Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Bob Dylan Songs or Albums

benos

I've always liked Bob Dylan, but never really listened to him that much. Recently i've become obsessed with two songs from the I'm Not There soundtrack: Goin' to Alcapulco, and Senor. On the soundtrack, Goin' to Alcapulco is covered by Calexico, with Jim James (from My Morning Jacket - I'm a huge fan) on the lyrics. And Senor cover is also done by Calexico, with Willie Nelson doing the singing. The are both just beautiful songs - I listen to both of them first thing every morning to start the day. (The I'm Not There soundtrack overall is excellent.)

This afternoon I downloaded both the CDs those songs are on: Street Legal, and The Basement Tapes. So I'm looking forward to listening to those.

One Dylan album that I have, that I forgot I had until a Dylan song came on with the iPod on shuffle, is Johh Wesley Harding (1968). It's pretty kick ass.

So I was wondering - who has some favorite songs or albums that I could check out.

be

Masters of War

Come you masters of war

You that build the big guns

You that build the death planes

You that build all the bombs

You that hide behind walls

You that hide behind desks

I just want you to know

I can see through your masks.

You that never done nothin'

But build to destroy

You play with my world

Like it's your little toy

You put a gun in my hand

And you hide from my eyes

And you turn and run farther

When the fast bullets fly.

Like Judas of old

You lie and deceive

A world war can be won

You want me to believe

But I see through your eyes

And I see through your brain

Like I see through the water

That runs down my drain.

You fasten all the triggers

For the others to fire

Then you set back and watch

When the death count gets higher

You hide in your mansion'

As young people's blood

Flows out of their bodies

And is buried in the mud.

You've thrown the worst fear

That can ever be hurled

Fear to bring children

Into the world

For threatening my baby

Unborn and unnamed

You ain't worth the blood

That runs in your veins.

How much do I know

To talk out of turn

You might say that I'm young

You might say I'm unlearned

But there's one thing I know

Though I'm younger than you

That even Jesus would never

Forgive what you do.

Let me ask you one question

Is your money that good

Will it buy you forgiveness

Do you think that it could

I think you will find

When your death takes its toll

All the money you made

Will never buy back your soul.

And I hope that you die

And your death'll come soon

I will follow your casket

In the pale afternoon

And I'll watch while you're lowered

Down to your deathbed

And I'll stand over your grave

'Til I'm sure that you're dead.

Edited by sirveyr

Dylan played here last month. The first concert sold out so quickly that another, later show was added. The local reviewer could find nothing kind to say about his vocals. I'm a fan of his early work. Don't miss the Blonde on Blonde album. One of my favorite songs is still Desolation Row.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I highly recommend checking out:

Recently i've become obsessed with two songs from the I'm Not There soundtrack: Goin' to Alcapulco, and Senor. On the soundtrack, Goin' to Alcapulco is covered by Calexico, with Jim James (from My Morning Jacket - I'm a huge fan) on the lyrics. And the Senor cover is also done by Calexico, with Willie Nelson doing the singing.

"There must be some way out of here" said the joker to the thief

"There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief

Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth

None of them along the line know what any of it is worth.

"No reason to get excited", the thief he kindly spoke

"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke

But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate

So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view

While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl

Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

"Here comes the story of the hurricane"

By far my favorite Dylan song. Amazing story behidn the song as well but the real thing I see is Wooderson (Matthew McConaghey) from Dazed and Confused walking through that little arcade place as this songs plays in the background.

Yeah, I'm a Dylan freak. All the early stuff is good.

"Jokerman" from Infidels is really good. with reggae superstars Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare on bass and drums and Mick Taylor from the Rolling Stones on lead guitar.

A really new song that is great is "Things Have Changed" from Modern Times.

One of the greats.

Buckets Of Rain, Tangled Up In Blue, The Girl From North County, It A Hard Rain, Bob Dylan's Dream, Highway 61 Revisited, Desolation Row, heck there are probably hundreds, but the one that makes me get serious goosebumps and I really don't know why is Visions Of Johanna. I like his music, his voice, and as far as Mr. Diamond, well he can sit in the backseat AFAIC

Recently i've become obsessed with two songs from the I'm Not There soundtrack: Goin' to Alcapulco, and Senor. On the soundtrack, Goin' to Alcapulco is covered by Calexico, with Jim James (from My Morning Jacket - I'm a huge fan) on the lyrics. And Senor cover is also done by Calexico, with Willie Nelson doing the singing. The are both just beautiful songs - I listen to both of them first thing every morning to start the day. (The I'm Not There soundtrack overall is excellent.)

After I watched 'I'm Not There' I obsessed about the same two songs. 'Goin to Alcapulco' and 'Senor' are incredible! Both definitely get you to a mood...

• 2 weeks later...

As a fairly old buzzard I remember seeing Dylan live in Baltimore in 1965 or 66.

Still have a soft spot in my heart for those early days.

Freewheeling probably gives the best music of his earlier acoustic days. Strong on lyrics. Then Highway 61 Revisited samples the early move to electric. Both are still on my playlists and I never tire of listening to them.

I finally got see Dylan in Nashville a couple of years ago. One more thing checked off my list.

Knockin on Heaven's Door, Tangled up in Blue, and Stuck Inside Mobile are some of my current favorites...but just because they are the latest I've listened to - I like all his tunes.

Here is an interesting cover of Tangled up in Blue:

Edited by GunCat

• 2 weeks later...

They just re-released a ton of the early Bob Dylan recordings in their original mono format. If any of you guys are audio-freaks it's definitely worth the money. Most of Dylan's early stuff was recorded in mono, and then artificially converted(badly) to stereo during the stereo craze of the 70's. For the first time since their original release, you can buy the original mono version, and it sounds MUCH better. All of the songs sound more soulful and less produced.

As for my favorite Dylan tune it's a tie between Don't think twice it's alright, and Man in me.

They just re-released a ton of the early Bob Dylan recordings in their original mono format. If any of you guys are audio-freaks it's definitely worth the money. Most of Dylan's early stuff was recorded in mono, and then artificially converted(badly) to stereo during the stereo craze of the 70's. For the first time since their original release, you can buy the original mono version, and it sounds MUCH better. All of the songs sound more soulful and less produced.

As for my favorite Dylan tune it's a tie between Don't think twice it's alright, and Man in me.

What records are those on?

be

What records are those on?

be

Shamelessly copied from amazon:

Bob Dylan’s first 8 studio albums in mono for the first time ever on CD:

Bob Dylan

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

The Time They Are A-Changin'

Another Side Of Bob Dylan

Bringing It All Back Home

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

John Wesley Harding

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Mono-Recordings-Bob-Dylan/dp/B003XRDYX2