Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4, Glock, Model 17's

Street Survival

As far as the external dimensions of the slide go, the two Gens are interchangeable.

Except for the front end. The cut out for the Gen 4 recoil spring is substantially larger. The corresponding area of the dustcover was also enlarged on the Gen 4 frame. You can swap a Gen 3 slide to a Gen 4 frame, but not a Gen 4 slide to a Gen 3 frame. I actually considered doing this so I could run the Gen 4 slide with dual recoil spring on my RTF frame. No go unless I break out the Dremel. Externally as far as holsters go, they are the same. However they are not completely interchangable between Gens.

As far as the internal parts the locking block on both guns is the same so barrels etc should interchange. Has anyone compared the recoil spring cut on a Gen 4 to the recoil spring cut on the Gen 3? I'm talking on the lug on the bottom of the barrel. I don't have a Gen 4 handy and I'm wondering if that interface might be a bit different. Thats the only hang up I could see.

I was referring to the overall contours of the slide and dust cover. In my experience the Gen-4 G17/22 will fit in a closely molded kydex holster for a Gen-3. Though in another thread recently someone mentioned they'd had problems with a Gen-4 G35 not fitting in a holster for a Gen-3. I wonder how the G34/35 might differ from the G17/22 in this regard, i.e. overall external dimensions of the gun versus Gen-3.

The guide rod channel on the gen4 G35/G34 is wider because it needs to accommodate the wider RSA on the proximal end. This is a change in external dimensions that could affect holster fit if the holster has any material near that guide rod channel.

I just measured a G4 G17 and two G3 and the G4 width on the end below the front sight was .020 smaller and the height was .004 less so the G4 should fit in the G3 holster. I know the G4 fits in all the G3 holsters I own.

Yes,

I posted the pictures about the G35 Gen 3 and G35 Gen 4 finally.

I have two Gen4s, a G22 and a G35. They have not had a malfunction for me. One of my co-workers had a failure to feed in the G22 with factory ammo but I am convinced it was user error. He is an H&K and class three guy who normally laughs at my Glocks, until he went out and bought a G20 SF? Go figure.

My Gen4 G22 works with all of my Gen 3 G17/G22 holsters.

For me, I have had no malfunctions in either the G22 or G35 both with minor and major reloads and major factory FMJs and major factory self defense rounds of Federal 180 gr HSTs.

My minor rounds always functioned but sometimes the ejected brass would land on the slide. Made me laugh during a steel plate match.

My minor round was 3.0 gr Clays with Rainier 180 gr loaded to COL of about 1.125-1.130

I just upped it to 3.2 gr Clays with same and it still is very soft but actually tosses the brass a little further.

I have about 300 minor and 700 major and 100+ HST through the G22. Not huge numbers, but I was surprised to have the minor loads work flawlessly.

I have about 300 minor and 1000 major through the G35 with no failures of any type.

I have no exposure to the 9mm Gen4s.

Later, Lumpy.

I just got my Gen 4 17 a few weeks ago. I love the ability to have a full sized grip as I have big hands. I had a gen 1 with a Vanek, extended slide release, extended mag release.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the black plastic mechanism that all the trigger parts connect to was different. I ended up taking just the trigger/bar and connector off from my gen 1 and traded with the gen 4 stock parts. After swapping out the striker and spring, it feels almost as good as the gen 1 did with the generation specific Vanek trigger group. The only difference is I can't adjust take up or whatever was adjustable on the Gen 4 because that black plastic mechanism that contains the connector/spring/etc doesn't have the adjustable set screw. I also had to grind down a spot on the extended slide release to make it fit around the extra pin. I was not able to switch out the mag release.

After swapping out the sights, I took it to the range and it shot fine. My handloads barely make it out, but it's enough that I don't have to buy a new recoil spring. At my first match with it, it worked great. I'm pleased and probably won't buy a gen 4 specific trigger kit.

