Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses (very mild Rx)

walsh

I just went from 20/400 vision to 20/13 in my left dominant eye (RH shooter) and 20/25 in my right eye by having mild cataracts removed and Inter Ocular Toric Lenses with the prescription replacing the eye's natural lens. I shoot with my right eye closed with a handgun. Mt scope shooting of a rifle is visually great with cross-hairs and target at 10x. I'm told the right eye should get better in a month or so, but I can see where computer use for a few hours degrades vision and it was explained to me that I really need progressive reading glasses to look at the keyboard (14" away) and a 28" monitor (30" away) as they have different focal points and over the counter glasses will strain my eyes as well as, right now, their being different values.

I can now see with my left eye, 9mm bullet holes in a paper plate at 25 yds, which is amazing to me. But the sights are not clear. Trying 1.00 reading glasses makes the sights crystal clear, but the target at 25 yds is clearly out of focus. I was able to put 7 of 10 rds in the 6" plate at 25 yds and with my HK P2000 SK, which is not my most accurate gun, using a Big Dot front sight and no glasses.

I'm 56 years old and was wondering if anyone has gotten shooting glasses down to .50 correction, or even a tad lower to see clearer sights and not lost the target clarity needed, or if this is the trade-off I made for wearing no glasses? I'm not a bullseye shooter, but was contemplating that and I know that if this can be improved it will have to be in order to be competitive.

Thanks,

Walsh

EDIT: Is a partial solution to this a thin blade front sight? I have a Marvel .22 conversion kit for my .45 and that thin blade is much easier to see than the standard 3 tritium dots.

Edited by walsh

I turn 51 this week and I am struggling with focusing on the front sight. I am going to go with a monovision setup in my glasses. This won't work for you since you said you close your non dominant eye. I am right eye dominant and I popped the left lens out of a pair of reading glasses to experiment with. Using both eyes I am able to focus on the sights as well as the targets. It has been a long time since I could see the sights so clearly.

Sarge, if you can, use contact lenses and play with the power. You will have have minimum image size changes that can happen with trying monovision with glasses.

Walsh, congrats on the successful surgery. Cross dominance can be difficult, although monovision contacts are a good answer as well. You mentioned glasses so,IMHO, a pair of bifocal shooting glasses with the bifocal placed on the top of your left lens are great. They are called double D bifocals. You just slightly shift your head up and down to change focus from the sight to the target. They have to be set for the right strength. Ask your Dr to help. Best if you can bring your weapon to the office for the measurement. Luck. :cheers:

I'm 56 years old and was wondering if anyone has gotten shooting glasses down to .50 correction, or even a tad lower to see clearer sights and not lost the target clarity needed, or if this is the trade-off I made for wearing no glasses? I'm not a bullseye shooter, but was contemplating that and I know that if this can be improved it will have to be in order to be competitive.

Thanks,

Walsh

EDIT: Is a partial solution to this a thin blade front sight? I have a Marvel .22 conversion kit for my .45 and that thin blade is much easier to see than the standard 3 tritium dots.

Script glasses can be ground to any requirement. 1/2 diopter less then standard distance script is usually the standard but veries a little accroding to shooter preferance.

MDA

Thanks for all the replies.

There is a surgeon in the group that did my eyes who is a member of our club, so he is likely the best that I have to talk to.

However, this is a link I came across for a doctor in LA (a coast away) who was on the Navy shooting team. I tend to doubt the doctor I will see is this detailed. But some looking at this thread might one day come across this topic and be in the area, or compete at a level willing to travel to see Dr Norman Wong.

Dr Norman Wong - shooting glasses in detail

When I started shooting I had trouble with the front sight. My doctor had me bring my gun into the exam room, and we had the door open so I could aim out the window. He played around with different lenses untill we came up with a set that would work. I see the

sight very well but out at 15yd + I have a hard time seeing the holes. But if you can call your shots you don't need to see the holes. HA! Anyway the new glasses work great for me. Also have a bifocal in the bottom.

• 7 months later...

I just ordered these: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/magnifying-safety-glasses-magnifying-safety-glass.html

They are whole lens magnifiers.

I just started wearing glasses and mostly need them for close focus.

I tested out with drugstore reading glasses +1.25

sights nice and sharp and targets still look fine.

$15 worth a try.

My wife will kick me out of the house if I get $600 shooting glasses :)

I tried someone ESS Crossover shooting glasses with the prescription insert that was pretty close to mine and they were outstanding. The not yet cut inserts arrived with the sunglasses and clear glasses on Friday. The eye exam is $54 and the optician will be a retired Marine who has been to Camp Perry so he kniws just what I need. It will be about 3 weeks before I get them back between my getting a late day appointment and the lenses cut. I paid $218 so far. I do not yet know what the cost of the upper bifocal glasses will cost, but it's pay the price or continue to shoot with blurred sights. When done i'll post what everything cost.

Thanks for the replies,

Walsh

I have a couple pair of full eye safety glasses like you mention that I use for shop and reloading work, but I wouldn't care to use them for shooting. They tend to scratch up too easily and are difficult to fit comfortably. Still, for the price, you can wear a pair of regular shooting glasses until you go to the line, then put those on (but use an eyeglass retainer just in case). It'll do you OK for a while until you can find a better solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto on Chris at Safevision.com Im shooting much better now that I can see my front site again. Strange how important seing is to shooting well.

Yes now that I can see the sights I will have to work on my shooting ability as I dont have the vision excuse anymore :unsure: