Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and Cons for Lead cast for 9mm

Blackfin2

O know this my other previously posted topic has been beat to heck, but I cant find earlier posts regarding my questions. SO, what is the negative aspects of 100's of rounds of "good" lead cast bullets, I would expect that lead fouling is an issue but another forum described moly fowling to be worse and not to worry about lead cast bullets fouling. The other forum mentioned that regular cleaning, after say 500 rounds or so would be normal, and that lead would NOT create an increased amount of residuals in conjunction with the "normal" powder build up fouling. The intent of my questions are researching the absolute least expensive round components to reload, IE, BBI vs Berrys, Lead cast vs Plated or jacketed. WIth (3) beginning shooters in one family , and the current economic conditions warrant the research.

Can you guys give me your load costs and where you get the components (primers, powder, brass and projectiles) my kids (and my wallet) greatly appreciate the input.

Wayne

My cheapest 9mm load is (all prices delivered) Bullets from S&S Casting 124 gr. Lead Round Nose $124.90 for 2,000, Unique Powder from Powder Valley 8 lbs $128.00, Wolf Primers from Widener's 5,000 for 125.00. I've never bought brass, it's all picked up at the range. Using 4.5 grains of Unique comes to: bullets $0.062 each, Powder $0.01 each and Primers $0.025 each for a total of $0.097 or $9.70 per 100. Leading has not been a problem in my M&P Pro. Happy loading! Bill

Bill that is fantastic, thanks a million. My 13 and 14 yr olds are breaking me. I buying a Dillon 650 in a week or so and will be reloading ASAP. WE try to shoot once a week at about 600 rounds during that practice, so you can imagine buying factory stuff it gets quite expensive, but they love it (and I) so you have to do it just because. Again thank you. I hope to read more posts just like yours.

Wayne

There is no downfall for lead to me. It is cheap to shoot, just as accurate with some load development, will not wear your barrel out, there is no leading if it is the right size for your barrel. Yes, there is some residual build up in the gun from the lube used that needs to be clean, but doesn't everyone have to clean their guns. Last year I shot 1500 rounds of LRN cast bullets with tradition lube through one of my guns before I cleaned it and the cleaning involved just 3 passes with a bore snake.

Oh, and my cost break down is approx $1.38 per 50 rounds of my hand casted 125 LRN bullets using Titegroup powder.

Edited by toddrod

Smoke is the only down side.

That's why I shoot, moly coated lead bullets that offer substantially reduced smoke over lead and comparable prices. @ $60.50 a thou for 9mm 147s + discount for large orders, it's the biggest no brainer in the history of earth for those of us who refuse to pay 30-40% more for jacketed bullets.

Edited by twodownzero

You'll love lead :bow: I haven't bought any 9mm since I stocked up with 10,000 rounds a few years back, but, I just bought some 230 grain, .45 round nose for $60.00 per thousand. I also shoot .38 Super and .38 Special in competition. .38 Special, 125 grain cost $48.00/1000. Federal primers, Tite Group and Winchester 231. I rarely clean the guns. Smoke is not an issue for me. If there is smoke I don't notice it. I'm busy focusing on the front sight and target. I don't load hot except for the Super. Hope this helps.

You havnent mentioned what barrel you are using, I had issues shoting lead in 9mm, I never really found a load I liked for the Browning Hipower, and My 1911 game gun with a Nowlin match barrel gave me fits till I figured it out. I did all my acuracy tests with a clean barrel, But couldnt get past sharpshooter in IDPA because I was bombing points on stage three, Id come home and practice it do great, go to sanctioned classifier and blow stage three. One day I lost the front sight optic, and went to rezero with about 150 rounds since cleaning and was getting group size in feet. cleaned the bore went back to one hole groups, kept shooting and with each magazine the groups opened up more and more, I switched to winchester 115 hollow base bullets and never looked back, Moral of the story, the slightly undersized Nowlin barrels hate cast lead.

I, on other hand, cannot force myself justifying paying for lead bullets. I buy 9mm 124gr plated Berry's for $68/1000 here in Canada. The only way I'd start using lead bullets would be if I had time and place to cast myself... living in appartment at this time... And it's much easier and faster to load plated bullets.