Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's Scout

Tokarev

Maybe I am out of the loop on this deal, but where in the U.S. do we have a M.O.R. rifle division in the Action Shooting Sports.I have NEVER seen it at a major 3-gun match, many years ago they used to have a M.O.R. side match at the 3-Gun Nationals but it soon died and it was much closer to "precision" shooting than it was anything else, and I don't recall it ever being a division. KurtM

BINGO! This thread proves that members of this forum always have something to discuss.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scope???? The rifle has decent iron sights and you're going to cover them up with a scope???? ;)

Let us know how it shoots.

It does have decent irons and I'm anxious to shoot it. Hopefully I can get some rounds fired this weekend.

I personally would like to see a MOR division in multigun, but we would probably screw the whole thing up by trying to make it different than it already is in IPSC :sight:

Bryan, you asked earlier if the stages were the same as our multigun stages, YES, not only are they like the same, they are the same. Its just another division in a match, as I said earlier they are allowed only one hit on a target, and that is simply doubled to get them the necessary 2 hits. Since capacity is generally a problem as is speed of operation, its done to speed up the shoot/reset time. Too many of us look at rifle as a precision tool only, so do MD's sadly, this has caused or led to larger optics being wanted by shooters, or competitors feeling driven to put optics on rifles in order to hit stuff. A true Practical rifle match does not exist in this country as far as I'm concerned, it may have in the past but they have or are being mutated into precision matches!!!!

Kurt and I have been asked to help put on a "Practical Rifle match" and if it works out the way I want, that Ruger rifle will be a good basis for one of the divisions. BTW, to me Practical is 0 - <500, with the 500ish targets being man sized or elk sized, not dinner plate sized, and do it from something other than prone.

trapr

Retail price is listed at $995 but Ruger rifles (or pistols) never seem to command retail price. As an example, the retail price on a Mini-14 is close to $900 but they actually sell for somewhere around $650. If that holds true for the Scout, it should be right about $700.

Ruger is now making their own barrels and the newer rifles I've messed with shoot much better than the older ones.

I think that part is key. From what I have gathered, Ruger used to farm out their barrel manufacturing. They had some less than stellar barrels that earned them a reputation for poor accuracy. Since they started making them in-house, that trend seems to have reversed. I have a Ruger 220 Swift that is an absolute tack driver.

Their mini-14s do seem to be turds in the accuracy department though. Although I think that has to do with design, not the quality of the barrel.

I personally would like to see a MOR division in multigun, but we would probably screw the whole thing up by trying to make it different than it already is in IPSC :sight:

Bryan, you asked earlier if the stages were the same as our multigun stages, YES, not only are they like the same, they are the same. Its just another division in a match, as I said earlier they are allowed only one hit on a target, and that is simply doubled to get them the necessary 2 hits. Since capacity is generally a problem as is speed of operation, its done to speed up the shoot/reset time. Too many of us look at rifle as a precision tool only, so do MD's sadly, this has caused or led to larger optics being wanted by shooters, or competitors feeling driven to put optics on rifles in order to hit stuff. A true Practical rifle match does not exist in this country as far as I'm concerned, it may have in the past but they have or are being mutated into precision matches!!!!

Kurt and I have been asked to help put on a "Practical Rifle match" and if it works out the way I want, that Ruger rifle will be a good basis for one of the divisions. BTW, to me Practical is 0 - <500, with the 500ish targets being man sized or elk sized, not dinner plate sized, and do it from something other than prone.

trapr

This is refreshing to hear.

Their mini-14s do seem to be turds in the accuracy department though. Although I think that has to do with design, not the quality of the barrel.

I have one of the new Mini-30 Tacticals and I've had good luck with it. It puts five rounds into about three inches with iron sights. While not "match grade" I think that's pretty decent for a little rifle that's got a heavy trigger, etc. Surprisingly these accuracy results seem about standard regardless of ammo weight/type/brand. One of these days I'll see what the gun will do with an optic attached.

I have not played with one of the new Mini-14's but I've heard they are more accurate than the old ones. How accurate is "more accurate" is open to interpretation, of course...

