Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Approved holsters?

JacobStaff

Probably a good idea to avoid holsters with adjustable cants and removeable backs that allow stacking the holster away from the body. Those appear to be the holsters that may or may fit the criteria of a carry holster in the eyes of the BoD.

I wouldn't worry too much about the list .... At the local club level no one will bat an eye unless you show up in a full blown "race rig", even then in my neck of the woods we still allow them to shoot. By the time you are shooting at sanctioned matches you will have changed your mind on what a good holster is at least 5 times. Guaranteed. It's required B)

Now for the .02 cents part of this post. I'd avoid Fobus. Seems like kydex, but it aint. Hard to work with, and slows you down. Voice of experience here.

At most local levels, like kdmoore said, almost anything goes, but, if you decide to go to a big match, I would suggest that your equiptment is what is listed in the book. SOME match directors go strictly by the book, and it will really piss you off to drive a ways to a match, and not be able to shoot, or worse yet, shoot, win your class, and THEN have somebody complain that you're equiptment isn't by the book, and be disqualified.

FWIW I was told by a holser MFG yesterday that the freeze on holsters was removed in Jan or Feb (it didnt matter to me) and they are accepting holsters from Mfgrs again for approval.

Just what I was told!

But I see no reason this guy would tell me anything wrong!

Larry P

RH45:

At most local levels, like kdmoore said, almost anything goes, but, if you decide to go to a big match, I would suggest that your equiptment is what is listed in the book. SOME match directors go strictly by the book, and it will really piss you off to drive a ways to a match, and not be able to shoot, or worse yet, shoot, win your class, and THEN have somebody complain that you're equiptment isn't by the book, and be disqualified.

Completely agree with your statement. That philosophy is what made me decide to start the thread about the 1911 rail/extended dustcover stuff. If you're gonna play a game, you got to know what the rules are and they must be portable, or you discourage inter-club activities. I would add to this that if you want to go to a sanctioned match (or a match at a club where you are not known) you better get and practice with gear that is clearly legal. Around here if you go to another club's match and do well (whip the top dog), you will probably get questioned about your gear. It is a game, remember, which means we will be competitive!

• 3 years later...

I'm kinda glad the holster thing came up again. I think the new holster rules have an unintended flaw in them, and that is "seeing light through the holster". The problem with this is that some of the lesser expensive holsters are not tight in the belt loops, yet are closer to the body and offer better concealment than those that meet this requirement. I understand that the Uncle Mikes does position that gun quite off the body. But a good example of this would be the Blade-Tech injection molded holster. This holster IMO holds the gun closer to the body than the much more expensive Stingray holster, yet it is not legal by the definition of the rules, whereas the Stingray is.

I learned my lesson way back in 1998 that you need to be responsible for your equipment. That being said, I saw plenty of holsters at the Nationals that had plenty of daylight through them. I'm not aware of anyone penalized for this. Maybe the match officials agree that if it doesn't offset the gun any, than it meets the "intent" of the rule?

Edited by Bucky

At the Nats I personally sent 15 people scrambling for a new holster. If they came to the line with the holster that they were wearing it would be a FTDR. I didn't have to give any out. I then marked a equiptment warning on their score sheets. What really burned my butt is that some of the shooters had already fired many stages and no one said a word to them. I became known as the "the holster nazis". The rule is quite clear no daylight between the belt and the holster. But everyone I caught gave me the same excuse, "I have been using the same holster for years and nobody has ever said anything to me". Its time to start enforcing the rules, good or bad.