Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI springs

TRG65

About a year ago, I got some ISMI spring and couldn't get full travel with them. When I called ISMI, they said they had gotten a lot of complaints and were in the process of changing the dimensions on the springs.

Does anyone have any experience with the current ISMI springs and how are they working? Do they still bind, crinkle, and not allow full travel without grinding out the inside of the frame (something I wasn't and am still not willing to do) or do they work just like the factory?

I was thinking about trying some again to improve the ejection of my game load, or should I just get some Wolffe.

Thanks

Seth Ritzman

I think they've resolved those issues. I've been using their 13 pound springs for some time in my 34 and 35 and have had no problems. In addition, I've had no complaints from customers who have purchased them from me either.

Guest Larry Cazes

6 months ago I tried some of their 140mm mag springs for my para and had some quality issues. Haven't tried again since.

I got a couple of 13 lbs springs from them about 6-8 months ago that would NOT function in my G35.

I bought one from Chris Patty recently and it works fine. Go figure.

This may sound like a dumb question, but, if you buy a spring, and it doesn't work properly, for you, can't you return it? Or, is it like an "electronic" part, for a car. Once it has been installed, it can't be returned?

I will probably just stick with IDPA for now. There are a lot more IDPA matches here than IPSC. We can shoot an IDPA match every weekend. Some weekends have a match on Sat. and Sun.

This may sound like a dumb question, but, if you buy a spring, and it doesn't work properly, for you, can't you return it? Or, is it like an "electronic" part, for a car. Once it has been installed, it can't be returned?

Well, you CAN. ISMI has an ironclad warranty. If his product isn't working for somebody, I'll bet (1) he wants to know about it so he can address it, and (2) he'll replace the defective product promptly and courteously. Instead of carping at ISMI over the internet, why not pick up the telephone and give the guy a chance to succeed?

It's just a thought.

Whenever the original problem occured, I did call Marc. He did send me another spring. However, he warned me when he sent it that it was the same size and they had run out of the older ones that were smaller and hadn't started producing the new run which was going to be smaller. I also have sent Marc an email and he said the new springs being produced are at the factory OD. Basically my experience is pretty much with chp5 experienced, I wanted to make sure the new "batch" had hit the market. Appently from Chris's, and Kyle's comments it has.

About returning springs it depends on the company, a friend of mine has been having problems with his 1911 and last week ordered several different weight springs direct from Wolffe. None of the springs would cycle his gun. When he called Wolffe this week about returning the springs becasue they were too light, they told him that if the package was opened he couldn't return it.

Thanks for the input. When I recover from buying my first AR and all the accessories and reloading equipment, I'm going to buy some ISMI springs for my 9mm 1911 and G-34's.

There is a real difference between a defective spring and a guy ordering the wrong weight spring.

Matt - the 13 or 15 lbs spring should work in a G35 shooting major loads - correct?

About returning springs it depends on the company

Fortunately, you were wise enough to buy from ISMI, who has a 12 month "No BS" warranty, so it sounds like you will be getting a proper spring.