Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib at today's match

ah1356

This happened on the second shot of a paper target, so I had plenty of time to stop. The slide cycled and a live round was in battery. This pic was taken after the gun was safe, of course.

This was a borrowed gun, so I was very lucky that it was undamaged. I had shot the previous stage with my own ammo to compare the loads. Fortunately this happened with the ammo I was loaned with the gun. It's a MG 200gr CMJ, and almost exactly halfway out of the muzzle.

My match today could have had a very, very bad ending. Instead nobody was hurt and there was no expensive kaboom. We ended up with a cool story, some amazing pictures, and a reminder that this is a dangerous sport and we can never be too careful at the range or the bench.

Squib%202.jpg

The recoil was different, but what I recognized was the sound. The gun went "Bang-Bang .. Bang-Bang .. Bang-PFFFfffff." I RO'd a shooter a few weeks who had a sideways primer (with Win White Box ammo of all things) and it made a similar sound. If it had not been for that experience I may not have recognized it as quickly.

I'm a cyclist, and it sounded a lot like a road tire going from 125psi to zero in about a second.

Luckily this was on the second shot on a target. I doubt I could not have stopped in time if it happened on the first shot.

Clearly this could have had a much less happy ending...

The ammo was loaded on a 1050 with a powder check, and my friend who did it is an extremely experienced reloader and master-class shooter.

I don't want anyone to think I'm pointing fingers at him. It's just a reminder that stuff like this can happen to anyone at any time, and we should all be on our toes.

The ammo was loaded on a 1050 with a powder check, and my friend who did it is an extremely experienced reloader and master-class shooter.

I don't want anyone to think I'm pointing fingers at him. It's just a reminder that stuff like this can happen to anyone at any time, and we should all be on our toes.

Yes. To err is human.

Your example is a perfect reminder that to shoot fast we need to reload SLOW.

Had a squib this weekend too. Was lucky in a different way though.

Mine happened on the first of two shots on a target that was 5ft away, so I'd already pulled the trigger for the next shot. The lucky part was that the squib had just barely moved into the barrel, and it was still occupying the space where the bullet on the subsequent round should have been. The result was that it failed to go into battery. If it hadn't done that, I would've been a very unhappy camper...

That was not a no powder load. More likely it was a fouled powder load. I've seen some presses with so much lube/oil on them I would never touch of a round loaded on said machine. Might mention it to your friend, just in case.

Will dillons lube cause this type of fouling if it is still in the case when powder is added? If so must you size, then clean the lube of before charging the case? /

That was not a no powder load. More likely it was a fouled powder load. I've seen some presses with so much lube/oil on them I would never touch of a round loaded on said machine. Might mention it to your friend, just in case.

Will dillons lube cause this type of fouling if it is still in the case when powder is added? If so must you size, then clean the lube of before charging the case?

Yes it can. A small amount, if lightly coated, probably not. There are probably millions of rounds fired every year with some cae lube inside the case. Fouling of the primer is more of a concern with case lube than the larger volume of the powder charge.

On one specfic accident reconstruction with a rifle, I placed a drop of oil in some powder and a drop of oil in some primers. Then loaded 5 cases with a fouled primer and 5 with fouled powder. The fouled primers were pretty much duds. Two of the fouled powders were slow burns/fizzles. One bullet left the bore, one did not. The other three fired, but with a slightly lower velocity. Lots of variables, so I don't think there can be any certain answer to "X" amount or less is okay.

Had a squib this weekend too. Was lucky in a different way though.

Mine happened on the first of two shots on a target that was 5ft away, so I'd already pulled the trigger for the next shot. The lucky part was that the squib had just barely moved into the barrel, and it was still occupying the space where the bullet on the subsequent round should have been. The result was that it failed to go into battery. If it hadn't done that, I would've been a very unhappy camper...

This same thing happened to me today. No pffft like I would have expected. Thought I had a dud, rack, tap, rack ,tap etc. Nothing would go into battery so I went to safe area and removed. Not cool at all. Could have been much worse...

My question is: Do you think that with that much of the bullet sticking out of the muzzle, that the air/pressure from the next round (if it were fired) would push the bullet from the muzzle without damaging the gun?

How much force did it take to remove the bullet from the muzzle?

We wondered the same thing. The consensus was that the next round "probably" would have pushed it out, but nobody volunteered to test it by pulling the trigger.

Even though it was 1/2 way out of the muzzle, it was still very tightly stuck. We had to give the squib rod a few good thumps with a small hammer to get the bullet out.

You can definetly tell its a real pick, you can see the grove marks on the bullet. really cool pic, really scary situation. Thanks for posting that, really makes you stop and think about how important it is to be careful when you are reloading.

Awesome pick! What are the chances?

I hose down the inside of a bullet box with dillon lube, and then fill it half full of brass and shake until the wife becomes annoyed. That way, no lube can get inside the cases.

I shoot revo, and don't lube my match ammo for it because it picks up trash and keeps the rounds from falling in the gun. I could tumble loaded rounds, but it's easy to get .38 minor through the machine.

When I use my 650 and follow the directions and use Dillon lube on my cases, some lube is definitely inside the cases. Do y'all recommend tumbling the cases after sizing to get rid of the lube?

Use Hornady One Shot instead. It doesn't effect the powder like the Dillon lube.

I'll try the one shot. Thanks. I've used it before on 308 with stuck cases as a result. I know 9mm is a different game.

Yep it sucks for rifle cases. I use Dillon lube for rifle cases but it gets tumbled off before the powder drop happens.

A fouled powder load makes sense since the powder check didn't catch it. R,