Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's Scout

Tokarev

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the box Ruger rifles are very much hit and miss in the accuracy department ..and the triggers are the worst of any of the major brands. The rifle is a nice design and the AI mags are dependable. However, It would have made a lot more sense, IMHO, if they had set the magazine system up to use the non specific AR 10 mags as used by most of the AR 10 manufactures. The Magpul type mag would have been better - again...IMO. 1/3 the cost of the AI mags and 20 rounds, rather than 10, in a multipurpose rifle that specifies its intended usage to include self defense and personal protection makes a difference......

When I saw the gun I wanted to get one but.... Unless you are going to limit yourself to one .308 and it has to be a bolt gun..........

I have an AR10 so why bother.

Also some overseas countries can't have auto's. Standard Manual division is where they compete in IPSC rifle. I like the attempt but could they have made it uglier???? No doubt the AI mags were used because a system to adapt them to bolt guns is already tried and true. Would AR type mags have been nicer?? yes, but who makes a proven system to use them?? I would like to see other calibers, with both bigger and smaller holes, and perhaps a .223. I hope the barrel is threaded to accept a standard muzzle brake so I could change to one I want.

I like the fact that they chose to name it after my puppy :blush:

trapr

I have an AR10 so why bother.

Because you can't use a gas gun in MOR...

Understood. Sorry I did not limit my thoughts strictly to the MOR area in my reply.

For MOR...? It is cool that it has the detachable mag.

It is not cool that it has a crap trigger system and most Rugers are not very accurate.

If you limit your thoughts on the gun strictly to MOR it would also be better with a 20" (or longer) tube to get some better/higher velocities for longer ranges. If you bring up the "it is handier with a shorter tube" side of the argument we are getting away from the MOR gun thing and going to where I went with my thoughts in my previous post.

But... WTF do I know about it.... Just my .02.... ;)

MSRP is right under $1K. That is one cool little rifle. But, what to do with it? If they had an Iron MOR division it would fit right in. But why use this with an optic when a 20" Rem 700 LTR is a little cheaper and gets higher velocity?

Michael Bane (who is trying to sell these for Ruger) reports that it's a 1.5-2.0 MOA rifle w/ 150g soft points and a 1.0 MOA rifle with Federal GMM. I don't think that can be expected consistently from Ruger though.

Kind of makes me smile about my $180 Spanish FR8, which is right over a 2moa rifle.

317910604.jpg

Edited by Bryan 45

Spanish "Freight" (FR8)?????

For the manual divisions in IPSC rifle the short barrel makes PF, and benefits from the same short overall length that auto's do when they have 18" barrels, i do not know if the magazine capacity is an issue, i know that they allow them to hit each target once instead of twice to help speed the COF along. The division is recognized the same as Open, and Limited, provided there is enough competitors to recognize it. Here in the US,......... not so much!!!!! We use our bolt guns as long range precision guns or for hunting. The rifle does fit well into the "practical" arena though, 2min accuracy is all that is needed to win most 3gun/multigun matches.

trapr

Retail price is listed at $995 but Ruger rifles (or pistols) never seem to command retail price. As an example, the retail price on a Mini-14 is close to $900 but they actually sell for somewhere around $650. If that holds true for the Scout, it should be right about $700.

Ruger is now making their own barrels and the newer rifles I've messed with shoot much better than the older ones.

AI mags are the most common for bolt gun conversions because you have to mill away practically the whole bottom side of the action for a double stack magazine to work. It's been done, but the single stack AI mags work better.

I like the concept, it reminds me of the direction my 700P is slowly moving. Some evolving pics from the last few years:

Before:

308rifle.jpg

308-2.jpg

Hooper3.jpg

The mag system was kinda a fiasco, it worked but I wasn't happy with some things and it was returned. The rifle is sitting disassembled in the safe until I can stop spending money on 3 gun stuff long enough to buy a Surgeon magazine system.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am out of the loop on this deal, but where in the U.S. do we have a M.O.R. rifle division in the Action Shooting Sports.I have NEVER seen it at a major 3-gun match, many years ago they used to have a M.O.R. side match at the 3-Gun Nationals but it soon died and it was much closer to "precision" shooting than it was anything else, and I don't recall it ever being a division. KurtM

The mag system was kinda a fiasco, it worked but I wasn't happy with some things and it was returned. The rifle is sitting disassembled in the safe until I can stop spending money on 3 gun stuff long enough to buy a Surgeon magazine system.

Slight drift...

Would one of those magazine systems work on my Remington 660 ?

Slight drift...

Flex,

I am sure you could get a smith to mod one up but all of the DBM's (detachable mag bottom metal) conversions for the Remington (Badger, Seekins, Surgeon, CDI et al) are made for the 700 pattern actions.

Slight drift...

Flex,

I am sure you could get a smith to mod one up but all of the DBM's (detachable mag bottom metal) conversions for the Remington (Badger, Seekins, Surgeon, CDI et al) are made for the 700 pattern actions.

Like he said, the action screw spacing is different so it won't work out of the box, but you might get a smith to make one work. If you wanted one custom made for that length, your best bet would probably be CDI Precision I'd think.

• 1 month later...