Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions on which Timer to buy?

Mike in CT

I would like to get one of the more popular brands but have not been to too many matches to see what they use.

Any recommendations?

Is the Competition Electronics

POCKET PRO 2 SHOT TIMER

one of the better ones? I see them for about $120

Thanks

Mike

I went with the Pocket Pro II. The CED is nice but two things kept me from buying it. Very small print on the screen is too small for my old eyes and the pitch of the beep is too high for my old ears. Most people probably prefer the 7000 for personal use but every match I have ever been to uses the Pocket Pro or the Club Timer by PACT.

The Pocket Pro II is a very good timer.

I have a CED 7000 and I like it a lot; especially for dry-firing in the basement since I can lower the volume of the beep. Having said that, I will add that if I were in the market for a new timer, I would probably consider purchasing a PACT Club Timer III: http://www.pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=63

I would like to get one of the more popular brands but have not been to too many matches to see what they use.

Any recommendations?

Is the Competition Electronics

POCKET PRO 2 SHOT TIMER

one of the better ones? I see them for about $120

Thanks

Mike

Many clubs don't use timers that are the most popular for individual practice...so don't worry about that. The Pocket Pro 2 is a good timer (I have one). I also have a CED 8000 and 7000. 95% of the time I'm using the CED 7000...it's small, works fine, and the battery lasts forever on a charge. The only negatives are that the screen is small, and the tone is a pretty high pitch, so some folks have trouble hearing it. If either of those two are a concern, the Pocket Pro II is a good alternative. R,

I own a Competition Electronics pocket pro and it' been a little fragile. It's been dropped three times and every time it will bend the battery connections. The third drop is when I suggested the indoor club purchase it's own timer.

The indoor club timer, just purchased is a CED 7000 and that's what I wishes I had bought, small fit's in pocket when your taping, scoring etc.

Our IPSC club timers are Pact and have given good service with years of use. Most have tape on the battery cover and that's why I went CE. Understand they are used hard in all weather. Our club shoots three gun, steel challenge, IDPA, IPSC and cowboy and these timers were used for all the games.

I would recommend the Ced 7000, then Pact club timer with Competition Electronics a close third.

Anyone of the three has pluses over the others and are going to give good service, price is close enough not to be an issue.

Were I purchasing a new one today for my use CED 7000, I like that you can charge the battery, hold 10 strings and easily fits in your pocket, most cell phones are larger.

I like the layout of the Pact Club Timer, it looks easy. Price wise I think Midway has a sale on the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer for 109.00. Is it fairly easy to use? While I am fairly technical I have this idea that these things are harder than they look to work and understand.

Mike

Pocket Pro 2 here. It is bigger than a 7000 but you just put it on a pocket or a belt and you instantly see your times, no tilting necessary. Runs on 9 volts that last a while and you can get them anywhere. Comes with it's own belt clip already attached. I use to have an old CE timer that I used since the 90's and it still works just as good today as the day I got it! (I gave it to a friend that didn't have a timer).

One more vote for the pocket pro. I've had the same one several years. It has been to several cowboy matches, a couple USPSA matches and hours or dry fire and not failed yet. They are very easy to use, and has served the squad more than one time when the club timer has failed or broke.

I would like to play with a ced, just to see, but still no regrets.

I think it all comes down to what are you going to use it for? What functions do you need to train with? Some can do everything and some are just basic functions. I'd say look at a timer that does what you'll be needing it to do. If you just want one for par times and low memory strings, then get a basic one. If you need one that also is a chrono get that one. Your individual needs will point you in the right direction. Good Luck. :cheers:

I went with a PACT mostly because it was available locally.

Works great and does all I need it too.

I do have to wear it on the front of my belt for practicing rimfire.

Considered the CED but opted for something with a clip.

CED requires arm band or additional purchase. (that I can't get locally...) Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Foam ear bud fits in the PACT speaker hole too. Muffles nicely for using indoors for practice.

I'll post this yet one more time.

Cliff notes version: pocket pro2.

Expedited version of the various problems with the various timers.

Speed Timer 3000 - With more competition, it's not relaly that cheap anymore. The review process nukes the data after one scroll trhough. In "hot" weather, the screens go black and you can't read them without icing down the timer. "Hot" means a sunny day over about 65 if someone leaves them remotely exposed to sun. If it is over 95, probably happens before the end of a match even if left in the shade. Also doesn't have very good features for practice. Oh, and the pocket clips break off. If not easily, inevitably.

Pact MK IV - pretty awesome. Also not actually made anymore. Biggest problem was not dealing well with being dropped due to their mass, and that the small dot matrix display is a bit of a pain under low light or for people without the best eyesight.

