Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leather, yes, Leather

Wild Gene

Hello: Safariland make some leather and suede lined holsters. I used to use a Safariland 560 for a 5" 1911 for a while. I think they call it a 568 now. They also make some others that look good as well. The Milt Sparks 55BN with a straight drop is very nice. It has a steel band at the top to hold it open. The Sparks holsters take a while to get but are very nice. There is also a guy who covers Kydex holsters in all sorts of different leather. You will have to look it up or do a search. Lastly make sure what you choose is IDPA legal. Thanks, Eric

Lastly make sure what you choose is IDPA legal. Thanks, Eric

There's the kicker Eric! There is no real list anymore, and what is legal on one person is not necessarily legal on the next.

I have some very nice cowboy gunleather that is kydex lined form Kirkpatrick. I also have a rig from Mernickle that is very fancy. Too bad they didn't work!

WG

Sure, the idea of the game is concealment. That lends it's self to leather because those of us who have worn both, KNOW leather is more concealable. With that being said, if you want to fight like you train, wear the leather. If you want a cheap holster to play with, and not ruin your custom rig that you have for conceal carry, just grab a cheap kydex one. You can adjust the cant a bit and make it real nice to draw from. IDPA is basically concealed as long as there is a garment over it, so it doesn't have to be hidden like you would want for normal carry, just concealed. Up to you. Shoot cheap, use your carry holster. Grab a set of Blackhawk CQC mag pouches and you're set.

Cedar Ridge (now doing business as Davis Leather) Gunsite Omega rig:

IMG_09181.jpg

Davis was one of the early IPSC holstermakers, with steel-lined "walk & draw" style rigs that were popular in the '60s and '70s. Andy Anderson, another one of the early fast-draw and IPSC holster innovators, passed his patterns on to Davis, and then Davis to Cedar Ridge. Good stuff.

Thanks, am I glad I stumbled on this post. I have been trying to replace a "Davis Phoenix" holster I used to own.

I've seen this web site but never read far enough to make the Davis connection.

I totally loved the Davis horse shoe trade mark, still got a Davis horse shoe pin from 86 nats.

Yeah, I have one of the old Davis gunfighter rigs alluded to, and when I wanted a replacement belt made for it, had no idea where to go, not being able to locate Mr. Davis. I eventually went with Ted Blocker, another company that still sells some '80's-style rigs, and while the belt they made is great, it would have been nice to have it made by Davis or what was until recently, Cedar Ridge.

DSCN0305.jpg

Yeah, I have one of the old Davis gunfighter rigs alluded to, and when I wanted a replacement belt made for it, had no idea where to go, not being able to locate Mr. Davis. I eventually went with Ted Blocker, another company that still sells some '80's-style rigs, and while the belt they made is great, it would have been nice to have it made by Davis or what was until recently, Cedar Ridge.

Copy that, I was ready to order a Blocker till I saw this and fired them an E-mail. Blocker make great stuff but Davis is what I used.

Sure, the idea of the game is concealment. That lends it's self to leather because those of us who have worn both, KNOW leather is more concealable. With that being said, if you want to fight like you train, wear the leather.

If you haven't tried a Raven Concealment kydex holster, you might be surprised. While most kydex holsters don't conceal well, Ravens are a different matter entirely. Seriously. And, yes, I do have good leather holsters as well.

I ordered the Cedar Ridge, Gunsight Omega.

I also found a store that had a whole pile of SigTac vests for $25.99, what a deal! :cheers:

I've been looking at the Omega. I would appreciate any feedback you have after using it some.

Also, would you be willing to share the link to the store with the vests?

I used the Omega in a match for the first time, yesterday. In fooling around with it at home, and in some informal draw practice, I thought it moved around a bit too easily on the belt (mostly in terms of tilt), but tightening the screws a bit still allows easy on/off the belt, but the holster stays put. I like it. It's lined with smooth leather, and the draw is really smooth.

• 1 month later...

I used the Omega in a match for the first time, yesterday. In fooling around with it at home, and in some informal draw practice, I thought it moved around a bit too easily on the belt (mostly in terms of tilt), but tightening the screws a bit still allows easy on/off the belt, but the holster stays put. I like it. It's lined with smooth leather, and the draw is really smooth.

Rick, my initial impression was the same, it wiggles too much. I need to tighten the screws. I do think it is really comfortable. It just "really feels good". I can't put my finger on what or why, but it is very, what's the word...it just makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside or something... It looks very sharp and is very "simplisticly functional" for a lack of any better term. Nice Holster. I better go shoot my gun.

Gene

Edited by Wild Gene

I now have one IDPA and two or three USPSA matches with the rig, and still like it a lot, though moving around - bending over to pick up a mag - will still change the angle of the holster. If the screws are cinched down enough to ensure no movement on the belt, it's not going to come off the belt, either. I could tighten and loosen the screws each time I put it on or take it off (to run the belt through the pants loops), but that's a hassle. It seems better suited to a two-part belt, but that's a no-go. In looking at older competition holsters, not just from Davis, but from Rogers, Bianchi and others, they all seem to use a similar screw tension to hold the holster on the belt. When I go to the line, I just make sure it's straight up and down on the LAMR.

These don't have "slots" per say, they have more of a channel between protected screws. I am pretty certain that I ordered mine for a belt that is a hair wider than the everyday belt I had on when I first received the holster. Either way, it is still an extreemly comfortable set up to wear.

I have had mine on for the last couple days just wearing it, and it is very comfortable, secure and concealable, while providing excellent access to the pistol. We are calving now, so I like to have something handy for the coyotes, and my 1911 has not popped out while wrestling with the babies. I am liking it.

WG.

My belt and holster were ordered as a set, so they're a match as far as fit goes. As noted above, there aren't slots to locate the belt, but a "tunnel" with tension screws top and bottom.