Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What brand slugs and buck for three gun?

JMIS

Slugs.. try a couple different brands, see what gives you the right goups and hits out to 75-100yds

I like the Federal low-recoils, but there's a lot of choices out there.

For me buckshot is so uncommon, except at iron man, doens't matter much. But I use Federals low recoil when it matters. I also use cheap #4 buck and wolf 00, when it's just getting lead down there.

I like the reduced recoil Winchester Winlite's in slug & 00.

Soft shooting and runs great in my M2.

Like stated above, try several brands and see what groups best with the choke you run the most.

I like the Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs. They are a littel longer than most standard 2 3/4" shot shells so they might hang up in your caddies. I bought a case of the Fiocchi reduced recoil 00 buckhot to go with the slugs and it was all lumpy and shistuff. Half of it would not feed in my semi auto and that crap would barely feed in my pump. I have also had good luck with the Remington reduced recoil sluggers.

I shoot the federal low recoil slugs also. If you choose the SB low recoil slugs, they are a little longer, and only 7 will fit in your 8 rd tube. A big match is not the best place to figure this out. :wacko: Don't ask me how I know? Also, they don't cycle 100% in my gun. They are accurate, and work great, as long as you only need to shoot one slug. If you add in the Murphy factor, it's just a bad idea...

So far in my 1100s the best has been the Remington reduced recoil sluggers. I've tried a bunch of different ones and this is what my gun likes. Federal low recoil buck seems to be the best in my 1100s as well. Now that I have switched to an FN SLP, I'll have to test everything again. I see a LOT of B&P slugs at matches and they are pretty inexpensive. Have a case sitting here waiting to get on with some testing.

In my FN SLP

-Rem sluggers

-Federal bulk pack #8 or #7.5

-I always have a few 00 buck, and a box of #6 high brass (for those pesky stars that don't fall easy, and heavy poppers)

Something I heard somewhere is "Flight control buckshot"?? supposed to really hold tight patterns, and good for spinners & such.

Something I heard somewhere is "Flight control buckshot"?? supposed to really hold tight patterns, and good for spinners & such.

May be thinking of the Federal flight control wod.

The flight control wad really works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever shoots the best in your gun. get a bunch of different kinds and pattern them to see how they shoot. Doesnt matter how badly you want to shot XYZ brand if your gun wont group it well, you wont have a good time.

I see a LOT of B&P slugs at matches and they are pretty inexpensive. Have a case sitting here waiting to get on with some testing.

Did some ammo testing in the shotty's. A few things about the B&P, the round is a tad longer than the others and did cause some issues in my Otto caddies. We had a Benelli, an 1100 and a SLP. None of them would cycle the B&P slugs, I mean not even one round cycled! The 1100 has the ports enlarged, so this was a tad disturbing. These three guns ALL run Rem, Win, Fed, Wolf reduced recoil rounds 100%. The recoil was much less with the B&P slugs than the others we tried. Accuracy was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Looks like I'll have to find a pump gunner to pawn these off on.

I see a LOT of B&P slugs at matches and they are pretty inexpensive. Have a case sitting here waiting to get on with some testing.

Did some ammo testing in the shotty's. A few things about the B&P, the round is a tad longer than the others and did cause some issues in my Otto caddies. We had a Benelli, an 1100 and a SLP. None of them would cycle the B&P slugs, I mean not even one round cycled! The 1100 has the ports enlarged, so this was a tad disturbing. These three guns ALL run Rem, Win, Fed, Wolf reduced recoil rounds 100%. The recoil was much less with the B&P slugs than the others we tried. Accuracy was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Looks like I'll have to find a pump gunner to pawn these off on.

Wow... you just saved me money. I was gonna order some B&P. Thanks for the post. :cheers:

Wow... you just saved me money. I was gonna order some B&P. Thanks for the post. :cheers:

You are most welcome! BTW, their regular birdshot loads all ran great and were very good. I also tried their spreaders, again, very good.

That's weird Mark, both my Salient Benelli and my stock 14" M2 cycle the B&P slugs....

Don't know. These things were so soft I'd be surprised if they were the advertised 1200 fps. T was about 50 degrees, but I doubt it makes that much difference.

I tried three different slugs today. Win. reduced recoil, Rem. low recoil and Wolf. Wolf was the only one that cycled the gun. Winchester shot the best groups. It was pretty cold, mid to high 20's.

I never shot slugs in a match yet. Does the target size get bigger out past 50yds? If not... I'm in big trouble :unsure:

Keep testing I guess. And more practice.

i too have had feeding issues with the B&P. they are extremely easy to shoot with very light recoil, but wouldnt cycle in the 11-87 i was testing them in. its a shame too, bc they grouped extremly well!

The Winchester and Rem low recoils slugs at 50, should both group very small.. 3" or so. 50 yards is pretty close.

After 50 yards the targets are generally 16 x 20" steel? maybe bigger. MGM uses paper target sized steel, but you will see smaller too .. like 12:" round plates

The Winchester and Rem low recoils slugs at 50, should both group very small.. 3" or so. 50 yards is pretty close.

After 50 yards the targets are generally 16 x 20" steel? maybe bigger. MGM uses paper target sized steel, but you will see smaller too .. like 12:" round plates

They did group very well. I shot two boxes of each with alot of rounds not cycling the gun. I'm shooting a new SLP with about 50rds of target load and 30rds of slugs threw it so far. Will that gun cycle better after more rounds. I thought I read they are stiff in the beginning.

Yep, I put several hundred rounds through mine before I even tried slugs. The guy I shoot with had some function issues in the first 100 rounds or so.

That makes me feel better. Good to know.