Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the S&W 356 TSW Limited or Production?

XDman

Make sure its on the list for production, there are only specific guns accepted. My wife has a cz p07 duty which is a dasa 9 with a decocker but its not production legal because its not on the list yet. I would email the office at uspsa and they will answer this question for you.

Like pointed out in prior posts, unless the specific model is on the production approved list, you cannot use it in production. Also, in limited, you would be shooting minor even if you were making power factor because you need at least a .40 for major.

My wife has one of the S&W 356 TSW pistols and I was wondering if this would be considered a Production or a Limited gun?

If it's the single action Performance Center gun, it's really a gun without a home in USPSA...which is uncommon. Production guns have to be some kind of double-action (DA/SA, DAO, etc), and they have to be on the list of approved models.

In Limited, you can use a SA gun, but you need .40 or larger to score Major. You're also going to be competing against people with 20-22rd guns. So, you'll be short on magazine capacity, by a lot, and losing points on scoring. Those two things can really discourage new shooters. If it's more for fun, load up some mild ammo for it, get enough mags that you can put 40 rounds on her belt, and have some fun. R,

If I recall...the .356TSW was a cartridge developed back when Brian, Mike Plaxco, Judy Wooley competed for Smith and Wesson.

Limited Division was still being developed. 9x19 major was not allowed unless loaded to OAL of 1.250. So cartridges like 9x21 and .356TSW were developed for major PF. There was talk of this round being allowed as major cartridge for the new division. but that did not come to pass.

there was a guy in my club that fell in love with all things smith, including the 356 tsw round. he had a couple of performance center limited gun, may be an open gun all with the smith frame mounted safeties. I mean this guy had money and under the old rule if 3 manufactures loaded a round to meet major PF, then it could be scored as major. I remember talking with him when a second company started to load the 356 round to major, and he was thinking about having a 3rd manufacture load a special run for HIM just to meet the rule requirements. then uspsa changed the rule to 40 cal. minimum for limited and he got pissed and left the game.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I do have brass, about 1000 still new, and 2000 once or twice fired. Nice gun.

That won't be enough brass, because some matches are lost brass matches - where it lands, there it stays.

Send it to S&W and get a 9mm barrel fitted. 9mm brass is cheap and plentiful.

I think the value of the gun may increase because of the 2 barrels plus the brass that you have will make it more attractive to buy. Just my opinion.