Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Rule?

kmca

This is about a steel challenge match this weekend.

Here's the story:

At "make ready", gun in hand, I dropped a magazine, bent over and picked it up and continued with make ready. The gun was pointed down range and no sweeping of body parts was done. Two other very experienced challenge shooters said picking up a dropped magazine is a DQ. As a new certified USPSA RO, I couldn't remember anything about that in the rule book. One shooter showed me the steel challenge handbook and it says USPSA rules apply. The only thing I can find about dropped magazines is 5.5.2 and that refers to after the start. Was that an "old" steel challenge rule?

Apology and refund of his match fee.

Opps...let me clear this up...we had a discussion about the DQ and since we couldn't reach a consensus and I couldn't find anything in the rule book, I continued on with the match. I'm just trying to clarify my thoughts. Nobody was rude or even harsh, it's a small club with some of the friendliest people I know.

Thanks.

I vaguely remember shooting some steel matches -- not steel challenge -- where all mags started either on the belt or on the table. At least one of those had a rule against picking up dropped magazines -- in large part because the match attracted shooters of diverse experience levels....

I vaguely remember shooting some steel matches -- not steel challenge -- where all mags started either on the belt or on the table. At least one of those had a rule against picking up dropped magazines -- in large part because the match attracted shooters of diverse experience levels....

That may be so, but I just want to be clear that it's not in Steel Challenge.

JT

JT

Is that better? :P :P

As far as I've read in the rule books, anything but a dropped gun after "make ready" is ok as long as you maintain control. In USPSA you can fall to the ground during a cof, but as long as you don't lose control of the firearm and break the 180 etc. you can continue. You are in the right on this one.

JT

Is that better? :P :P

Yes, thank you.... ;)