Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something from three gun that helped me with a real life problem

Alaskapopo

Here in Alaska it gets cold. One issue we have is when you are posted on a perimeter on a gun call and then later have to make entry into the residence your optics will fog and fog fast. In three gun I have seen shooters with off set irons and I thought this would be just the ticket to deal with the optics fogging issue vs having to take your optics off the gun or having to point shoot. So I tried it out on my patrol rifle and it works fairly well. I got some Daniel Defense 1 oclock mounts and put my BUIS sights on them and sighted them in and worked with them a bit. Its not too difficult to use them and they are there in an instant. So when the optic fogs you can go to irons with a tilt of the gun. Here are some pics.

N4sideironssetup.jpg

SideIrons.jpg

Thanks for the idea guys.

Pat

Have you or anyone tried products that are supposed to prevent fogging of lenses ?

I recently got a product called "Cat Crap" that is sold mainly for use on ski goggles but it can be used on glasses and optics.

I used it on my shooting glasses last week in a match and it worked great -- the weather was the type that would often cause my glasses to fog while shooting.

Have you or anyone tried products that are supposed to prevent fogging of lenses ?

I recently got a product called "Cat Crap" that is sold mainly for use on ski goggles but it can be used on glasses and optics.

I used it on my shooting glasses last week in a match and it worked great -- the weather was the type that would often cause my glasses to fog while shooting.

Thanks I will try it.

pat

Does anyone else see the irony in a rifle wearing a $2500 optic and back-up irons? :ph34r:

I understand the problem though, I do use optics for hunting.

Murphy is always alive and well and he has a sick sense of humor. :surprise:

Back up irons for a high dollar scope is no different then having a $400 Glock as a back up to a high dollar M4 or M1A.

latewatch wrote:

Back up irons for a high dollar scope is no different then having a $400 Glock as a back up to a high dollar M4 or M1A.

I think if you are LE, then the price for a Glock is actually a lot closer to $250, new, in the box.

We have the same issues here in Minnesota with optics fogging up in the winter months. Our SWAT M-4 are limited by policy to either having just iron sights, or with an EoTech or Aimpoint with back up iron sights that are co-witness. The problem with this is that if your lenses are fogged up, the iron sights also becomes useless.

What we do is periodically wipe the lenses with an anti-fog agent, and definitely each time during SWAT deployments. I use Defog-It made by Claritin and it works well. Not to expensive but not cheap either. But since its me going through that door, the price is definitely worth it.

Be safe up there brother.

latewatch wrote:

I think if you are LE, then the price for a Glock is actually a lot closer to $250, new, in the box.

$250 :surprise:

You obviously have not bought a Glock for a department lately.

Funny he just posted this. I just put these on my new DPMS MK12 308. Had issues seeing the front post through the scope, so I thought I would try them. I put Magpul's MBUS sight set to run. The setup works perfect. I went with the MBUS because they are smoother then metal sights.

latewatch wrote:

Not quite that cheap. FET Exempt price is $357 for fixed sights and $409 with Glock night sights on standard frame guns. Still a fine deal for a fantastic blaster.

latewatch wrote:

Not quite that cheap. FET Exempt price is $357 for fixed sights and $409 with Glock night sights on standard frame guns. Still a fine deal for a fantastic blaster.

Bingo....$409.00 with GNS has been department price for the last few years.

latewatch wrote:

Leo price on Glocks for an individual officer is approximately $450 sans night sights for the basic models (9mm, 40, 357 sig) add about $100 for the 10mm and 45's. And add 50 for the night sights.

Pat

huh?

I am probably jumbling my numbers then.

we shoot steel and USPSA matches with a guy who has an FFL, and this was a year or two back that he told me LE pricing or maybe it was department pricing was $250.

he also went on to say that M16's or M4's with the giggle switch cost the departments $700 each.

so...hmmmn....I dunno.

I also heard from someone inside the industry that it only costs $65 to make a Glock.

maybe I shouldn't believe everything I hear, eh?

or at least not pass it along.... :goof:

Alaskapopo,

How does this set up work at longer distaces? Seems as though it is not on line with the bore? I am sure it works at shorter distances. Just wondering as I plan on running a similar set up.

Thanks

I have it sighted in at 50 yards. I have not shot out past that yet. I will let you know when I get a chance to experiment with it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Pat

Alaskapopo,

How does this set up work at longer distaces? Seems as though it is not on line with the bore? I am sure it works at shorter distances. Just wondering as I plan on running a similar set up.

Thanks

I have it sighted in at 50 yards. I have not shot out past that yet. I will let you know when I get a chance to experiment with it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Pat

Thanks. I look forward to your post.