Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't know if this belongs here.

slippp

So I was cleaning my trojan the other day, and once I took off the slide, this piece fell out of it. I have no idea what this is, nor have I ever seen it before.

Can anyone tell me what this is? The gun still appears to function properly; the trigger pulls, the slide cocks back, the hammer falls and locks back, etc.

Thanks!

mini-IMAG0212.jpg

mini-IMAG0211.jpg

mini-IMAG0210.jpg

Sorry for the shotty pics....

Looks like the front leg broke off. You'll need to buy a new one. There should be a little pin that holds it in place.

Darren

Thank you. I didn't realize it at first, but when I placed it on the frame, I realized it then :P

I am ordering an ejector now as we speak. Is this install easy?

Also, what could have caused the ejector to break off like that?

that can be a bear. i still have a 1911 frame in the safe with that front leg firmly imbedded in the frame-ain't comin' out. hope yers is different.

Don't scare me like this :(

Have you tried tapping / extracting it?

If this is the case with mine, what do I need to do to remove it? This is my only 1911 and I want to try to make it to single stack nationals with this :P

STIs have a lifetime warranty. Email them and they will send you a new ejector.

This is the great thing about owning an STI. They will stand behind it 110%

Thanks! However, I didn't register my gun via their website.... Is it still too late?

I'm guessing by the length of the ejector that you are shooting a .45acp?

No sir, .40 S&W

As far as fitting it, you typically have to cut a little groove in the front leg so that the pin that holds it in place will slide through the groove and retain the ejector. You will also probably need to shape the tip of the ejector and make sure it is the correct length. You may also have to remove some metal off the top or sides of the ejector if it's rubbing on the slide. Finally, the back of the ejector will most likely be long and extend out the back of the slide. This will have to be filed down to match your slide...or if you don't care about looks, just leave it long.

Darren

As far as fitting it, you typically have to cut a little groove in the front leg so that the pin that holds it in place will slide through the groove and retain the ejector. You will also probably need to shape the tip of the ejector and make sure it is the correct length. You may also have to remove some metal off the top or sides of the ejector if it's rubbing on the slide. Finally, the back of the ejector will most likely be long and extend out the back of the slide. This will have to be filed down to match your slide...or if you don't care about looks, just leave it long.

Darren

Thank you darren. What grit sand paper should I use to shape it? If not sandpaper, what should I be using to shape it? Will the ejector need to be tuned, or is that only the extractor?

Thanks for the responses guys! Keep em coming :D

Thanks for the links and info guys!

I guess now I just have to wait for my ejector and pin to get here before I figure out how to do this.

I assume I won't be able to really "tune" it until I get to the range, correct?

Thanks for the links and info guys!

I guess now I just have to wait for my ejector and pin to get here before I figure out how to do this.

I assume I won't be able to really "tune" it until I get to the range, correct?

BTW, the ejector won't come with the pin. Hopefully you can use the one that's probably still in your gun. If not, you can buy an STI Pin Kit.

D

I've heard of more than a couple people with Trojans and Spartans that have loose fitting ejectors (the one on my gun was). That lets them rock front to back a little bit as the gun cycles...that was probably happening with yours, and it got to the breaking point from the number of cycles, vibration, or it had a bit of a flaw in the metal. R,

Forgot to say yesterday, sometimes the magazine can come up and hit the bottom of the ejector and that's what could have caused it to break. This is especially possible if you do a hard reload with the slide locked back. If you do some research on why some people modify their guns to prevent the slide from locking back, one reason they cite is breaking off the ejector. A lot of people will file off a little material on the under-side of the ejector to prevent the mag from hitting..it's usually just a little bit. Just put an empty mag up in the magwell (with the slide locked back) and watch where the mag hits the ejector.

I know some people just stick the ejector in the gun without using the little cross pin to hold it in place. If the magazine comes up and hits the ejector and pushes it up, it could affect your ejection path. The slide would prevent it from coming up too far...but just a little bit changes the ejection (as every 9major open shooter will tell you).

D

[edited for typo]

Edited by ExtremeShot

that can be a bear. i still have a 1911 frame in the safe with that front leg firmly imbedded in the frame-ain't comin' out. hope yers is different.

Put a pin back through the frame (to keep the remaining piece from turning). Drill onto the broken piece, remove the pin, then pull out the broken piece (much like removing a broken screw)

Edited by GunCat

Forgot to say yesterday, sometimes the magazine can come up and hit the bottom of the ejector and that's what could have caused it to break. This is especially possible if you do a hard reload with the slide locked back. If you do some research on why some people modify their guns to prevent the slide from locking back, one reason they cite is breaking off the ejector. A lot of people will file off a little material on the under-side of the ejector to prevent the mag from hitting..it's usually just a little bit. Just put an empty mag up in the magwell (with the slide locked back) and watch where the mag hits the ejector.

I know some people just stick the ejector in the gun without using the little cross pin to hold it in place. If the magazine comes up and hits the ejector and pushes it up, it could affect your ejection path. The slide would prevent it from coming up too far...but just a little bit changes the ejection (as every 9major open shooter will tell you).

D

[edited for typo]

D, thanks! You've been nothing but helpful :)

The new extractor should be in tomorrow. I'll post up and let you guys know how it goes :P

Put a pin back through the frame (to keep the remaining piece from turning). Drill onto the broken piece, remove the pin, then pull out the broken piece (much like removing a broken screw)

Good information! Thanks!

Call STI service and they will send you another one. Just about everyone here shooting a Trojan in 9mm has broken one.

My gun is Hard Chromed and the sent me a chromed 38/40 ejector.

Be sure when replacing it that you check clearance between the ejector and all your magazines with the slide off.

A small amount may need to be removed to keep it from breaking again.

STI has been very helpful the few times I have called them.