Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need advice on 9mm reloading

hkguy

Hi all

I am new to this forum and reloading (at least 9m) I have been doing a bunch of research and i think im going to start off using titegroup and zero/berry's bullets. I have been looking for loading data and come up a bit short on that end.

i have some titegroup and am looking to get either zero or barry's 115gr and or 124 gr bullets and im looking for a starting point to make a up a few batches on my new press.

thanks in advance

Do you have a loading manual with load data in it? What does it say to start at?

IMO, I would skip the plated bullets, Zero, Montana Gold, Precision Delta are better, and sometimes(often) cheaper than plated.

Try a search of titegroup and 124 and you'll have days of reading the same loads over and over.. probably around 4-4.2gr and a 124gr Jacketed bullet.

www.hodgdon.com has data also for Titegroup..

good luck, and welcome to the addiction. :cheers:

I'd also ditch the plated bullets and just use Montana Gold jacketed. I screwed with some plated stuff at first. But Montana gold is so easy to deal with I just stick with them. I order online and 3 days later the postman shows up all bitter with a super heavy box of lead for me!

Like others said search here for 9mm, there are lots of threads like this one a few down....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89264

Edited by jid2

+1 on no plated. My production load w/124gr Zero is 4.3gr ofTiteGroup @ 1.145 @ 1040 fps out of a 4" Sig 226. Be sure to check your 9 mm brass with a magnet if it sticks toss it out, it is a steel case in disguise. A safe start fr you would be 4.0gr.

I did both 115 and 124 loads with titegroup. Ended up at 4.1gr with the 115gr XTP at 1.090", and still don't know for the 124gr MG.

My gun is at the factory right now, and the loaner is a Taurus 92 (which is not my nice kimber). I haven't chrono'd my loads yet, but the 4.2gr I loaded up where "hot".

Always start at least 10% less than the load listed and work your way up. That's usually -.4gr or so for titegroup. So if it lists 4.2gr max, then start at 3.8gr. Also, pay very close attention to the OAL that goes with the published data. Shorter means you need less powder for the same velocity. Using a max load and shorter OAL is not very safe...

Berrys work just fine! And are cheaper than MG, just bought 1000 124's for 70 bucks to try that bullet weight out. For what MG is charging for there stuff they must have real gold mixed in with copper jackets....

Where are they that cheap ?

Berrys work just fine! And are cheaper than MG, just bought 1000 124's for 70 bucks to try that bullet weight out. For what MG is charging for there stuff they must have real gold mixed in with copper jackets....

Where are they that cheap ?

I got 1000 124's and 1000 147's for 163 bucks delivered from powder valley. They were running low on them when I bought them last week? So they maybe out of stock now

Use whatever bullet shoots the best out of your gun. The best prices I have seen for berry's are at powdervalleyinc.com. Also check out Precision Delta; they have great prices and shipping is free.

I started off using lead cast and have yet to have a problem with them. I would suggest going with 124gr or more. The heavier the projectile, the easier it is to knock down steel.

I personally use W231 with 124 LRN 4.0-4.2gr! Once I'm done with all my lead (that I probably ordered to much of)I would like to switch to FMJ or CMJ.

I loaded 50 124gr cast lead with 3.8 of titegroup with an OAL of 1.125 and 60 with 4.0 gr and all went off except 1 of the 4.0 and that needed a double strike out of my SW9VE. I'm going to use up the rest of the titegroup with 3.8 since it worked just as well so i will get a few more rounds out of it.

I loaded 50 124gr cast lead with 3.8 of titegroup with an OAL of 1.125 and 60 with 4.0 gr and all went off except 1 of the 4.0 and that needed a double strike out of my SW9VE. I'm going to use up the rest of the titegroup with 3.8 since it worked just as well so i will get a few more rounds out of it.

I wasn't the 4.0 gr that made it fail to go off on the first strike. It was probably a high primer, make sure you seat the primers all the way!

I did both 115 and 124 loads with titegroup. Ended up at 4.1gr with the 115gr XTP at 1.090", and still don't know for the 124gr MG.

My gun is at the factory right now, and the loaner is a Taurus 92 (which is not my nice kimber). I haven't chrono'd my loads yet, but the 4.2gr I loaded up where "hot".

Always start at least 10% less than the load listed and work your way up. That's usually -.4gr or so for titegroup. So if it lists 4.2gr max, then start at 3.8gr. Also, pay very close attention to the OAL that goes with the published data. Shorter means you need less powder for the same velocity. Using a max load and shorter OAL is not very safe...

4.1 grains of Titegroup, behind a 115 grain bullet won't make "minor" pf out of my Glock 34, or my M&P Pro.

I generally run 4 grains of Titegroup behind a Zero 125 grain, .356 (.38 Super bullet)jhp. I've been playing around with some VV320 for 9mm, and it seems to be a lot cleaner but I haven't decided yet if it's that much better to justify the cost difference.

4.1 grains of Titegroup, behind a 115 grain bullet won't make "minor" pf out of my Glock 34, or my M&P Pro.

I generally run 4 grains of Titegroup behind a Zero 125 grain, .356 (.38 Super bullet)jhp. I've been playing around with some VV320 for 9mm, and it seems to be a lot cleaner but I haven't decided yet if it's that much better to justify the cost difference.

Sorry I misquoted myself a little bit. I put the 115 over 4.2gr of titegroup for my load. However, the 4.1gr easily makes minor in my 5" kimber. 4.1gr gives me 134.78 pf, and 4.2gr gives me 135.24pf. Minor is 130gr, IIRC, so there's plenty of margin in both of those loads.

Search for my thread on the XTP loads to see the data, if you want.

thanks for the info.

i limited to either plated or jacketed bullets as my barrels are all polygonal..

im leaning towards using 124gr zero bullets to start for now, just got to order my dies so i can start reloading :D

• 2 weeks later...

9mm Minor (130-132pf): I use 100% range brass run through 4 LEE dies. I recently changed and use the FCD (with zero crimp) as my #1 die. The FCD will 'lengthen' a bulged case from .0005 to over .001" "after" resizing it.

I've never had a cartridge that wouldn't feed in my lightly sprung CZ75B. I do sort brass and prefer Win, PPU and R&P. I don't use S&B or any case Ron or anyone else has painted.

P.S.: Ron, don't use 9mm cases with the bottom painted 'black'. It means the primer seated on the loose side.

Edited by 1SOW