I shot about 90 rounds through my Scout this afternoon. I don't have my scope yet but I was anxious to try the rifle with irons and get those dialed in. Ammo used was a mix of 125gr and 130gr reloads and some German 147gr surplus.

I started off shooting at my old standby--rock on the hillside--to get some rough adjustments made to the sights and then moved to paper. I fired a number of groups of five rounds at 100 yards. Accuracy was good with my best group being five rounds into two inches. Most groups ran about 3"-4" with the 147gr ammo shooting about 2" right of center.

The irons sit rather low on the gun and my cheekbone is feeling the punishment. The gun is mild in recoil and fairly pleasant to shoot but I'll be glad to get an optic mounted that'll let me get my head up off the stock just a little bit.

More when I have it...

P1010536.jpg

XS Sight Systems prototype extended rail:

P1010549.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

taller sights or sand down the comb, its an easy fix. what type of groups do you normally get when you shoot iron sights??? would you say those were pretty typical of your ability or can you do better with a better gun??? do you shoot irons much??? or are you typically an optic shooter???

dammit man these are the answers we need!!!!!!!!! :sight:

trapr

that was an attempt at humor, hope you took it that way :huh:

taller sights or sand down the comb, its an easy fix. what type of groups do you normally get when you shoot iron sights??? would you say those were pretty typical of your ability or can you do better with a better gun??? do you shoot irons much??? or are you typically an optic shooter???

dammit man these are the answers we need!!!!!!!!! :sight:

trapr

that was an attempt at humor, hope you took it that way :huh:

I'm a semi-auto guy. The last bolt rifle I shot was a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine and the last time I fired a Ruger M77 was probably 20 years ago. That was one of those "all weather" stainless models with the crazy narrow butt plate. I don't remember the caliber--7mm Mag, I think--but I do remember it wasn't much fun to shoot! :o

The groups I got today are about typical of me and my equipment. Part of the problem is my bench. It is a lightweight portable table and it is easily disturbed. Another is my lightweight portable target stand. The targets are clipped to dowel rods and these are also easily disturbed by breeze.

Once I receive my scope (Leupold variable power scout scope) I'll try to get out early in the morning before the breeze picks up and see that I can accomplish.

And here it is with Leupold's 1.5-4x28mm variable attached.

I'm liking the forward mounted optic idea more and more. It seems easier to work the bolt handle, especially while on the move, with the scope completely out of the way.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMjIyLTAwMDUwLmpwZw.jpg

Here it is with the XS rail removed. I decided to pull the rail off because I'm going to work with the gun using long eye relief scopes. That's the plan for the time being, at least.

The wind died down a little this evening and I had just enough time to get a working zero on the scope before the sun went down. I put three rounds touching from the seated position at about 40 yards and fired three rounds into 2" at 100 yards off my elbows.

The Leupold German #4 reticle is decent but the crosshairs are probably a little thick for precision target work. I'll play with the gun next weekend (if the wind cooperates) and see what I can do with some 168gr match stuff.

P1010646.jpg

I have an old (bought in '73) 77 round-top in .270 that was my main hunting rifle for years. It has a great trigger and is a 1 MOA shooter. That was before the MK II and triggers designed by lawyers! I'm told the more recent models have better, adjustable, triggers.

I just picked one up yesterday for 824.00. And I was given two free boxes of PMC ammo.

This was just what I was looking for. A light weight user friendly carbine to carry while hiking up here in Alaska.

Now I need time to test fire it and sight it in.

I just picked one up yesterday for 824.00. And I was given two free boxes of PMC ammo.

This was just what I was looking for. A light weight user friendly carbine to carry while hiking up here in Alaska.

Now I need time to test fire it and sight it in.

Let us know how it shoots.

I've got one of the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 2x-7x long eye relief scopes on the way. I want to try the gun with several optics mounted to see which one works the best for me.

I ran the GSR today with irons as well as with the Leupold and the Hi-Lux scout scope. Both scopes are very similar in overall length and size but the Hi-Lux scope feels slightly heavier. Optically, the Chinese scope is bright and clear and compares well with the Leupold. The Hi-Lux has a finer set of crosshairs and is easier to use on paper but I do note that the Leupold's crosshairs seem a little sharper, darker and more defined. Also, the Leupold's adjustments move more freely and the magnification ring turns smoother. Not that the Hi-Lux scope is bad, by any means, but the magnification ring does feel a little draggy.