Pact MKIV XP - PIle of suck. IT has a multi-string buffer that as it gets full delays the "instant" beep. Use it at a real match, and halfway through the day, "instant" may mean 12 seconds after you press the button. Pact said this is not possible. I sat down and figured out how to reproduce it as well as how to reset it (which is buried like 6-8 steps deep in the menus). Explained it to PACT. They said that is not possible. Demonstrated it on 12 different units. PACT won't talk to me anymore. We essentially had to throw out $1200 of timers because they were ruining matches bad enough that we couldn't even give them to other match directors (they had suffered through them at said matches).

Pact club timer - UI is the worst UI for ANYTHING I have used in nearly forever. Setting up a par time stage with the manual in front of you is a supremely frustrating experience. In hot weather, not only does the screen go black, but before that it starts randomly failing to record shots. Very bad for a match. It is also just very awkward to hold and use.

CED7000 - nice and compact. The rechargeable battery is a double edge sword. Very nice when you remember to charge it, very painful when you don't. For a match you can get battery packs, but they are awkward at best, mean you have parts you have to not lose, and realistically you ahve to have someone carting them back and forth AND remembering to charge them. The menu system is nearly as complicated as the CED8000 without as much flexibility. In hot weather the display goes clear and you can't see the time without icing it down. Under optimum conditions, the 8 segment numeral are small and a bit of a PITA to read fast. Plus about half the units we have procures have a heavy "oil slick" rainbow effect to them.

CED8000 - Very complicated menus. EXTREMELY flexible as a practice timer, way too complex for a match. Display does pretty well in the heat, and the huge numbers are good for the guys without good eyes. But the hinged design is a mess. The piezo element that makes the beep is right next to the microphone. This means you never really get your draw times in live fire because the first 6-8 entries are the very minute gaps in the beep tone. They are the only stock timer with headphones for dryfire (thats good), the headphones are non-standard, so if you lose them you are SOL (that's bad).

Pocket Pro - dead simple with a well behaved review. But the 8 segment display goes black in hot weather (most outdoor matches) and is hard to read in bad light (most indoor matches). It has basic par time functionality, but you can't set up more complex dryfire par time drills. When it is only about $10 cheaper than the pocket pro2, buying it makes little sense.

Pocket pro 2 - We still haven't abused them in the peak of summer yet, but the screen seems to be pretty immune to blacking out or going clear, and the Benosverse has given feedback to the effect that folks in the gulf states and the desert get through summer without that problem. They have enough features to be good for dry fire practice, and are "turn it on, press a button, read the time" simple for matches. The use 9 volt batteries, so no getting caught flat footed by someone forgetting to recharge them. The display has a bigger number mode for the older guys with bad eyes, and a backlight for indoor matches.

So, my #1 all around recommendation is the pocket pro2. It's what we are gradually migrating to for four distinct matches as our pact MKIV and speed timer 3000s crap out. Between t hose matches, we will essentially be throwing out 14 pact MK IV XP timers, 7 CED 7000 timers, and 8 pact club timers for having unacceptable problems.

My #2 would be a toss up between the CED 7000 and 8000. But purely form a dryfire/practice standpoint. It's really a battle between not buying batteries and a convenient form factor vs. not having your wife stab you in the face after the 8 millionth beep from the basement makes her snap.

As a bonus for competition electronics, not only did they spend more time answering questions before we actually purchased anything than the companies whose product we owned, they also got back to us quicker, and actually HAD ANSWERS to the questions we asked regarding the manufacturers specs regarding the display used in the timer. Nobody else could do that, even if they had a good attitude and tried.

PACT has simply become near impossible to reach and verges on hostile. The speed timer 3000 guy basically ahs the attitude of "i'm not interested in improving it, if you don't like it don't buy it, I know what problems it has".

• 3 weeks later...

i have a CED7000 that gets used for dryfire at home and personal practice on the range. Par times are easy to set/adjust for dryfire drills and it can be set to random start if you are by urself or instant start if a buddy is running the timer for you. As said, its a pretty small screen, but since im young enough I dont have any troubles with it.

I've got the CED7000 - I like it but if i had to do it over again I think i'd just get the pocket pro 2. I hate having the flip the screen to see what's on it, vs the PP, which shows you the screen while still attached to your pocket.

• 8 months later...

I gotta go with the PACT timers, I have two at the moment, a MK IV and a MK IV XP. For training functions I think it is the best timer on the market.

d it

Pat, I know this is an old post but I am now shopping for a timer and if it (MK IV XP) chronos as well, this might be a good option.

