Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions on which Timer to buy?

Mike in CT

I like the pocket pro 2! Just clip it on your belt and you are good to go. The CED 7000 has a lanyard and I don't really care for the smaller screen. You can easily look down at the pocket pro and see what your times are. It has big buttons that are spaced out so you can easily see what your splits are as well.

Edited by cworks

I prefer the Pocket Pro II but I also have the CED7000. Most if not all matches I've attended use the Pocket Pro or Pocket Pro II, the buzzer is a mid pitched buzz. The CED7000 is a higher pitched beep that people with hearing loss can't make out well through their hearing protection.

The Pocket Pro II has one big flaw, it only allows a single par time to be set, whereas the CED7000 can have multiples. The practical issue here is dryfire training where you might want a par time for you draw, a second for the target transition, and a third for the mag change. The CED7000 lets you train like that, where the Pocket Pro II does not.

I prefer the 9v batteries on the Pocket Pro II, having to remember to charge CED7000 is a pain in the butt.

Edited by ihatepickles

• 2 weeks later...

CED7000 is the only one i've owned but its worked great

I like this one:

shootersconnectionstore.com

Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer Blue

Part: CEI-4700

If you are unsure about which to pick up, I'd give SC a call and talk with them about the different timers. They have used a wide variety and can answer some of the more not so common questions, not to mention, give you some info you may not be thinking about if this is your first purchase.

I went with blue over brown just because it's easier for me to see in the bag or if it gets dropped in the grass.

For most shooters, this has it all in a compact package for a reasonable price. Shot count, split times, start time from beep to first shot, etc... works great for drills, has random beap start for USPSA, forced time limit if desired, lot of settings for dealing with echos, easily configured which is a huge bonus.

What I like most is the interface is familiar, simple, and I don't need to carry the manual with me! I can navigate the screens easily, I have a battery strength indicator on screen, and numbers are easy to read while the device is light enough to wear at the range with no problems at all. 9v seems to last quite a long time with fairly regular practice use.

Good luck,

Rob

I have a ced7000 airsoft model. I like it. If I wear it on my wrist and turn up the sensitvity it can pick up the clicks when I dry fire my revolver and my 1911. It won't pick up the striker click on my Glock though. I like that I can program a multi-par and I feel the screens are easy enough to navigate through. You can turn down the buzzer volume like the regular 7000 but my wife has learned to HATE it anyways. Turns out a hundred low volume beeps coming from the basement at 6:30 in the morning work like an alarm she can't shut off. I turn the sensitivity all the way down and it works like a regular timer when I go practice. CED doesn't recommend using it for live fire but so far it has worked without a problem. I wear it on the hinged clip and hang it upsidown on my belt. I don't have a problem reading the screen but it can get the oil slick effect with a lot of direct sunlight on the screen.

My friend has a pocket pro 2. He bought it because those are the timers at my local range and he wanted to use what they use. They are nice timers but the second time we used his I dropped it on the pavement and it broke. He sent it back and they charged him to fix it. LAME. I bought him some beer to make up for it.

Yeah, it was lame. Five minutes into practice and I broke the only timer we brought with us.

I have dropped my 7000 the same way. It has also been knocked out of the clip when I was moving while shooting. It has a silicone skin on it that I think helps break the fall. It still works fine.

• 1 month later...