Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locktite use for front sight

Blank Zero

Hello All,

I just bought a Dawson Precision front sight for my glock 17. However, I don't have the locktite they ask for, the only locktite I have is Locktite 222, is this good enough to use for the front sight?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Blank

I use Red lock tite and have no problem changing them and they stay in place. The FO sights are heat sensitive so you May want to use Blue on them. I explain this if the gun owner has FO sights and let him/her decide what is best on their gun.

JB55,

The sight I got is actually Fiber Optic Dawson, so Locktite 222 is not recommended?

Opposite, Red is labeled as requiring heat to remove, so might not be good for FO sights. Blue is for standard use, hand tool removal is acceptable. Purple (222) which is what you have is the PREFERRED for small (under 15mm I think is their number) parts with hand tool removal. 222 is the best bet for front sight posts.

wow cool I learn stuff all the itme on here. I have just been using the blue. Ill have to try purple(222)

222 Purple is recommended by some scope/mount manufacturers as well. I've used Blue with good success, but have been meaning to pick up some Purple. R,

Clear nail polish, never had a problem with anything. Also have some pink on my bolt gun trigger ... never had nail polish work loose and its easy to break loose when needed.

That's good to know if I am in a pinch.

Clear nail polish, never had a problem with anything. Also have some pink on my bolt gun trigger ... never had nail polish work loose and its easy to break loose when needed.

Since this was originally w.r.t. a Glock, which is polymer...

Nail polish is fine for metal, but it will plasticise (not good) polymers weakening them.

Since this was originally w.r.t. a Glock, which is polymer...

Nail polish is fine for metal, but it will plasticise (not good) polymers weakening them.

Not to be arguementative, but isnt loctite used for metal? I havent seen a replacement sight made out of polymer that needed loctite. All my replacement sights have been metal, the slide is metal, and if you wait till the nail polish is dry I dont see where using it for sight install would be a bad thing on a Glock.

Not to be arguementative, but isnt loctite used for metal? I havent seen a replacement sight made out of polymer that needed loctite. All my replacement sights have been metal, the slide is metal, and if you wait till the nail polish is dry I dont see where using it for sight install would be a bad thing on a Glock.

Usually, but some of the versions are acceptable for polymer as well. I totally agree with you on the sights, metal and metal, GTG.

I just don't want someone using nail polish on an overtravel screw or something like that and screwing up their trigger housing or frame.

Don't use Loctite 222. I have used it on an extended mag button on my 2011's to keep them from moving, but when I take the gun all the way down, a simple twist loosens 222. I purchased a set of sights from Dawson for my Glock 34. I used Red (271) Loctite and have never had them come loose. You will have to use heat if you need to break 271 loose.