Have you used it as a chrono and does it download the data to your pc as it claims? I would love to find a shot timer that I could download the days

practice strings for study as well. Thanks for any thoughts you might have! Kent

I'll post this yet one more time.

Cliff notes version: pocket pro2.

Expedited version of the various problems with the various timers.

Speed Timer 3000 - With more competition, it's not relaly that cheap anymore. The review process nukes the data after one scroll trhough. In "hot" weather, the screens go black and you can't read them without icing down the timer. "Hot" means a sunny day over about 65 if someone leaves them remotely exposed to sun. If it is over 95, probably happens before the end of a match even if left in the shade. Also doesn't have very good features for practice. Oh, and the pocket clips break off. If not easily, inevitably.

Pact MK IV - pretty awesome. Also not actually made anymore. Biggest problem was not dealing well with being dropped due to their mass, and that the small dot matrix display is a bit of a pain under low light or for people without the best eyesight.

Pact MKIV XP - PIle of suck. IT has a multi-string buffer that as it gets full delays the "instant" beep. Use it at a real match, and halfway through the day, "instant" may mean 12 seconds after you press the button. Pact said this is not possible. I sat down and figured out how to reproduce it as well as how to reset it (which is buried like 6-8 steps deep in the menus). Explained it to PACT. They said that is not possible. Demonstrated it on 12 different units. PACT won't talk to me anymore. We essentially had to throw out $1200 of timers because they were ruining matches bad enough that we couldn't even give them to other match directors (they had suffered through them at said matches).

Pact club timer - UI is the worst UI for ANYTHING I have used in nearly forever. Setting up a par time stage with the manual in front of you is a supremely frustrating experience. In hot weather, not only does the screen go black, but before that it starts randomly failing to record shots. Very bad for a match. It is also just very awkward to hold and use.

CED7000 - nice and compact. The rechargeable battery is a double edge sword. Very nice when you remember to charge it, very painful when you don't. For a match you can get battery packs, but they are awkward at best, mean you have parts you have to not lose, and realistically you ahve to have someone carting them back and forth AND remembering to charge them. The menu system is nearly as complicated as the CED8000 without as much flexibility. In hot weather the display goes clear and you can't see the time without icing it down. Under optimum conditions, the 8 segment numeral are small and a bit of a PITA to read fast. Plus about half the units we have procures have a heavy "oil slick" rainbow effect to them.

CED8000 - Very complicated menus. EXTREMELY flexible as a practice timer, way too complex for a match. Display does pretty well in the heat, and the huge numbers are good for the guys without good eyes. But the hinged design is a mess. The piezo element that makes the beep is right next to the microphone. This means you never really get your draw times in live fire because the first 6-8 entries are the very minute gaps in the beep tone. They are the only stock timer with headphones for dryfire (thats good), the headphones are non-standard, so if you lose them you are SOL (that's bad).

Pocket Pro - dead simple with a well behaved review. But the 8 segment display goes black in hot weather (most outdoor matches) and is hard to read in bad light (most indoor matches). It has basic par time functionality, but you can't set up more complex dryfire par time drills. When it is only about $10 cheaper than the pocket pro2, buying it makes little sense.

Pocket pro 2 - We still haven't abused them in the peak of summer yet, but the screen seems to be pretty immune to blacking out or going clear, and the Benosverse has given feedback to the effect that folks in the gulf states and the desert get through summer without that problem. They have enough features to be good for dry fire practice, and are "turn it on, press a button, read the time" simple for matches. The use 9 volt batteries, so no getting caught flat footed by someone forgetting to recharge them. The display has a bigger number mode for the older guys with bad eyes, and a backlight for indoor matches.

So, my #1 all around recommendation is the pocket pro2. It's what we are gradually migrating to for four distinct matches as our pact MKIV and speed timer 3000s crap out. Between t hose matches, we will essentially be throwing out 14 pact MK IV XP timers, 7 CED 7000 timers, and 8 pact club timers for having unacceptable problems.

My #2 would be a toss up between the CED 7000 and 8000. But purely form a dryfire/practice standpoint. It's really a battle between not buying batteries and a convenient form factor vs. not having your wife stab you in the face after the 8 millionth beep from the basement makes her snap.

As a bonus for competition electronics, not only did they spend more time answering questions before we actually purchased anything than the companies whose product we owned, they also got back to us quicker, and actually HAD ANSWERS to the questions we asked regarding the manufacturers specs regarding the display used in the timer. Nobody else could do that, even if they had a good attitude and tried.

PACT has simply become near impossible to reach and verges on hostile. The speed timer 3000 guy basically ahs the attitude of "i'm not interested in improving it, if you don't like it don't buy it, I know what problems it has".

Thank you for taking the time!!!! Kent