Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal rifle - JP LRP-07 or LWRC REPR?

MarcO

I just had an unexpected financial windfall and am considering a new heavy metal rifle for 3 gun.

What are your thoughts on the JP LRP-07 vs the LWRC REPR, both with 18" bbl? Both are approximately the same price and I would have to give the JP a slight nod for their trigger vs the Gissele non adjustable that comes with the REPR. JP also gets a plus for their support of our sport. Otherwise the rifles seem to be very similar.

Looking for insight into the performance of the two rifles and I don't have any personal experience with either, although I do have some with JP in 223.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

I own and compete with a JP LRP-07, so I can speak of what I think about it. I've personally never heard of the LWRC REPR so I can not judge it.

I picked up a JP LRP-07 this year and am absolutely impressed with. I actually got to go inside the JP shop and see them build the rifles. The quality of workmanship put into their rifles is impressive and you will notice it the moment you put your hands on one of their rifles.

I got the rifle about three before attending the Ozarks 3-Gun match. I only had enough time to fire a few rounds to get the rifle sighted in with iron sights, tune the adjustable gas block for my ammo, and get familiar with the rifle. During the match, I was absolutely amazed with my JP LRP-07. I found myself engaging close targets slow at first because I was used to the 308's longer recovery time from the heavy recoil on my other rifles. As I took shot after shot, I progressively sped up as I realized that the recoil was very manageable and I could engage the targets faster than I ever had with my other rifles. The JP LRP-07’s low-mass bolt and low-mass buffer working with the adjustable gas block made it handle the recoil well.

Consider this...there are a lot of competitors out there using a rifle with some sort of JP component in it. That in itself says a lot about the JP products.

As an experiment I shot a JP last season in HM, and it performed well. It was a good way to go. I have decided to go back to my previous platform, but your mileage may vary. Acurate, dependable, and easy to load and handle. I just prefer the sights on my other rifle and it's superior natural point of aim for me. Shoot whatever you choose, just get out there and play!

Of the two, I'd say go with a JP. It's built for the game by people who shoot it.

But, considering the price of the JP, I'd recommend a Springfield M1A and about 2K rounds of 7.62x51 ball. I've been using one in HM for two years and have yet to find any faults in it.

That's one of the neat things about HM. It's not dominated by any one rifle type like Tac Optics. M1As, AR patterns, and even the FAL in Kelly Neal's hands have won major matches. Never heard of a HK-91 in 1st place though....(and for good reason!)

Edited by Bryan 45

I have an 18" REPR waiting for me to get home on R&R from Iraq next week. I will let you know what I think of it afterwards. I went with the LWRC because in addition to a gun for 3 Gun I was looking for a new .308 battle rifle (for the zombies).

----------JP----------

Buy it, you won't look back.

Yea you will.....to see who is passing you to the checked flag :roflol:

I just had to jab ya Jay!

Best to you

Patrick

Time to poke the bear with a stick.

M1A has won zero titles. I think you could probably end up winning with a Garand.

That looks like a nice JP LRP you are shooting in the 3 Gun Nation article.

Take care Patrick,

Jay

----------JP----------

Buy it, you won't look back.

Yea you will.....to see who is passing you to the checked flag :roflol:

I just had to jab ya Jay!

Best to you

Patrick

Time to poke the bear with a stick.

M1A has won zero titles. I think you could probably end up winning with a Garand.

That looks like a nice JP LRP you are shooting in the 3 Gun Nation article.

Take care Patrick,

Jay

Well done Jay....Touche'

That IS a VERY nice JP LRP I am shooting. It is an amazing... Surgical Bullet Implacement Tool

Best to you my friend.

Patrick

That JP is a sexy competition rifle. I might have to pick one of them up next year. I never even thought about JP when I was shopping for/picking what SA .308 platform rifle I wanted to buy. It wouldn't have changed my mind away from the LWRC, as I couldn't put my suppressor mount comp and supressor on the JP, but from a pure competition standpoint the JP does look superior.

