Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 9mm accuracy

Les Snyder

I need help on an accurate 9mm load for a Glock... I am currently shooting a G34 with a Briley barrel, Heinie fixed rear, and a tall Dawson front thinned to .090in....I am reading about very good groups being shot by Glock pistols, but am not able to come anywhere near them with readily available factory loadings...would someone please help an old fart...... regards

First thing I'd say is not to believe everything you read. Lot of people seem to be able to shoot 2-3 inch groups off hand at 75' sitting at their key board. As for loads my old favorate was a 147gr. Montana Gold and 3.4 titegroup. My new favorate is 115gr. Precession Moly and 3.0 titgroup. For a minor load and a comp I use 135gr. X-treams and 4.3 Rex-2.

I need help on an accurate 9mm load for a Glock... I am currently shooting a G34 with a Briley barrel, Heinie fixed rear, and a tall Dawson front thinned to .090in....I am reading about very good groups being shot by Glock pistols, but am not able to come anywhere near them with readily available factory loadings...would someone please help an old fart...... regards

My Glock 17 9mm load to make IDPA power factor (125,000) and very good accuracy is 4.7 Grains Win. 231, Berry's Double Struck 115 grain round nose.

A few things Les.

I believe your post would be better suited in the 9mm reloading sub-forum.

A simple search there will reveal thousands of loads that deliver the goods. Unless of course there are some fundamental shortcomings in our shooting technique. I am not assuming their are.

Dismiss data that lacks OAL information. It worthless at best. Dangerous at worst. I have posted that junk in the past and regret it.

Good Shooting!

Jim

My Glock 17 9mm load to make IDPA power factor (125,000) and very good accuracy is 4.7 Grains Win. 231, Berry's Double Struck 115 grain round nose.

I like about the same load just 4.5 red dot, glock, beretta or springfield.

thanks all... I have a 1050 sitting idle, and was looking for a factory load so didn't post in the reloading section...I'm getting vertical stringing with 115 Federal and something that looks like a buckshot pattern with the 115 Win white box at 35yards... Federal 147s better... was trying to shorten the learning curve

I run 4.0g of Titegroup behind a MG 124JHP out of my G34. It seems to be as accurate as I am.

R-Bros, What sort of PF is this load making?

Todd, I run zero 124/125's at ~1.135 OAL with 4.2g of TG...and get 135pf+ out of a G34.

I crowned the Briley barrel and changed locking block (there was a high spot on the original)... shot some groups with readily available factory ammo... 35y groups off a bag... best group approx 4inches with Federal American Eagle 147grain, about 5inches with gray box Federal 147, Federal American Eagle 124, and 124 handloads of WSF, and 135 super bullets of WSF about the same around 6inches... Federal 115 around 9inches and Win 115 white box about 12 inches.... guess what I shot at Ft Benning?

Flexmoney, yes, the Briley was about 2inches tighter, but my eyes are getting old, and was getting a little tired by that time... guess that is as good as I can expect... thanks for the comments

Les - are you pretty good at shooting other pistols off a rest? Because I'm not. Only gun I shoot great groups off of a rest is a 22LR. Somehow I keep doing something inconsistent after the primer ignites.

On the other hand [like you might have noticed once or twice] i can shoot really well standing unsupported @25 yards. Glock 20 with all-winchester handloads went under 2" several times, G35 under 1.5 a few times, and the dot-sighted KKM-barrel G17 open gun went under an inch quite a few times. I figured it was a combo of the gunsmith work, red dot on a target spot, and optic on the slide.

We may have talked about it but my best Open groups are on targets with a big cross made of white tape, best iron-sight groups on a target with about 2" of red stickers at the center. The aiming points made a big difference.

I'm out of classroom bondage in about 7 weeks; first clinical rotation is Psych in NPR [The Harbor].

Eric.. once upon a time I shot a 1911 pretty well off hand... my Limited Master card was shot with a single stack .45(long ago), I made some 4inch black targets and shot from the bag at Ruskin to cut down on variables...my Glock trigger is not quite as light as yours, the G35 did shoot tighter than the G34... regards...I made a bad choice of ammo for use at Ft Benning and got tagged for a couple of 10 second no shoots... good luck at The Harbor...

Edited by Les Snyder