Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for glue-on grit ?

StealthyBlagga

I used this epoxy from McMaster Carr. Others may have better recommendations, but this worked for me. (You have to have an applicator to use it.)

Part # 66215A24

Devcon Dev-pak Adhesive Cartridge, 2-ton Clear Epoxy, 1.7 Ounce (50 Ml) Size

I used this epoxy from McMaster Carr. Others may have better recommendations, but this worked for me. (You have to have an applicator to use it.)

Part # 66215A24

Devcon Dev-pak Adhesive Cartridge, 2-ton Clear Epoxy, 1.7 Ounce (50 Ml) Size

It looks like it added thickness your STI? did it or am I just seeing things? I like this method more than texturing it by melting it with an iron. thanks

I've been doing epoxy/grit SV/STI grips for the last 4-5 years and the epoxy I've settled on is very durable. My original grip had three years of hard use before I retired the gun and the grip is like new. When it gets dirty, hot water, purple cleaner and a tooth brush will restore it to new condition. Keep looking around and you will find an epoxy that is strong and won't chip or flake off. To avoid adding extra thickness, remove enough grip material and build it back up with epoxy/grit. A finished grip can actually be smaller than factory original and much stronger.

Eddie

I've been doing epoxy/grit SV/STI grips for the last 4-5 years and the epoxy I've settled on is very durable. My original grip had three years of hard use before I retired the gun and the grip is like new. When it gets dirty, hot water, purple cleaner and a tooth brush will restore it to new condition. Keep looking around and you will find an epoxy that is strong and won't chip or flake off. To avoid adding extra thickness, remove enough grip material and build it back up with epoxy/grit. A finished grip can actually be smaller than factory original and much stronger.

Eddie

Come on now, you can share the name of the epoxy. :cheers:

Anyone got a source for a smaller amount than 10 lbs?

I'll sell it by the pound. I still have 10 or so pounds in my garage. Shipping is the killer. Even with the USPS flat rate shipping boxes, shipping is more than I charge for the sand ($1 / lb. with discounts for more than 1 lb at a time.)

• 8 months later...

Anyone used textured paint? I've used textured spray paint on my mag base pads just to add a little bit more grip. It's easy to apply but also slightly less permanent than the epoxy route. I'd rather not "test" my skills by epoxying onto my grip.

Anyone used textured paint? I've used textured spray paint on my mag base pads just to add a little bit more grip. It's easy to apply but also slightly less permanent than the epoxy route. I'd rather not "test" my skills by epoxying onto my grip.

I used Krylon textured paint on the wood stock and forearm of a Remington 1100 I have set up for 3 gun and really like it. It isn't as aggressive is the glue on grit though.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of replies here but...... I use "Marine-tex" its structural marine epoxy available at most marine retailers (West Marine). I also use the black pigment they sell in the same isle. You can get Silicone Carbide for the grit from people that sell rock tumbling supplies. (it is what 3m uses in their grip tape and sandpapers) I got mine from this guy: http://therockshed.com/grit.html He actually refunded me shipping because it was cheaper than his minimum shipping charge.