Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job for a S&W 627

gng4life

Hello everyone,

I hate to ask this question and I don't want to start any hate and discontent. I just picked up a 627 and I want to get a competition trigger job for USPSA and Steel Challenge. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either Carmoney or Apex but I can't decide.

I would like to hear from everyone who has a job from either or both. Please tell me specifics about trigger weight, smoothness, turn-around time, light strikes, etc.

Thanks for any input and suggestions...

gng4life, The question had be posed before. How fast do you want it? Both are fine Smiths I have pulled the trigger on a number of Carmoney's jobs and I have a Randy Lee trigger job on mine. Both are comparable (so I cain't spell). Carmoney can get it done quicker. Up to you. I tried to do a search to find the discussion but had 31 pages to go through. Later rdd

Edited by Bubber

Hello everyone,

I hate to ask this question and I don't want to start any hate and discontent. I just picked up a 627 and I want to get a competition trigger job for USPSA and Steel Challenge. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either Carmoney or Apex but I can't decide.

I would like to hear from everyone who has a job from either or both. Please tell me specifics about trigger weight, smoothness, turn-around time, light strikes, etc.

You will get a gun that is most probably far beyond your capabilities from either. I have 2 Randy guns and his service and follow through is impeccable. I've shot with Mr. Carmoney and would send him a gun tomorrow and know it would be done right.

You might consider carefully what you want done. Both of these guys will do what you tell them to do.

Specifically, have you shot an extremely lightened action? Live fire? There is a difference in feel. The return of the trigger is different and takes getting used to.

Before you decide on the extremely lightened action look at yourself as a reloader. Will you give the ammunition the attention it will require?

Both of these guys will do more than just change/bend springs and smooth parts. You won't lose with either

gng4life, The question had be posed before. How fast do you want it? Both are fine Smiths I have pulled the trigger on a number of Carmoney's jobs and I have a Randy Lee trigger job on mine. Both are comparable (so I cain't spell). Carmoney can get it done quicker. Up to you. I tried to do a search to find the discussion but had 31 pages to go through. Later rdd

If you can point me to a specific post, please post the link. I did an Advanced Search and looked for "Apex" and "Carmoney" or "Carmonize" and I only found two posts with both of those words in them. I'm not the best at searching but I thought I had this thing figured out...Help please...

Hello everyone,

You will get a gun that is most probably far beyond your capabilities from either. I have 2 Randy guns and his service and follow through is impeccable. I've shot with Mr. Carmoney and would send him a gun tomorrow and know it would be done right.

You might consider carefully what you want done. Both of these guys will do what you tell them to do.

Specifically, have you shot an extremely lightened action? Live fire? There is a difference in feel. The return of the trigger is different and takes getting used to.

Before you decide on the extremely lightened action look at yourself as a reloader. Will you give the ammunition the attention it will require?

Both of these guys will do more than just change/bend springs and smooth parts. You won't lose with either

I used to shoot a lot of PPC and I have several Clark customs so yeah, I am pretty familiar with the trigger, feel, return, etc., of custom trigger jobs. I have been reloading for 19 years so yeah, I think I'm okay in that area also.

I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions - I'm sure both are excellent but I just want to get a consensus of what is happening with most shooters.

Thanks for the input...

Randy has made 5 of my revolvers and I've been happy with each one. They all worked fantastically. My last 627 I bought used from this forum and it was Carmonized. Never felt anything as smooth and light.

Both guys do a lot of work that has to go into a real good trigger job. Much more than people know.

For years I've used a couple of local gunsmiths. Frank Glenn built a few pistold for me years ago. I could always rely on a 7 lb trigger that was smooth as glass. Timing would be perfect and the guns were accurate.

Nelson Ford of Scottsdale also does excellent work. He has worked on m guns for over 30 years and never dissapoints me but will not do lower than a 7 lb trigger pull.

Seven lbs is great for 99 % of the shooters out there. Not everyone has the trigger ontrol to use a sub 5 lb trigger. It's harder to maintain a straight through pull it's difficult to remember to let the trigger come all the way forward. I've seen many shooters trying to shoot very slick actions and they just have problems.

Make sure you try either a Carmonized or an Apex action job and shoot it FAST to see how you do with it. Then it's a toss up.

Mike will get it back to you faster But I'd have to flip a coin to choose between the two.

I have triggers done by Apex and by Carmoney. The trigger work by Carmonney is every bit as good as the Apex trigger. I have had 4 other S&W reveolevrs done since these two and I have sent them all to Mike Carmoney. Nothing against Randy but the turnaround time is in my opinion is way to long. Quality of work being equal I send mine where I can get them back in a very short time.

I have purchased parts from Apex and the response was great. I had Mike Carmoney do the work on a 627X8 and it is really good. The turn-around time was very fast, less than two weeks and it was as I expected from reading others responses on the forum. I'm certain Randy Lee's work in good but I'll stick with Mike for now because of the quality of the work and the quick turn-around time.

Thanks for all the input guys...

I kind of figured it would turn out this way but I was surprised about the Apex turn-around time. I'm sure they are busy and good, I also swear by their S&W M&P parts - I installed the Comp AEK and FRE, they are phenomenal! However, I'm an impatient guy so it looks like Carmoney will be getting a 627 in his mailbox soon...Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Just got my 627PC back from Mike. Another wonderchild is born. Mike is truely professional.

PS. you're going to regret this action job after Big Dawgs ha ha.

Jess Christensen

Sweet, I'm gonna break out the 627 for the Big Dawg too. Hopefully we can get a bunch of revo shooters this year.

You shooting stock or open revo?

I'll shoot stock revolver and pistol again. I'm going to compete in the shoot-off with my 627 also, like I have done since my first BD match in 2006. It was a close call last year, but open revo was 3-4 sec. behind me. A lot can happen out of 15 stages shot 4 times each for a total count of 60 strings.

See you...bring more revo guys.