Both optics seem right at home on top of the gun and I shot some decent groups using both scopes. But, based on versatility and magnification range alone, I think I have to give the nod to the Hi-Lux. I like the idea of being able to leave the scope on 2x for shooting close targets and shooting offhand, etc. I also like that I can crank the magnification up to 7x for shooting off the bench or when a stable rest is available. The Leupold's 4x setting is limiting in this regard, in my opinion. Another nice thing about the Hi-Lux is that there's no radical change in eye relief like with the Leupold when adjusting magnification.

P1010649.jpg

My experience with the Leupold is that if you are getting radical changes of eye relief the scope is not mounted in the best position. Mount and check on highest magnification an dthen turn it down and recheck. If still a problem then redo at highest magnification.

I have one on order and hopefully it will be here soon. We just get the rough end of the pineapple down here for guns from the US.

As for Ruger accuracy, I just got a No1 in 303Brit and using Federal 150gr factory ammo it groups bang on 1" at 100Y with a 1-4x Trijicon TR24G. I have some of the new 150gr Hornady SST for 303 and from a freinds reports they will do much better.

My 338Federal using 185gr Barnes holds sub 1/2" for three shoots with a 3-9. But I get poor groups when trying for 5 shot, I think it the recoil as the stock is great for hunting / standing but crap for bench work.

Best MOR ever is the SMLE #4 Mk1, shorten it to 20", cut the stock back to the first barrel band. The only issue is the ammo and the mags. Some have rebarreled them similar to the L39 in 308. It will cost a bunch more than the Ruger to do is the big problem.

• 2 weeks later...

In my never ending quest to find the most versatile optic, I have mounted a Swarovski Z6i EE scope. This is a very nice piece of glass and has a great amout of versatility with magnification from 1x to 6x. It does have an illuminated reticle that's visible in all but the brightest sunlight. The image is crisp and clear and color rendition is about perfect.

On the down side, the scope is a dangerous game scope with extended eye relief and not a scout scope with long eye relief. It's designed to keep you from getting whacked by the scope when mounted on something like a .375 Ouch and Ouch. The position pictured is as far forward as I can mount the scope and still get proper eye relief off the bench. For standing offhand, it wouldn't hurt to move the scope back about 1/2" but it's already back as far as it'll go with the factory rail. I might have to re-mount the XS scope rail to give me a little more room.

As you can see, the scope covers the ejection port and I had to remove the rear sight to mount it. But it still allows the bolt handle to clear and be worked quickly and freely.

P1010687.jpg

P1010682.jpg

Two different groups of ten shots using Federal 175gr Gold Medal. These are off the bench at 100 yards using the Hi-Lux 2-7x32mm scope. My friend at Ruger tells me these guns should shoot a little better with 168gr ammo.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzIwLTAwMDY3LmpwZw.jpg

This one looked good on the camera but it's hard to see here. There are several rounds in the red center aiming point. The other six or seven are about an inch under. Total group size is about and inch and a half.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwMzIwLTAwMDY4LmpwZw.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read this month's AR article.

If the 16 1/2 barrel was selected because it "provdied optimal balance", why was the 3" muzzle brake screwed on the end of it? Why not just go with a 20" barrel for velocity?

Craig

Edited by Bones

agreed , the flash suppressor is too short for a 308, in this regard it is almost useless, altough a good crown protector, the suppressor needs to be a least as long as the one on a m1a or better yet the older FN_FAL. Original scouts , such as the Savage and custom models had the scopes forward to facilitate loading, with the box magazine its not as necessary. That z6 set looks like the hot ticket.

• 1 month later...

Here's one of my latest groups. This is with Hornady 155gr A-MAX. My CED M2 chrono had decided to get fussy with me so I've got no velocity data. But this load shows promise and I'll have to pick up another box to try. Maybe next time around I can get some chrono data.

P1010939.jpg