Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Day Of Dryfire

JimmyZip

I have been dryfiring a lot for the past six months. Here in the desert we are in the end of the first part of our season. This morning I did my regular routine and then dryfire. I just felt out of sorts. Awkward. I don't really get this very often, but when I am consistently practicing for a few months ever day, it'll creep up and spoil a session.

IF you have this occasional affliction, what do you do to cure it, or is there a cure?

JZ

I dry fire on a regular basis. Every now and then I have a day when everything goes wrong and I can't get into it. It happens. We are not at our best every day. I find that changing my drills up helps to keep those bad days away.

Edited by AWLAZS

Same thing happens in live fire too right? Even professionals make mistakes and "forget" how to do things they've trained thousands of times. Sometimes it's the simple things too... like why do I sometimes get a bad grip on my draw or after reloads that I've practiced over and over again? I wish there was an answer....

JZ, it's always disturbing to have a crappy session make you feel like you're losing ground. However, perhaps it's the way this session is interpreted and the changes that are made and implemented will turn this mornings practice into something positive. How would any of the following work for you?

1. Change the time of day that you dryfire (morning, afternoon, night)

2. Change your dryfire routine (different drills, positions, senarios, etc)

3. Shoot matches as often as your schedule and budget allows (that is, if your not getting out very often)

4. Take some time off

You may have already thought of, or be incorporating some of these but they have helped me get through times similar to what you described. Keep the faith and best wishes.

RH

Go do something else, no point of practicing if your not into it.

I mostly practice things you don't get a lot of experience, SHO/WHO draws, picking up gun from table or unloaded starts. Instead of just going through the motions, put your attention in other places and see what you feel or where it takes you.

No such thing as a bad day. Some are just better than others. When do I feel I'm not up to par I put quickly put it behind me. Put my stuff away and cut the grass, split fire wood or some other task. The important thing, for me, is not to dwell on it.

Dave

Exactly Dave. I took a class with Manny Bragg. He starts his live fire practices with an accuracy drill. If he can't achieve the goals with the accuracy drill he said he'll call it quits. I think Saul Kirsch mentioned similar. No matter what you do, it's something that happens to everyone... can't let it get to you.

I dry fire on a regular basis. Every now and then I have a day when everything goes wrong and I can't get into it. It happens. We are not at our best every day. I find that changing my drills up helps to keep those bad days away.

+1 to that.

be

Sometimes it helps to through in a DVD and watch the best shooters in the world do their thing. This can help inspire you and change your perspective. If you know you can occassionally duplicate some of the skills they do regularly...it can give you very positive feedback and breathe new life into you. You may also see something you did not see before and then incorporate that skill set into your routine. Maybe you will like it and progress in that way. Just a thought....I know I am always inspired by the best and try to learn from the best in the world....as well as from those who are learning. Its amazing how much you can learn from a new shooter...but thats another story. Best of luck...G

If by chance you are a world class shooter already...please forgive my post.