Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO a deaf competitor

Jim Rusert

I've run hundreds of shooters over the years and I've never figured out the answer to this question: What are the range commands for a deaf competitor? How do I handle the situation should it occur on my stage? Has this come up in the past on the forums or can any of you recall seeing a deaf shooter in a USPSA or IPSC match?

Sometimes you have to work your way through these things. You could point to the range commands in the rulebook, one by one up to the point of the start signal. If no other option is available, you could write down that you will touch the shooter on the shoulder when the buzzer goes off. I have done that shoulder touch on shooters who were very hard of hearing.

Then after the shooter appears to be finished, revert to pointing to the range command in the rulebook until you are finished and can call "Range Clear".

I am sure you can work out something. Most of these folks have a way to communicate we just have to figure out how to do it best and safely.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Ive run one guy multiple times,,, I motion with my hand to the start position he looks at me I knod, for "Make ready" he knods for "Are you ready",,, I tap on shoulder at the buzzer he shoots, stops looks at me, I pointe to gun for ULSC, he heldup gun I pointed to holster, he holstered raised hands above shoulders for range is safe,,, deaf guys can still read, they know the commands and what is going on, not really hard.

The only concern I have with a competitor who can't hear me is stopping him if something goes wrong like a squib or REF.

Arrange in advance that if you put your hand on his back or shoulder he stops right there. Run him closer than normal, problem solved.

My sister-in-law is profoundly deaf. The first 2 signs I learned were: Stop and pain. This is because we were horsing around and she wound up twisting my ankle, but she had her back to me. It started to really hurt, I had to call my wife (girlfriend at the time) from another room to get my sister-in-law to stop. My wife gave her 2 signs and the pain immediately stopped.

I just asked my wife and she said generally deaf people have better seeing abilities (peripheral vision) then most people since they are accustom to constantly looking for movement. The sign for stop is done like this.

If a deaf person is shooting USPSA, chances are that you are not their first RO. The deaf are usually very good lip readers and have adapted to our hearing world, so let the shooter tell you what works for them. I went to school with quite a few deaf people and played sports with many of them. I've seen some people treat the deaf as if they are morons. :angry2:

My in laws are both deaf. That shooter may have a timer that has a light feature adapted to it. I have not checked my timer, does the light come on when he beep goes off. Maybe that would be a future to add to a timer. Something like a green light comes on at the first beep. You would have to hold the timer in their vision for the start. Just something to ponder over and thinking out loud.

I've seen this done at a few IPSC matches in Europe with deaf shooters;

Normally the RO has the timer set to a random start, they change to 'instant' start and tap the timer on the shooters shoulder as they press the button at the same time. If they touch the shooter during the course of fire then the shooter knows to stop immediately. As has been stated, many deaf people can lip read very proficiently so make sure that you face the shooter while reading the COF and ensure that the briefing sheet does not obstruct your lips.

I've seen this done at a few IPSC matches in Europe with deaf shooters;

Normally the RO has the timer set to a random start, they change to 'instant' start and tap the timer on the shooters shoulder as they press the button at the same time. If they touch the shooter during the course of fire then the shooter knows to stop immediately. As has been stated, many deaf people can lip read very proficiently so make sure that you face the shooter while reading the COF and ensure that the briefing sheet does not obstruct your lips.

Great info for a start and stop situation.:cheers:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not deaf, yet, I am hard of hearing. I have to wear powered muffs with the sound turned all the way up, and even then I have a hard time hearing some of the beeps from the timers. Especially the small ones like the CED 7000s. I have had quite a few RO/SOs tap me on the shoulder for the start signal. I have just never figured out how to get a stop command before is I can't hear anything. Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes a timer with a light on it?

On another note. I'd really, really like to be able to use custom plugs, and maybe normal muffs to try and save what hearing I have left. I might send a link of this topic to a few people who are RO/SOs and see if I can use some of these suggestions.

You know, I've thought quite a bit about this since I posted the topic and read all of the thoughtful replies. Obviously the tap on the shoulder works for the start signal, but can it be simultaneously applied with the audible start signal and get a truly accurate time for the stage?

Another tap on the shoulder to start the "unload and show clear" sequence might work but should we perhaps come up with a hand signal to reach over the competitor's shoulder to signal the "unload" commands?

As far as the STOP signal goes, I really think this needs our attention. The idea of a light is good but how do you get it into the competitor's field of vision, especially in an emergent or safety/DQ situation? Maybe there's a wireless solution that could be used to trigger a vibrating module on an armband. Maybe for the few that would be needed they could owned by the deaf shooter and be subsidized by USPSA or the NRA Foundation?

I think we need to work on this because we're possibly missing a whole bunch of possible new shooters out there.

I've a bit of experience with this.

I wear hearing aids, have since I was 3. can't hear without them. I've been competing for 6 years and have run into all the problems mentioned above and some new ones. There are some timers I cannot hear, I usually ask for or am offered a test beep. I always tell the RO that I am deaf and need the timer real close to my ears, Fortunately the RO's in both IDPA and USPSA have been good to me.

The two instances where I had real match trouble was at the 2008 wet Nat's in Tulsa, I had to take my hearing aids out, it was raining so hard. Some of the RO's were good about tapping me on the shoulder, some of the RO's hit the timer then touched my shoulder. Have to do both at the same time.

The other was my first ProAM, and the use of Par Times. While shooting, my hearing aids, as with the amplified ears, compress all sounds. I never heard the second beep, some RO's were good about tapping me on the shoulder, others not so much. Now I tell all RO's to tap me when I need to stop shooting. At the 2010 match, one RO actually said he would not touch me when I needed to stop, that was and still bothers me. I should have asked for another RO, but I didn't. I will next time.

As an RO dealing with HoH and deaf shooters, here are some tips.

we are hearing impaired, not stupid, please don't use baby talk.

Don't read the stage briefing with a cigar or cigarette in your mouth, same for chewing tobacco.

Let us read the official stage briefing when you are finished, we cannot understand every word we see.

If we ask for a test beep, give it, doesn't cost anything.

If you have to tap to start, tap and start at the same time, please

IF you touch us, we will stop shooting. do not get in front of us and wave.