Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCW Pmag coupler

jimmcc

What results have you guys had with the California Competition Works Pmag coupler? I will be receiving one this week and wondered if it was reliable enough to use in a match next weekend. I won't have enough time to test it myself but 60 rounds in one mag could definitely come in handy. If these don't work what do you recommend? Thanks in advanced.

What results have you guys had with the California Competition Works Pmag coupler? I will be receiving one this week and wondered if it was reliable enough to use in a match next weekend. I won't have enough time to test it myself but 60 rounds in one mag could definitely come in handy. If these don't work what do you recommend? Thanks in advanced.

Sorry to say if you don't have time to test it, don't use it in a match. A match is a bad time to see what works, unless you like losing. I have no experience with the CCW Pmag coupler but I have stopped using Pmags in competition due to several instances (3)of double feeds, 2 at a match and one in practice. I personally use Tripp 42 and 52 round mags or a Beta if I want more capacity and I'm using Brownells or HK mags for 30 rounders.

Doug

Bad idea,...I agree with Doug.

I won't use anything (no matter how minor) at a match that hasn't been tested. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt!

Hell, I even hit the practice range after a complete cleaning.

Sorry to say if you don't have time to test it, don't use it in a match. A match is a bad time to see what works, unless you like losing. I have no experience with the CCW Pmag coupler but I have stopped using Pmags in competition due to several instances (3)of double feeds, 2 at a match and one in practice. I personally use Tripp 42 and 52 round mags or a Beta if I want more capacity and I'm using Brownells or HK mags for 30 rounders.

Doug

Doug check the feed lips on your P mags you may have a crack in one. P mags have worked great for me. Use what works for you but generally P mags work great. I have seen some develope a crack however on the feed lips. Mostly from sub zero weather training.

Pat

My personal preference for carrying 60 rounds on a stage is the FASTMAG .223 Pmag Coupler from Springer Precision(Store >3 Gun Accessories). I read about it here and after using it in several matches concur that it one of the best inventions since sliced bread. ;) My local matches have been doing some stages of late with three shooting positions and mandatory reloads between positions. While most guys are looking for a place to place a 3rd mag on their belt all I have to worry about is swapping between mags. Reloads are quick and clean, and the large footprint of the coupler is great for shooting prone or off of other improvised shooting positions. :cheers:

Doug

Doug check the feed lips on your P mags you may have a crack in one. P mags have worked great for me. Use what works for you but generally P mags work great. I have seen some develope a crack however on the feed lips. Mostly from sub zero weather training.

Pat

Checked both mags that had the problem, found nothing obvious. I think you just have to view them as disposable and get new ones every year or so. I don't keep them loaded so that is not the problem. I guess I just feel safer with metal mags. YMMV

Doug

One of our local guys was using the CCW coupler last weekend and it worked fine. It's certainly a lest costly solution to the hi-cap AR mag issue. Whether or not you try it for the first time at a match kinda depends on the match and how important it is to you.

I've used the PMAG coupler with two 30 rnd mags and had no problems. The mags were new and I loaded them down to about 58 rnds. The coupler makes for a long magazine so you can't use it for every situation. You will still need a side-by-side for prone or difficult barricade stages. Chuck Anderson used one at Iron Man this year and it worked great for him with 60 rnds loaded up in it. I haven't decided yet if the extra 10 rnds over a Nordic is worth it or not.

Is this what you are talking about? If so, i have one and love it. i did make sure to test it before using it in a match, but it was great. the only match ive used it, i really didnt NEED it on one stage, but used it bc i didnt want to need a make up shot and have to reload to get one ( i think it was a 28 or 29 round stage). I have since bought a Nordic +18 extension as well. A stage with 30-40 rounds will get that mag. anything more than that gets the big stick. its not going to be something you will want/need to use all the time, but there will most likely be a time somewhere where that 60 rounder will save you a reload and some precious time.