Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchup Stage Design Tip

Mark R

Hey Folks...Up on the Google Sketchup 3D Warehouse, there is a drawing by a Sketchup user named "Steel". I found it by performing a search for "USPSA Props". Steel has a good drawing, but I took it a step further. I categorized all props and placed them around the shooting bay perimeter and changed the bay floor to a lighter color (for black and white printers).

For those of you who use Sketchup for stage design, download my new version of Steel's props and place it in your Sketchup template folder...usually by default install C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Resources\en-US\Templates

Note that I am using the new version 8, not 7...it may not open in 7.

Once you copy/move the file to the template folder, open the file in sketchup, then save it as a new template, and check the box to make it the default template. Close Sketchup. Now when you want to design a new stage, open sketchup (which opens the shooting bay with props on the perimeter of the bay), drag/move the props you need into location, rotate them as needed, and save the file as a new name sketchup file. To start another stage, just close and re-open sketchup.

It's a real time saver...and it works every time. B) Enjoy!

Dang...just went to upload the template, but it's 9.5 mb. I'll post on 3d Warehouse. Will update this thread when I have key words. Sorry.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang...just went to upload the template, but it's 9.5 mb. I'll post on 3d Warehouse. Will update this thread when I have key words. Sorry.

ok...the template is now on Google 3D Warehouse. Go to the warehouse and search for my username... DVCMarkR

If that don't work try keywords...

TITLE: USPSA Props Template in Shooting Bay

TAGS: USPSA Props Shooting Bay

Username: DVCMarkR

Hope it helps!!!

Here's a picture...Thumbnail.gif

Edited by Mark R

Thanks, Mark. I've been meaning to learn to use sketchup, and you've just simplified the process.

BB

You're welcome Barry.

Forgot one thing in the instructions...after you save the file to a new stage name...you can delete all the remaining props around the perimeter leaving only the stage you just designed. next time you open sketchup...all props will be there since they are in the template. :D

i like that idea. i have a different template and i have been copying pasting from the template into a 2nd sketchup window. this would keep everything on the same screen. :)

And another tip...which you probably already know...hold CTRL key down when moving an object...it will copy it instead of moving. So you can move in a target from the perimeter, CTRL copy it and make multiples of the same prop.

Nice, although why do so many of you place the black "X" on the no shoots and have them so far away from the target they are covering? I always end up removing the "X" and moving the no shoot to the target itself.

I can't take all the credit I got a lot of it from Jim Taylor, also a Enos member. Some of the targets I made, which is why they aren't as good as Jim's. I've since added long guns, a car, bed and a few other things to my prop bay. What I do is open a empty berm template and open my prop bay at the same time. Since I don't move items I cut and paste them, I just copy from the prop bay and paste in the empty bay.

Nice, although why do so many of you place the black "X" on the no shoots and have them so far away from the target they are covering? I always end up removing the "X" and moving the no shoot to the target itself.

Vluc...There is a stand alone no-shoot target on the template that you can move and place on a shoot target.

I can't take all the credit I got a lot of it from Jim Taylor, also a Enos member. Some of the targets I made, which is why they aren't as good as Jim's. I've since added long guns, a car, bed and a few other things to my prop bay. What I do is open a empty berm template and open my prop bay at the same time. Since I don't move items I cut and paste them, I just copy from the prop bay and paste in the empty bay.

Corey...the template contains your car, the long guns, pistols, bed, etc on the template...you just have to scroll around to find them...they are close to the front of the bay.

I used to copy/paste until I made the template. Since I only use Sketchup for designing USPSA stages, I modified your prop file and made it a template...that way anytime I want to design a new stage, all I do is open Sketchup and everything is on the bay ready for use/movement...deleting everything not used. Make's it easier...at least I think so.

Thanks for giving credit to Jim Taylor...I didn't know that...thought you were the author. Thanks Jim.

Edited by Mark R

Vluc...There is a stand alone no-shoot target on the template that you can move and place on a shoot target.

Thanks, I've made my own awhile back. Should upload it to the warehouse where I already have some items.

i've been learning google sketch up for last couple of weeks, it's been slow at work. here's one of the stages we shot at area 2 championship.

Lynn...that looks pretty darn good. You do know that you can export out to 2D which creates a JPG file? By using the File-Export 2D. Not sure how you got to the PDF, but it worked for you...just a little grainy looking. The stage setup looks awesome...good job.

i've been learning google sketch up for last couple of weeks, it's been slow at work. here's one of the stages we shot at area 2 championship.

Lynn...that looks pretty darn good. You do know that you can export out to 2D which creates a JPG file? By using the File-Export 2D. Not sure how you got to the PDF, but it worked for you...just a little grainy looking. The stage setup looks awesome...good job.

thanks mark,

i'm still learning. i'll try the 2d version. well, that was easy.

lynn

post-1268-005250700 1291297855_thumb.png

Edited by lynn jones

and some more. threadkiller was my first try, you can tell it's rough.

lynn

On Area 2_stage9, it looks like the target T4 and popper PP1 on left back area have no where to shoot from. Might move the fault line out a little.

Rest look like pretty fun stages...mind if I use one or two of them?

Edited by Mark R

and some more. threadkiller was my first try, you can tell it's rough.

lynn

On Area 2_stage9, it looks like the target T4 and popper PP1 on left back area have no where to shoot from. Might move the fault line out a little.

Rest look like pretty fun stages...mind if I use one or two of them?

hey thanks,

i have fixed the problem with stage 9. i have uploaded these files to the 3d warehouse, search models by godsmack.

lynn

• 2 months later...

Mark, thanks a million for this template! I'm brand new to Sketchup and have no idea what I'm doing...

Looking forward to figuring this out and designing some stages/drills.

You're welcome...and I would suggest reviewing the Sketchup tutorials up on the Sketchup web site. They will help you on moving, copying, rotating, etc. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, thanks a million for this template! I'm brand new to Sketchup and have no idea what I'm doing...

Looking forward to figuring this out and designing some stages/drills.

You're welcome...and I would suggest reviewing the Sketchup tutorials up on the Sketchup web site. They will help you on moving, copying, rotating, etc. ;)

Thanks Mark, I too was brand new to this and ready to quit. Your tips saved my sanity.

Edited by elkboy