Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are These Accessories Essential?

doc540

Planning my start-up budget:

1. scale (digital preferred & the one recommended by the Enos store)

2. primer flip tray

3. case tumbler (I've saved thousands of once-fired brass cases)

4. media separator

5. chronograph

I've read dozens of threads, but haven't found a "Start-Up Essentials" list.

thnx

Don't forget the press.

edit: Just saw your other thread (SDB). My response looks awefully smart-ellec, I was aiming for funny. This looks like a good list, I'd add a dial caliper.

Edited by Kyle O

1. scale (digital preferred & the one recommended by the Enos store)

2. primer flip tray

3. case tumbler (I've saved thousands of once-fired brass cases)

4. media separator

5. chronograph

thnx

All of the above are essential for good reloading. If $$$ are tight you can possibly borrow a chrono but having your own is preferable. As others have said add a dial or digital caliper to your list of essentials.

Pat

You gonna need some cleaning media, case lube

and a measuring caliper.

thnx

I have digital calipers already, so I'll add walnut media and case lube.

When and how do you use case lube in the SDB process? (I know I've probably read that already, but it's not in my notes yet.)

I'm trying to buy as much as possible from the Enos store.

1. scale (digital preferred & the one recommended by the Enos store)YES

2. primer flip tray maybe-not needed but useful

3. case tumbler (I've saved thousands of once-fired brass cases) YES

4. media separator maybe-not needed but useful

5. chronograph Mandatory for loading-no mandatory for finding velocities and working up loads for power factors-yes

thnx

Edited by Corey

Lay out your cleaned cases in some sort of tray and spray the cases lightly. A little goes a long way.

Understood and makes sense that way.

Can a common sifter of some kind be used as a media separator (as long as the mesh fits the media)?

4. media separator maybe-not needed but useful

5. chronograph Mandatory for loading-no mandatory for finding velocities and working up loads for power factors-yes

I've read dozens of threads, but haven't found a "Start-Up Essentials" list.thnx

Corey,

I would highly suggest the op to buy a primer flip tray UNLESS all the primers he buys comes in trays with all the primers oriented in the correct way (facing up or down). But if he were to use Federal (they really need to change their packaging), CCI or any primers that come in compact packaging, he's gonna wish he spent 6 bucks on a cheapo flip tray from RCBS :goof:

Edited by yoshidaex

Can a common sifter of some kind be used as a media separator (as long as the mesh fits the media)?

Yes but the problem you face is getting media out of the cases unless you're gonna grab a handful of cases and flip them to empty out the media.

With a made for reloading separator, you just rotate/spin the separator till all the media drops out.

Theres a few cheap kits available online if you search.

Lay out your cleaned cases in some sort of tray and spray the cases lightly. A little goes a long way.

Understood and makes sense that way.

Yes, any sort of sifter will get you by for starters. They make a plastic media separator for about $7-8 that works pretty good. Looks like a prospectors pan with slots in the bottom.

I load with an SDB and for lubing cases I just use one of those silicone clothes and either put a couple of handfulls of brass in the cloth and work them around or use a small plastic bucket and just stir them around with the cloth in there. I get a can of spray silicone [Wally World $1.50] to refresh the cloth every now and them. This seems to work very will and it requires a very small amount of lube, plus it is quick and easy to use.

Primer flipper - absolutely.

I use a cookie baking sheet from Wally World. Cheap and holds about 150 cartridges easily. A quick spray with One Shot and awaay we go.:cheers:

Pat

4. media separator maybe-not needed but useful5. chronograph Mandatory for loading-no mandatory for finding velocities and working up loads for power factors-yes

I've read dozens of threads, but haven't found a "Start-Up Essentials" list.thnx

Corey,

I would highly suggest the op to buy a primer flip tray UNLESS all the primers he buys comes in trays with all the primers oriented in the correct way (facing up or down). But if he were to use Federal (they really need to change their packaging), CCI or any primers that come in compact packaging, he's gonna wish he spent 6 bucks on a cheapo flip tray from RCBS :goof:

haha, ive got like 4 or 5 that i use. they are not NECESSARY :sight: but EXTREMELY helpful and will save you time. if you're on a budget and want to save some pennies, here is one place. if you got the $ for one (they are cheap) get it! :)

Doc, you don't mention what caliber you're reloading.