One important factor that has not been touched upon is that there are two different operating systems being utilized in the JP vs. the REPR. Direct impingement and gas piston. While I know that some shooters on the forums here are running piston guns to different degrees of success, all things being equal a D.I. gun does in fact have a smoother recoil impulse and less reciprocating mass. In the game that we are referring to this translates into faster splits and the sights not leaving the target (as much). Zombie killing? Yeah, I'd probably choose a REPR. Trying to post the absolute best score I can at RM3G? JP LRP-07.

Lets not forget all that John Paul does for us in this sport. Its just simple respect to do business with his company in return.

as I couldn't put my suppressor mount comp and supressor on the JP,

Why not? It has the standard threads for a .308. All it takes is a heat gun and a wrench.

Right on I am adding some JP rifles to my "to buy list". I didn't realize that the comp is just threaded on like normal, figured that they made their own barrels with the comp machined as part of the barrel. You know what they say about assumption.... :)

as I couldn't put my suppressor mount comp and supressor on the JP,

Why not? It has the standard threads for a .308. All it takes is a heat gun and a wrench.

Right on I am adding some JP rifles to my "to buy list". I didn't realize that the comp is just threaded on like normal, figured that they made their own barrels with the comp machined as part of the barrel. You know what they say about assumption.... :)

You would be hard pressed to find the line where the barrel stops, and the comp starts, it is well blended!

chiming in with a beat-down for the G3

Never heard of a HK-91 in 1st place though....(and for good reason!)

but you will see HK-91 owners first in line at the chiropractors! :roflol:

sorry, can't pass up an oppty to whine about how that thing beats the heck out of my shoulder. i sold it a while a ago and still bear it a grudge...

After considerable thought and introspection, I have changed my mind and gone ahead and ordered an REPR. My primary reason was a less than satisfactory experience with JP customer service on two separate occasions and how they handled these problems with one of their rifles.

I have been using one of their early 308 match rifles for about 6 years. This rifle was purchased directly from JP and was built on one of the Bushmaster/RRA early upper and lower receivers. In 2007, the extractor on the rifle failed and I contacted JP to order a replacement. The service person told me that they didn't carry any parts for those rifles anymore since they were using another platform and I would need to contact bushmaster. No offer to assist me find the part - nothing. After a considerable amount of time calling and begging both bushmaster and RRA I was able to get RRA to send me an extractor.

Last summer while preparing for a match, the tail on the bolt carrier broke. I understand this was a common problem with the early guns and that they had to change their design as a result. I again called JP and was politely told they couldn't help me and to call bushmaster. Even though Bushmaster has not made this particular style rifle for a number of years they took the time to find a solution and were kind enough to replace the part at no charge but required me to sent the upper in so the gun could be headspaced. They were basically honoring the warranty of another manufacturer who just happened to use their parts.

I have another JP rifle that I purchased in 1995 that has worked like a champ all these years with no problem, and have never had an issue when contacting them for information on purchasing a rifle. Their products are good and they deliver on time. That being said, their after service in these two instances was terrible. I did not purchase the rifle from bushmaster or RRA, I purchased it from JP. To be told I'm on my own when the rifle fails is completely unacceptable. An offer of assistance in finding the right parts, assistance of any kind other than telling me to "call Bushmaster" would have gone a long way and saved me time and effort.

Bottom line, in both of these situations, JP did not stand behind their product even to the point of assisting me in finding a solution. So I won't be buying my new rifle from them. Not sure about any future purchases, but I will have to think long and hard before I purchase another rifle from them. If I do it will be one of their proprietary products so that they will not be able to pawn off any problems on their suppliers.

Thanks for everyones input. Based on most everyone's input I almost went ahead and bought the JP, but on reflection decided not to.

Regards

Edited by MarcO

In trying to understand your issue with JP, they did not make available to you at your convenience parts that they did not originally manufacture and no longer carried in their stock, with one of those parts being significantly redesigned by the original manufacturer to correct a defect. In both instances they did however direct you to the appropriate manufacturer to resolve the issue...is this correct?