Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson's new Elite lineup

YamaLink

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see them do this, but I guess I would be a little hessitant to buy one until I knew they worked the bugs, especially with mags

+1

They should loan me one for a couple months to work the bugs out for them. I wouldn't even charge them much to do it. :cheers:

Chris

That’s too bad. There seems to be a hole in the market for lower priced semi-custom high-cap 1911’s and I thought these Dan Wessons would fill that void nicely. But not at 40 total. I would think there would have been a significant number of non-gamers buying these guns too.

Specs.."from what i have heard and seen".. may have something to do with the price.

Checkered Frames

Schuemann barrels

EGW Koenig Hammers and Sears

Dawson sights on Iron guns

Dawson ICE magwells

2 140 mags per gun

Accu-lock plugs

Lightened slides

Barry Mounts on the Open Guns

Ti hammer struts

All around high end components.

Ouch, 4K is definitely high, I’m assuming the limited gun will be a bit cheaper. You can get a custom open gun for cheaper than that with the same parts. I was thinking they were going to go for a $1400-1700 price point for the limited gun but I guess I’m wrong. I suppose they couldn’t have gone too low on price since their single stacks cost that much now. I bought my PM7 about 2.5 years ago for ~$800, a great value.

Ouch, 4K is definitely high, I’m assuming the limited gun will be a bit cheaper. You can get a custom open gun for cheaper than that with the same parts. I was thinking they were going to go for a $1400-1700 price point for the limited gun but I guess I’m wrong. I suppose they couldn’t have gone too low on price since their single stacks cost that much now. I bought my PM7 about 2.5 years ago for ~$800, a great value.

I'm not sure where you can get full custom guns with the same parts for much cheaper than these DW's but these are not "cheap" guns. These are on par with the very best customs out there. That comes at a price. These are not assembly line guns but hand built customs by a very good gunsmith with the best parts made.

You can't even get a base factory STI Edge for $1400 and that doesn't come with any of the high end parts. The only way to get a new Limited Division race gun at that price range you would have to go to the Armscor folks. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it would definitely not be close to the same level as these DW Elites.

I would like to get a full custom for less too, but since I can't that's why I learned how to work on my guns myself. :ph34r: My guns ain't pretty but they work and I didn't have to spend a bundle to get the stuff that I wanted. :D

Chris

Well if they are only making 40 total, I think we should file a protest on the limited gun not meeting the 500 quantity quota.

I think they are doing 40 per year in the Elite line and I don't think they are being built in the DW Factory as they are custom built.

Has there been a change in how they build these Elites? I handled some about 5 years ago and they were not very well made. I am shocked as to the asking price for these.

Not sure what "Elites" you are referring to. CZ bought Dan Wesson in 2005 and to my knowledge has never produced any Customs until 2011. I too have had the chance to fondle one of the Elites, they are awe inspiring in both build quality and components. I have heard from people that attended the Shot Show that the limited guns will be running around upper middle 3k. The one I played with was the limited, they are right it requires no more tinkering and it felt like a solid piece of steel "no rattle, no play". Lightened slide, fibers, awesome trigger, and a barrel that shoots better than myself. The only thing you may want is more magazines, however it does come with 2 140s unlike other manufacturers.

Has there been a change in how they build these Elites? I handled some about 5 years ago and they were not very well made. I am shocked as to the asking price for these.

Dan Wesson has not produced a gun like these Elites. I've owned DW 1911's for at least 6 years and kept up with the models available during that time.

Again, the word is that these new guns are hand made by one gunsmith. Not produced on an assembly line.

Chris

I'm not sure where you can get full custom guns with the same parts for much cheaper than these DW's but these are not "cheap" guns. These are on par with the very best customs out there. That comes at a price. These are not assembly line guns but hand built customs by a very good gunsmith with the best parts made.

You can't even get a base factory STI Edge for $1400 and that doesn't come with any of the high end parts. The only way to get a new Limited Division race gun at that price range you would have to go to the Armscor folks. Not that there is anything wrong with that but it would definitely not be close to the same level as these DW Elites.

I would like to get a full custom for less too, but since I can't that's why I learned how to work on my guns myself. :ph34r: My guns ain't pretty but they work and I didn't have to spend a bundle to get the stuff that I wanted. :D

Chris

You used to be able to get a Dan Wesson 1911 with good ed brown parts for the same price as other 1911's with basic MIM parts. I was hoping they could work their magic on the 2011 platform too. Make a a high quantity of double stack guns with good parts (but maybe not great parts) for roughly the same price as a stock STI 2011.

Well if they are only making 40 total, I think we should file a protest on the limited gun not meeting the 500 quantity quota.

All three of the Elites are USPSA legal. The basic configurations and parts are all legal.

Chris

I guess that would depend on whether Smuckatelly Bob shows up with one, or super duper sponsored guy does. Evidently that has something to do with whether the complete gun or components rule is applied. Just look at the sight tracker/ 6" Para double standard.

All three of the Elites are USPSA legal. The basic configurations and parts are all legal.

Chris

I guess that would depend on whether Smuckatelly Bob shows up with one, or super duper sponsored guy does. Evidently that has something to do with whether the complete gun or components rule is applied. Just look at the sight tracker/ 6" Para double standard.

I'm not sure what you are talking about but it sounds like you have a USPSA rules issue. There is a forum for that. Maybe you can post a question there about the legality of 6" limited guns. I assume that you have had your gun ruled illegal at a match?

Personally, I have yet to hear about any 6" limited guns with a 6" barrel and 6" slide being ruled illegal at a USPSA match. Robbie, Todd and a host of others have been shooting 6" limited guns for several years. All with their own special slide lightening cuts, some bull barrel and some bushing.

BTW, the sight tracker (I mean Truesight) is a totally different gun. It's a 4.5" slide and 5" barrel with a barrel weight. Since that is a different configuration they had to make enough of the components/guns to make it legal.

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata

The Caspian frame is legal for Limited as are 6" slides and barrels so it would be Limited legal as shown in the picture from CZ. Now if they create a new component that hasn't been made before than the 500 rule will apply.

Rich

BTW, the sight tracker is a totally different gun. It's a 4.5" slide and 5" barrel with a barrel weight. Since that is a different configuration they had to make enough of the components/guns to make it legal.

Chris

:huh: Didnt notice .5" sticking out of the end of the slide.

BTW, the sight tracker is a totally different gun. It's a 4.5" slide and 5" barrel with a barrel weight. Since that is a different configuration they had to make enough of the components/guns to make it legal.

Chris

:huh: Didnt notice .5" sticking out of the end of the slide.

Sorry, I meant the true sight gun. That's what I assume he was talking about. As far as I know the sight tracker setup is legal. Right?

Or, has there been a rules issue lately not allowing the sight tracker barrels on some guns?

Chris

Edited by Resjudicata