However, I am disappointed that a factory extended mag release is not available to use in Production class. If an extended mag release were to become available (or if anyone knows where they are for sale), it would be the first thing I'd change out. Same goes for the ability to install a grip plug....but I don't have much trouble feeding it mags. It would be nice to find a well for when/if I want to soup it up for Limited.

However, I am disappointed that a factory extended mag release is not available to use in Production class.

Why the perceived need for an extended button? The stock Gen-4 button is hugely, um, huger than the old Gen-3 button. Glock claims 3x larger, and, looking at it, I believe it. I don't see how an extended button would be necessary. (?)

However, I am disappointed that a factory extended mag release is not available to use in Production class.

Why the perceived need for an extended button? The stock Gen-4 button is hugely, um, huger than the old Gen-3 button. Glock claims 3x larger, and, looking at it, I believe it. I don't see how an extended button would be necessary. (?)

There is larger surface area, but having it stick out just a little more would be nice. The extended one on my GEN 1 was awesome and easy to find. This one I feel like I have to make more effort to get the mag to drop. Finding it isn't that bad, but getting my thumb to press it correctly and efficiently is not as easy as it was with the old one.

• 6 months later...

I've been seeing more and more Gen 4's locally. I broke down and bought one on the 4th of July. I've got the trusty Sevigny sights on it and I've got a Jager guide rod on the way for my reloads. I'm going to shoot the gun in a uspsa match tomorrow with the stock rod. I can't wait!

So far, I'm really impressed with the gun. The new mag release is nice, the grip is amazing and the size of the Glock 17 seems like a much better fit for me vs. my 34. That thing comes out of the holster so stinkin' fast!

I did my typical trigger work on the gun. Usually I can get the trigger on Gen 3's in the 2-2.5 lbs range. this thing is right around 3 lbs. I've heard the Gen 4 triggers are just slightly heavier than the Gen 3's and from what I can tell, that seems to be the case. The trigger is still very nice though. It's really not that big of a deal.

The other thing I discovered as well is that a Gen3 grip plug easily fits in the Gen4 with just a little trimming with a dremel. Just an FYI.

Glock 17 gen 4 early model has problem with 01 spring. Glock changed the spring to 02 last year and no problem thereafter. I have classic vanek trigger and Jager lightened striker for almost a year now without any failure. Use it for regular IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun and no failure whatsoever.

• 1 month later...

This past weekend, I ran my new Gen4 17 in a local match. It did NOT have the 02 spring. I used WWB and some S&B, ~200rds and had no issues to speak of. There were a few strong hand only shots, and some muddy magazines, but it ran fine. I ran some of the S&B over the chrono after the match, and there were either 138PF or 129PF (can't remember whether they were 115s or 124s, but they ran at ~1120 FPS. I'll check the box when I get home)

I was worried about not having an 02 recoil assembly, but it turned out OK.

ETA: they were 115s. 129PF.

Edited by Racer377

I have a PPR series Gen 4 G17 I picked up around the 4th of July.

The first 900 rounds in stock form I shot through I had 12 FTEs, mostly classic stovepipes, running 124 grain MG at and average of 1,080 fps +/- 15 fps. I have an "2 1 0" recoil spring and non-counterbored slide.

I was extremely displeased after that initial performance, so I searched for aftermarket solutions as Glock wanted 6-8 weeks to get my gun turned around.

I purchased a White Sound Defense HRED and Lone Wolf Distributors extractor and LWD SS guide rod (+ Gen4 adaptor) and 13 lb. ISMI spring, installed them, and ran 2,000 rounds without cleaning or additional lubrication.

I had two FTEs during those 2,000 rounds. The first was strange. The gun chambered a loaded round, but also managed to get a horizonal FTE. Weird. The second was a classic stovepipe.

I'm going to try an "old style" non-LCI glock extractor and see if I can get through the next 2K without a stoppage. I've also bumped up my loads slightly to an 1,100 fps average.

In spite of the problems I've had, I really like this gun. If only it was 100% reliable, and in my dreams Glock would make a right side slide stop/release, I'd convert all of my guns over to Glocks.