Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40L Pro

Iggy42

So I am looking to make the move to USPSA Limited this winter and I am looking at a couple different guns, one of which is an M&P40 Pro with the 5" barrel (I think that is the "long" model) so I was wondering is anyone is doing an out of the box limited version (like Canyon Creek is with the XD's) and if anyone is selling ready to go 140mm mags. I saw that Speed Shooters has the base pads, but I was not seeing full mags or complete guns anywhere.

Also has the 40 Pro made the Limited approval list yet? I just checked the production list and its not on it yet, but the number produced is a lot higher for Production v Limited.

Mu current front runner so to speak is an EAA Witness Elite Limited because of the all steel frame, and its not used by many (I like being the odd ball, what can I say) but if I can get something that is made in the USA I would be a lot happier to a point.

Not sure when the .40 Pro will be on the list...should be soon. As for mags... just get the pads and go with that.

You could always get the 9 Pro, base pads (23-24 rounds) and shoot minor.... that's a lot of bullets.

Peace

Yes it is, but I don't want to give up the Major points. When I get a production gun I defiantly would go with the 9 Pro since it wouldn't matter, but for Limited I want Major.

Yes the .40 pro is available, and for the record, there is no "limited approval list." Once 500 are made, it's automatically approved.

Once it's on the production list, it is also automatically approved.

I have seen the .40 Pro shooting limited already at matches.

I ordered mine from buds $564.00 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61703 hope to get it next week!! Then my wife shows me an add at vance outdoors http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/category.cfm/sale/y $549.99 for a 9mm pro or 40 s&w pro both are 5in. Looks like they are getting more out so wont be long to certify for production!

Mu current front runner so to speak is an EAA Witness Elite Limited because of the all steel frame, and its not used by many (I like being the odd ball, what can I say) but if I can get something that is made in the USA I would be a lot happier to a point.

I've seen 3 Tanfoglios being used in competition. I've also seen 3 Tanfoglios being used in competition having reliability problems of some kind. I wanted to get a Tanfoglio too, until that.

YMMV of course, I'm sure Eric Grauffel wouldn't be winning so much in Europe with a gun that didn't work 100%.

I've seen 3 Tanfoglios being used in competition. I've also seen 3 Tanfoglios being used in competition having reliability problems of some kind. I wanted to get a Tanfoglio too, until that.

YMMV of course, I'm sure Eric Grauffel wouldn't be winning so much in Europe with a gun that didn't work 100%.

Most of the issues I have heard with EAA is really mag issues. The mags are terrible, but from what I have been able to gather Henning sells some nice tuned mags that are supposed to work really well

So no one building Limited Ready M&P's yet

I already have my 40 pro 5" but my question was does anyone KNOW if s&w has made 500 yet? I'm not trying to be rude but please don't guess I can do that.

Logic would dictate that yes, since there are many for sale already.........but the easiest way to call S&W, they are usually good about customer service.

Yes the M&P is available. It is a very nice gun. However, do shop around for the right price as S&W suggests MSRP at 850$.

You can find for $600 if your patient.

I have shot mine in about 5 production matches this year. I like it but have found that tuning it makes it better. It is damn good from the box, but if your going to shoot limited this is my first suggestion.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html

Apex Tactical Specialties is proud to introduce it's new *Competition Action Enhancement Kit.

Designed for the action shooting sports competitor, our drop in kit will yield a consistent sub 3 lb trigger pull. Whether the game is IDPA,USPSA or Steel Challenge our Comp-AEK will withstand the rigors of high speed competition.

The kit contains:

•Apex Hard Sear

•Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit

•Apex Competition striker spring

•Apex Competition sear spring (Two sear springs of different sizes are included with kit)

•Apex Competition trigger return spring

•Apex Aluminum Slave pin for installing the Trigger Return Spring

Our competition striker spring and trigger return spring are shot peened to extend service life.

post-24459-050356800 1292062278_thumb.jp

I got mine back from Dan Burwell and the work he did was awesome, the trigger feels great. I'm going to shoot this in production for a while. I hope it is just a matter of time before USPSA updates the approved list.

Edited by ncboiler

Mine will be back from Accurate Iron tomorrow. I will post some pictures. Mike does awesome work on M&P's.

Mike

What are you having done?

He is taking some weight out of the slide. Cleaning up the trigger. Stippling the grip. Undercut the trigger guard. Added magwell. Other than that, not sure what else he does to the inside. I will post pictures as soon as I get it..

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine back from Dan Burwell and the work he did was awesome, the trigger feels great. I'm going to shoot this in production for a while. I hope it is just a matter of time before USPSA updates the approved list.

It is and has been approved! I have been shooting mine since October.

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

S&W

M&P Pro series 5" 9mm (29.2 oz.),Sigma models Compact SW9V (26 oz.), SW40C (26 oz.), SW40F (26 oz.), SW40V (24.4 oz.), SW40VE (24.4 oz.), SW99 9 & 45 (25.4 oz.), SW9C (25 oz.), SW9F (26 oz.), SW9M (18 oz.), SW9VE (24.7 oz.)

(Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved)

It's not on any list as of a week or so ago, and I've been shooting mine since I received it in late May of this year. It is my favorite handgun, by far, fitted with serrated black sights front and rear from Bowie Tactical:

BowieTactical.jpg

Right now the sear block assembly is at Apex getting a bigger sear spring, since the gun has started suffering the so-called 'dead trigger' symptom (as has my MP45c).

With the 'Medium' grip insert, I think it is the best-feeling best-fitting handgun I've ever had. To add to the pleasure, for a cheap plastic gun, I think it's the best-looking handgun available. That's totally subjective, obviously--but from an overall balance of grip angle, trigger guard contour, bore-axis height and so on, I've found nothing I like better.

The trigger was god-awful when I first got it, but I screwed around with it and with the sear, and it's just fine (for me). It's an absolute pleasure to shoot, and so far I've pumped about 8 to 10,000 rounds of lead bulleted sub-major to major rounds through her with no complaints other than the 'dead trigger' symptom, which I pray Apex will cure.

With TF mag extensions we see an even 20 rds in the magazine, and after scrapping the stock sights for black and more open ones, I'm quite happy for a relatively cheap gun. As for accuracy, it's as accurate for me as anything I've fired--I think it's very good to excellent.

Edited by Bongo Boy

It's hard not to 'share' opinions on this M&P series, and especially the Pro sub-line.

First, I don't think any gone from Smith & Wesson, and certainly none out of their Pro shop, should sound like a creaky old wooden screen door on a backwoods log cabin. Second, trigger take-up shouldn't be a longer drive than the one from your house to the nearest Mickey-Dee's.

On all models, but especially the Pro line, I feel that the extra 2 minutes of bench work should be taken to the front of the trigger to take out the parting line and put a polish on the trigger face. I don't mind doing it, but it would have been a reasonable added touch that would at least add some comfort to a trigger more becoming of a Walmart kid's toy than a firearm.

The final recommendation would be to 'do something' about what the slide rides on. Surfaces that don't eat themselves alive and show significant wear after 10,000 rds would be just good engineering. They are basically surfaces that are not ever going to take to good lubrication, being tiny to the task. Asking the slide to 'slide' on just about nothing is asking a lot.