Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thumb rest

snake32

I ran them for a couple of years. I think they give you a more consistent grip, but the position is weaker (wrist position) and they can make the dot track weird. I pulled mine, worked on grip strength, and like what I'm seeing. R,

does a thumb rest help with keeping a consistant grip? i have recently added a gogun *thumb rest [generic]* and was currious if it would help with grip consistanty. all comments welcome.

A lot of really good shooters use them. I used one. Then I went to the gangster mount for my c-more. There is no room for a T-rest.

I found my dot tracking more consistant without it. Better indexing was also part of my result. I must have been pushing the gun around with the extra grip pressures I use during shooting a stage. Also many think with a T-rest they can "control" recoil and end up with inconsitant gun movement/dot tracking. I think it is something each shooter will have to find out for themselves.

I just installed mine and shot one match. It is a learning experience. At this point I like it as I have small hands and took the GoGun and cut it back so I can move it to the rear and still remove the slide stop. At this point I think it gives me better recovery for the 2nd shot.

thanks,

George

I couldn't edit my earlier post...the thumb rests I used were a different brand and some that I cobbled together myself.

I found that the dot tracking on every variation of rest I tried simply wasn't ideal. The gun comes back, it meets resistance on one side of the gun, not both....let Newton tell you what's going to happen next. No amount of angle, wrist position, etc will change any of that. I will say that I think it led to a more consistent wrist/hand position on the support hand, which is one benefit. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I couldn't edit my earlier post...the thumb rests I used were a different brand and some that I cobbled together myself.

I found that the dot tracking on every variation of rest I tried simply wasn't ideal. The gun comes back, it meets resistance on one side of the gun, not both....let Newton tell you what's going to happen next. No amount of angle, wrist position, etc will change any of that. I will say that I think it led to a more consistent wrist/hand position on the support hand, which is one benefit. R,

No one wants to repeal Newton's law BUT the nature of the beast allows for opposable grip (unlike the generic thumbrest) which greatly overpowers any theoretical yaw induced assymetric recoil. No matter how you slice it the gun wants to yaw, even if just from trigger pull. The beauty of the opposable grip is that it automatically compensates for that and any other yaw forces.

PS I graduated with honors in Physics from Berkeley.

No one wants to repeal Newton's law BUT the nature of the beast allows for opposable grip (unlike the generic thumbrest) which greatly overpowers any theoretical yaw induced assymetric recoil. No matter how you slice it the gun wants to yaw, even if just from trigger pull. The beauty of the opposable grip is that it automatically compensates for that and any other yaw forces.

PS I graduated with honors in Physics from Berkeley.

If the left thumb is opposing anything, it's causing the gun to yaw to the right, relative to the boreline. The gun comes back, meets resistance on the left....it HAS to cause the gun to move right. You would need an opposing force on the other side of the gun to counteract it. Even if you can do that with your right hand, I don't want anything inducing any force/movement/whatever that my grip/thumb/etc has to overcome. If the thumb and rest aren't putting any force or resistance to the left side of the gun, it's not doing anything to fight muzzle rise. It's one or the other, not both. R,

A thumb rest doesn't really help with consistent grip, practice does. And as G-Man says it influences the gun only on one side.

when you shoot guns without the rest, it will create problems, especially if the rest causes you to modify your grip.

The first thing I was told in every class I have taken was to dump the thumb rest. When I finally did, then gun tracked a lot better

Trying to get back to the OP question about grip and the *thumb rest [generic]* in contrast to regular thumbrest.

I have shot with and without a regular thumbrest and now for several years the *thumb rest [generic]*. There is just no comparison between a regular thumbrest and a *thumb rest [generic]*. The grip is way different with the *thumb rest [generic]* for sure, and MUCH easier to get consistent grip every time. Actually the grip is a no brainer just put your thumb on and squeeze. Could not be easier. I have not gotten a bad grip since I started using it. And no more death grip either, it is very easy to use.

I have not found it to cause "weird dot movement" speculated by others, in fact the dot movement is way less with *thumb rest [generic]* and no sideways movement.

I have not seen too many at big matches but a lot of the guys at my local club got them this year and they are shooting way faster. I used to be able to beat most of them most of time, but now that most of our better shooters have the *thumb rest [generic]* I cant beat them anymore (probably not the only factor but one of them). So I think there is no doubt from what I observed it make folks faster. Also since the guys started using it, I have not heard the proverbial “ I didn’t get a good grip”. So besides me others feel the grip is way superior to traditional method or thumbrest.

Bottom line *thumb rest [generic]* is definitely not your fathers thumb rest.

Trying to get back to the OP question about grip and the *thumb rest [generic]* in contrast to regular thumbrest.

Where did the OP ask for a comparison to any other kind of rest?

I have not found it to cause "weird dot movement" speculated by others, in fact the dot movement is way less with *thumb rest [generic]* and no sideways movement.

If someone has too much dot movement, it's either poor grip technique (most likely), or a really bad choice of load and springs....not the wrong thing sticking off the side of the gun.

Any rest, even the absolute most perfect, wonderful rest ever designed, can only do one thing, and that's make the gun reset faster (in theory). If someone starts beating you because they can suddenly shoot faster, there are MUCH bigger things to worry about than equipment issues. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I think the OP has been answered, bottom line is some folks like thumb rests and some don't. It's a matter of personal taste. The OP brought up a good point in asking about a consistent grip as really, in the big picture, that is more important than controlling muzzle flip on an open gun. If it helps you get a consistent usable grip, great, if you have another way of getting a consistent grip, that's fine too. Thumb ledges have been around since the late 80's and their popularity is similar to the finger forward grip. If a big name shooter is using one at the time, it's the greatest thing, if not then it's not a big deal. In reality it shouldn't matter. It either works for you or it doesn't. You have to try it and see for yourself.

I am not trying to "HIJACK" the tread but I have a question about a *thumb rest [generic]*, If I press it hard will it make me go faster? :roflol:

Only joking, here is my question, I am debating on trying one out if not for any reason but to lift the left side of my gun off the table for table starts. Thoughts on that or move this crappy question somewhere else.

Thanks, :rolleyes:

I am debating on trying one out if not for any reason but to lift the left side of my gun off the table for table starts. Thoughts on that or move this crappy question somewhere else.

If you just want to have the gun propped for table starts, a slide racker out the left side is more helpful. R,

I am debating on trying one out if not for any reason but to lift the left side of my gun off the table for table starts. Thoughts on that or move this crappy question somewhere else.

If you just want to have the gun propped for table starts, a slide racker out the left side is more helpful. R,

+1.Also what CAN happen is the weight of the loaded magazine MAY tip your gun to the grip end instead of the muzzle (front). This even makes it worse than not having a GP as a prop.

Sorry for the drift.

Edited by edwin garcia

I would just like to say that the *thumb rest [generic]* should not be compared to *thumb rest [generic]* rest as they are totally different.

Also my personal opinion of those posters who dis it without even shooting it are just plain blowing smoke. Come on guys if you have not shot it and you are making an opinion,it sounds like you are trying to be an expert on something you know nothing about.

Edited by MRMAJOR

I have one (a CR Speed) on my gun and like it. Others don't have them, and like it that way. There's no right answer.

I do find it helps me get a consistent weak hand grip. In fact it makes it nearly impossible to get that part of my grip wrong. I do not use it for recoil control, not consciously anyway, and I do not perceive that it causes non-vertical dot tracking or any other asymmetries.