Only reason I mention is that Back A Long Time Ago,

I reloaded only revolver (.41) and I didn't NEED

anything to clean cases (I wiped them with lube,

which cleaned them, before I loaded them) - didn't

have a caliper or a chrono (but, boy, did I have

some hot loads:(

If you're reloading semi-auto, you do need all

of the things listed - but you can get by without

most of them if you're reloading for a revolver.

Jack

Doc, you don't mention what caliber you're reloading.

Only reason I mention is that Back A Long Time Ago,

I reloaded only revolver (.41) and I didn't NEED

anything to clean cases (I wiped them with lube,

which cleaned them, before I loaded them) - didn't

have a caliper or a chrono (but, boy, did I have

some hot loads:(

If you're reloading semi-auto, you do need all

of the things listed - but you can get by without

most of them if you're reloading for a revolver.

Jack

Sorry, I forgot the info I've posted in other threads.

I'll be reloading 9mm and .38spl (when I buy the .38 dies)

I've saved all my 9mm and .38 brass so most of it will be once-fired.

I'm assuming even once-fire, picked-up-at-the-range brass needs to be cleaned, too.

Edited by doc540

One optional accessory is a case gauge. If you are loading pistol, I like the L.E. Wilson Max Gage:

"The Pistol Max Gage measures the maximum dimensions of a loaded round. This includes case length, max chamber dimensions, and max length of loaded round."

To lube cases try this as well. Get a gallon ZIPLOC bag and spray some one shot or the much cheaper silicone spray inside. About a two second blast will be plenty. Put about 200 pieces of cleaned brass in the bag and close it up. Just agitate the bag or knead it a little then dump in the bin. Works great. Like said before use very little. You should be able to feel a little lube on the cases but not so much that you have to clean it off after loading.

I was just reading another post on a different thread about lubing. Some guy put a silicone soaked rag in a plastic bag with all his clean brass (probably Sarge). Shake it, brass has enough lube to do fine in a carbide die. I've never lubed pistol brass. Loaded a few thousand 45's with no problem.

I've also never used a digital scale. It's that science teacher in me. I'm a fan of the balance. I've checked it with check weights and it's perfect. It just takes a bit more time to get your charge correct.....and it saved me a little bit of money.

I also use a cheap mesh bag to sift out the media. Pour everything into the mesh bag over a bucket, shake it a bunch, pour the clean brass into a container. Done. It's what I had laying around, so no money spent.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

Extra primer filler tubes. Not necessary but VERY handy.

Also, I strongly recommend a case gage. Its much easier to use then disassembling your pistol to chamber check. It helps in getting everything initially set up as well as doing random QC checks on the finished product. Again not necessary but VERY handy. I went many years without using one then I got one. Now I won't reload without one, it adds so much peace of mind that the rounds are good to go.

Good luck!

haha, ive got like 4 or 5 that i use. they are not NECESSARY :sight: but EXTREMELY helpful and will save you time. if you're on a budget and want to save some pennies, here is one place. if you got the $ for one (they are cheap) get it! :)

:goof: True, not NECESSARY but helpful and time saving.

The bottom line is the OP wants a bare bones, cheapest route into reloading.

But all the things mentioned here will save time and time is money correct? ;)

When and how do you use case lube in the SDB process? (I know I've probably read that already, but it's not in my notes yet.)

Go to your local drugstore, get a tube of pure, unscented lanolin (might have to ask the pharmacist). Put a couple hundred cleaned cases in a box or tray, dab about half the size of a pencil eraser on one of your hands, rub both hands together and spread the lanolin around. Then, sift your hands through the cases...pick up handfuls at a time, drag your hand through the center, etc. You don't need to touch every case, for this to work perfectly. The tendency is for most folks to use way too much the first time or two. When done properly, it puts just a little bit of lube on each case (lanolin is the actual lube in several commercial case lubes) and there's no need to tumble the cases after loading. The side benefit is that it's actually good for your skin.

Oh, get a media separator with a covered top. The dust from used tumbling media contains a lot of lead contamination, and you absolutely don't want to be breathing that. I actually dump the cases/media into the separator, and step away while the breeze carries the dust away from me (extra careful because of my high(ish) lead count. R,

I also use a cheap mesh bag to sift out the media. Pour everything into the mesh bag over a bucket, shake it a bunch, pour the clean brass into a container. Done. It's what I had laying around, so no money spent.

That method exposes you to quite a bit of lead from the media dust...not a good thing (coming from someone with a high lead count). R