other complex habits? :ph34r: