Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib at today's match

ah1356

A fouled powder load makes sense since the powder check didn't catch it. R,

That's my guess too. This is consistent with the hissing sound sound it made, as opposed to a "pop" of a round with a primer and no powder.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder how many participants in this thread advocated lubing cases (even when using carbide dies) in another thread. :surprise::roflol::roflol:

No lube ever touches my pistol cases, only rifle and I position the cases so no lube goes inside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The next round would have bulged or split the barrel. Please don't ask me how I know this. There is a raging debate on the 1911 pro forum about how this can happen.

There are plenty of experts that say a bullet must exit the muzzle to actuate the short recoil 1911 design. I have seen this disproved on 2 separate occasions so I know it can happen. The real question, yet to be resolved, is how.

Why are people lubing pistol brass? I really want to know. I assume everyone is using carbide dies and tumble cleaning their brass before loading so ... ?

I get it with rifle cases but I hand lube each case right before sizing, then hand wipe it with a towel before moving to the next case. What's the rush?

There are plenty of experts that say a bullet must exit the muzzle to actuate the short recoil 1911 design. I have seen this disproved on 2 separate occasions so I know it can happen. The real question, yet to be resolved, is how.

Had it happen on my .45 once bullet entered just into the rifling and cycled the action....fortunately the following round would not chamber even after I tried to forcefully seat with the palm of my off hand to the BoMars.... still have a faint scar to remind me...

I think it happens because you are in the "cycling zone" of pressure with a reduced power loading you never get to the delayed locking level of pressure on the breech face IE: enough to cycle but not enough to cause the mech. to lock until pressure drops... I recall a dryfire kit that went onto a SCUBA tank and cycled the pistol with a shot of compressed air,.. I am going with that theory but using a well stuck projectile and enough powder to produce similar volume of gas/recoil impulse

I am not an arms expert but it seems to make sense to me the one I can't figure out is the blown .45ACP case heads and folks always claiming the 1911 fired out of battery always looks like an overcharge to me but...

to the Posters who have had the squibs,..glad it all worked out for the better for ya..

John

• 3 months later...

I had one recently, but not a true squib. After the last shot, which we heard hit steel, when I showed clear an empty casing fell out about 1/3 full of powder. WEIRD?!? We checked the barrel, no squib.

• 1 month later...

Why are people lubing pistol brass? I really want to know. I assume everyone is using carbide dies and tumble cleaning their brass before loading so ... ?

I get it with rifle cases but I hand lube each case right before sizing, then hand wipe it with a towel before moving to the next case. What's the rush?

Because it makes the press much easier to operate.

What's the rush? Reloading isn't my hobby. Shooting is.

I wonder how many participants in this thread advocated lubing cases (even when using carbide dies) in another thread. :surprise::roflol::roflol:

No lube ever touches my pistol cases, only rifle and I position the cases so no lube goes inside.

funny.

I lube by spraying the inside of a gal ziplock. I then add the brass, seal the bag and roll it around for a few minutes.

No lube gets inside my cases either.

There is more than one path to get to the same place. :surprise:

Imagine that.

Because it makes the press much easier to operate.

What's the rush? Reloading isn't my hobby. Shooting is.

Fair enough. Although I've never found my Dillon 650 a problem to operate so long at the ram and other wear points are properly lubed. I've never seen rushing recommended in any reloading manuals. But to each his own.

A friend told me to try lubing my pistol brass before reloading on my 650.

If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. It's noticeably easier to operate the press. I figure 20-30K cycles of that handle a year, let's make it as easy on me as possible.

I really don't care for reloading. It's a necessary evil. If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I'd be selling my Dillons and making a call to Atlanta Arms and Black Hills for a truckload shipment. :)

Use Hornady One Shot instead. It doesn't effect the powder like the Dillon lube.

Oh yes it does!

I hosed down some brass with aerosol One Shot, then loaded it before the One Shot dried.... I cleverly saved that ammo for a Regional NRA AP championship... I had 4 squibs that day before I switched to my practice ammo. The squibs each had a clump of damp powder in them.

The best part is that at dinner the night before a shooter had been complaining of squibs loading with a XL-650 and I loudly bragged that I used a Xl-650 and had never had a squib.

Now I always make it a rule to wait a day after lubing a batch of brass.

When the bullet moves forward, even if it's a squib that does not leave the barrel, the center of mass moves forwards which means that the barrel+slide *must* move to the rear. If it moves to the rear far enough for the link to pull the locking lugs out of the slide, the pressure acts on the brass like a piston and shoves the slide to the rear as designed.

Whether or not the squib can cycle the gun totally depends on if the change in center of mass can unlock the barrel from the slide. If the barrel is fit such that there is not much locking lug engagement and/or fit with the barrel/slide too far to the rear so that the link is pulling down as soon as the barrel moves, it makes a squib cycling the slide even more likely.